Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can you mount a MAF/VMAF/AFM sideways?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you mount a MAF/VMAF/AFM sideways?

89 22re with the 82 Supra AFM

Can I mount the AFM sideways? I'm thinking I can since there isn't any fluid involved but I was talking to Bigbluepile about mounting options for the Supra mod and was stumped when he asked if there would be a problem with the little flapper thing if I mount it sideways.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Are you thinking like there would be air from going down the road pushing it open further then it should?? I wouldn't think it would be a problem since you have the filter on there. or else we would have heard more folks with 3rd gens that did the "deck plate mod" complaining its screwing up their performance.

on a side note, did your LCE header ever give you a CEL? I have the normal one everyone else has had (freeway, constant speeds) but I can't pull a code, so I checked my Supra MAF for resistance and the 3rd and 6th spots gave me a reading of 530 ( FSM says 20-400) Wondering if you ever checked your Supra MAF, since I know you said you came across a dead spot on the first one.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM

I didn't get any codes with the header nor did I ever check the MAF. I still have an odd dead spot and I'm almost 100% sure it's the TPS so I'll be pulling it, cleaning it and checking it as soon as I can track down a meter.

As far as why I asked the question about the mounting of the MAF I'm planning on mounting it to the intake plenum over where the throttle cable is and it will be hanging sideways. This way I can cut a hole in the hood for the filter and get air that isn't all hot from the engine compartment.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Interesting project. And you were a little geeked out when you drilled into your top to mount the rack, just imagine when it comes time to cut the hood!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Interesting project. And you were a little geeked out when you drilled into your top to mount the rack, just imagine when it comes time to cut the hood!!!
Man that hood is all jacked up anyway. I'll be happy to punch a hole in it for the air filter. I'm even going to order a set of marine vents to install in the hood over the top of the header to vent heat so there is going to be more than one hole cut that day.

Oh and I freaked about the top because I was afraid to let water in there.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Are you thinking like there would be air from going down the road pushing it open further then it should?? I wouldn't think it would be a problem since you have the filter on there. or else we would have heard more folks with 3rd gens that did the "deck plate mod" complaining its screwing up their performance.

on a side note, did your LCE header ever give you a CEL? I have the normal one everyone else has had (freeway, constant speeds) but I can't pull a code, so I checked my Supra MAF for resistance and the 3rd and 6th spots gave me a reading of 530 ( FSM says 20-400) Wondering if you ever checked your Supra MAF, since I know you said you came across a dead spot on the first one.
No, I was concerned with the fact that the flapper drives a flat spring that normally sits horizontally to the frame, lets say. I though maybe due to the weight of the door against the spring might cause idle issues or hard starts or something. Kinda why I didn't tilt mine when I bolted it to my new filter box.

on a side note, you should have bought a Downey... HA!!!

Anywho, I measured the resistance specs on my Supra AFM when I got but used the 22R-E specs due to the fact I could seem to find any FOR the Supra. I figured that if it was plug-n-play that those values "should" be the sameish...mine were all good. Junkers might have a good point though on cleaning out the TPS, god knows when yours was cleaned last!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
why dont you just get a pair of those AFM adapters, and bolt one on each side of the hood; one facing down into the engine compartment, and the other facing up, sandwiching the hood sheetmetal between the two with maybe a home-made gasket on each side between the adapter and the hood sheet metal

then run some duct tubing from the inlet of the AFM to the adapter facing under the hood, and then put the filter on the adapter facing up out of the hood

then you wont have to worry about having the meter on an angle and you can keep in it's stock orientation and bolted down somewhere

Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM

I guess you are right, about the MAF that is, there might be constant stress on the spring in either side mounting scenario. It seems like you might wear out the spring faster, but hell, it is a 28 year old spring.

And HEY! how bout you clean off that Downey, god knows when the last time it had a shine!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

lol! That's funny 'cause I was googling "how to clean a ceramic header" the other day!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
why dont you just get a pair of those AFM adapters, and bolt one on each side of the hood; one facing down into the engine compartment, and the other facing up, sandwiching the hood sheetmetal between the two with maybe a home-made gasket on each side between the adapter and the hood sheet metal

then run some duct tubing from the inlet of the AFM to the adapter facing under the hood, and then put the filter on the adapter facing up out of the hood

then you wont have to worry about having the meter on an angle and you can keep in it's stock orientation and bolted down somewhere

interesting thought, how would you make a release so you could open the hood with a metric butt ton of extra hose?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

I think he's crazy...

Last edited by BigBluePile; 01-26-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Adapters? For what ever reason I have no idea what that is.

The other reason for mounting the MAF to the intake is to free up the original battery location so I can either put the battery back there, install another battery or use that spot for on board air or something else with a +10 cool factor.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I think he's crazy...
At least my header is clean..
Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

*edited* Let me rephrase that last post...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM

You mean one of these above and below the hood, right??

And I thought you were originally going to mount it right side up on top of the intake manifold?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Damn I need one of those for mine!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM

You mean one of these above and below the hood, right??

And I thought you were originally going to mount it right side up on top of the intake manifold?
Again I have no idea what in the hell that is.

I still may mount it on top of the valve cover, hell it'd be an easy plate to make and mount but then I have to find some huge scoop to cover it. Might look cool for a while with it just sticking out of the hood. Or....... I could take the hood off and run it like I'm some sort of nut with a blower on there.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well to get back on topic...Mine is mounted sideways currently and I'm not experiencing anything odd. The connectors are on the bottom side so it fits under the hood. She runs fine...but again I must say. When I got her she ran like poo and for all I have done she runs 10X better. May run better if the AFM is sitting right maybe not. I'm happy with her so far.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah those adapters like pictured above is what I was talking about, lol
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like Lumpy has the right answer, unlike 'bleeder...

Quick Reply: Can you mount a MAF/VMAF/AFM sideways?