86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some help with a couple items to repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with a couple items to repair

Hey guys, i have a 95 4runner and have a couple issues i was hoping you could help me diagnose....

1) My shifter on my manual trans will pop out of 1st gear on occasion, i had a buddy tell me u can replace something in the shift assembly to keep that from happening but i forgot what the part was named... any other info would be appreciated

2) i have an oil leak... around the pan is soaked and it is sprayed on the trans case, is this the oil pan gasket? any idea on the cost of repair of the leak and 1-5 difficulty to doing this job in the garage?

i don't want to get rid of this truck she has been sooooo good to me and is a great adventure vehicle for me. thanks guys!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
1. Shift seat bushing. Marlin crawler sells these, relatively cheap.

2. This could be any number of things, from a valve cover leak to an oil pan gasket, to a rear main. You need to clean off the engine, then monitor every day and see where the oil is leaking from. Then, repair as necessary.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

The valve covers and area around them look clean excuse my igorance what is the rear main seal and where is it located? There is quite a bit of build up on top of the flowing down to the transmission case
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as the transmission goes, it might be the seat bushing. This wears out over time and can cause problems. One potential indicator is a loose overall engagement feeling (it doesn't necessarily have to feel loose for there to be a problem, but it could be an indication in some cases). If you do find that this is the case and you were willing to go aftermarket, Marlin sells a kit that is supposedly pretty good; Don't quote me on that though, I don't have any personal experience with it, but somebody else might:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/sh...eat/index.html

Don't really know about the oil leak. Someone else with more knowledge and experience than I probably does.

Hope that's at least somewhat helpful.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Its not a Toy, but my wife's car has the popping out of gear problem. Its made worse when you're going up hill under moderate load. Its made better when you take off the rubber bands, hair scrunchies, and whatnot that she weights down the gear shifter with.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM

The marlin crawler shift seat kit is real easy to install. Here is a walk thru posted below. It is very through.

I just got done installing this kit 45 minutes ago.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Shifter.html

The two things I found slightly confusing is where you push down on the plate that surrounds the actual shift lever, you just have to turn the plate that surrounds the shift lever counter clockwise. Not the stick shift. I had a little leaking around the tower so I removed that at the same time and resealed it.

But here is how I got it loose.

1 loosen 4 bolts holding shift to tranny (this will release spring tension on the plate holding the shifter in place.
2 push down on the plate that holds the stick shift in place (the hole around the stick have 2 opposing sides that are flat and 2 that are rounded)
3) depress the plate with thumb and fore finger one hand and grab hold of it with needle nose pliers (other hand). Turn counter clockwise.
4) POP! Out it comes.
Also...
Make sure the 4 bolts securing the housing are still loose when trying to re-seat the shift shaft and retaining plate that secures it (The flat thing that is around the stick shift that you push down and turn counter clockwise.) I had tightened mine because I removed the entire top piece with the 4 bolts to deal with the leak. I made a tactical error and was trying to seat it and it was impossible with the 4 bolts tightened. Then I realized what a moron I was being. If your seat is real gone, you might get it out with those bolts tight, but with the new seat bushing, you wont get it back in with out the bolts loose.

Oh, and here was my quick fix for the internal boot that keeps water and debris out of the top of the transmission. Mine was toast and you really need this thing to keep crud and water out of the top end of the tranny if you use it for any real off road use, and even if you dont.

You will find a boot, beneath the actual shift boot, it is small and seats around the top of the tower. Mine was toast so I went in the garage and found an old rubber black chemical rubber glove. I cut the portion off just at the wrist area and kept the part from the wrist to the upper arm, I slid that over the bottom of the shift tower where the little internal boot seats (that keeps debris out of the upper end of your tranny). I took a bit of duct tape and folded it over and duct taped it so it was tight around the tower. Then I zip-tied it. I did the same for the upper portion then wrapped the upper portion with duct tape as well. You will never see this and I could not imaging trying to get a new one on there. I'm sure this would work just as well.

This is a very easy fix (the shift kit from marlin...) and made a HUGE amount of difference in the shifting of my truck. I could, before I installed the kit, while driving in 3rd gear take the shift and move it all the way into the 1st and 3rd position. After the 30 minute install the truck shifts as new. I highly recommend this kit for performance and ease of install.

If you need any assistance with the install PM me.

RJ

Last edited by rjfortuna; 01-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can also just pull the 4 bolts out, lift the entire shifter plate and do the install. It takes about 3 minutes.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Thats what I did. Was tough to get the front 2 bolts restarted tho with out lowering the tranny. I had to fiddle with it quite a bit to get them started. I couldnt get the stick re-installed with the stick shift installed in the housing tho. I had to take it back apart, get the 4 bolts in then reseat it with the locking mech.

RJ
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Rear Main Oil Seal

Ive got a 95 runner3.0 automatic that needs a rear main engine seal. A quote from the dealer was 525 for labor and a 45 dollar seal. About an 8 hour job i guess. Ill be checking around for someone who can do it cheaper, but i know it is a big job.

Good luck
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the record, you CAN get the shifters re installed using Marlins shifter sockets, without loosening the bolts. It took about 50 different attempts a whole bunch of cursing and a few beers.

What a Moron I am, All I had to do was loosen the bolts? Sweet.

K