86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help un-lowering my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help un-lowering my truck

Hello all, glad to finally be a member! This forum has been very helpful ever since I bought my truck in November 2010.

So she's a '92 Hilux 22RE 2WD standard cab. I bought the truck from a guy on craigslist who had it lowered 3" drop. He used aftermarket lower control arms in the front and lowering blocks in the back (removed one leaf).

Well, even though I dont really like lowered trucks, I bought it anyways because the price was right, it was super clean, and very low miles. Well about a month after I bought it, started having engine troubles. I soon realized that it was either in a flood or driven into a lake, I can still see where the water line was in the guage cluster.

Did some major work to it, new computer, new mass airflow, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fan clutch, new plug wires & plugs, new EGR valve, new thermostat, new fuel pump relay, new serpentine belt, valves adjusted, etc...

Well she runs great now, so I can now finally focus on the cosmetics (raising the truck back up to stock height). I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have zero experience with steering/suspension/control arms, and I have no idea where to start. The rear end seems to be a peice of cake, but Im not sure what to do with the front. I have no idea what parts I need (or what they are called), or how to install them. Does anyone have a write-up? I would assume that the same process would apply to installing any aftermarket control arms, right?

I am assuming that I need to buy:

1. Toyota OEM control arms (only lower?)
2. OEM leangth shock absorbers
3. OEM leaf springs

Anything else? I can post pictures tonight if it would help. Also, if anyone is interested in selling me these parts, I would offer you a fair price. Or if someone here wants to lower their truck, I would have no problem doing a straight-up trade. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
your best bet is to find a salvage yard with a truck similar to yours and start taking parts. You could also find a donor junk truck as well and take parts from there. This will get you in the right "back to stock" direction. Upper/lower control arms, new ball joints new tie rods and such will be in the right direction as well. If i was in your shoes i would find out how exactly it was lowered and what parts are changed/modified to do the drop. Shouldn't be too hard. Do some research as to how your truck was lowered, like ball joint flip, blocks in the rear, control arms, there are several ways to achieve a dropped truck. Post some detailed pics of your front and rear suspension.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM

You could also post an add on CL n see if someone might wanna trade a stock suspension 4 yours. Plenty of mini truckers out there.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Sounds like a plan, I will post some pics tonight. I know that as for the rear, one leaf spring was removed, and blocks added. The front definitely has custom lower control arms, but im not sure about the ball join or other parts.

Originally Posted by YOTAZOMBIE
You could also post an add on CL n see if someone might wanna trade a stock suspension 4 yours. Plenty of mini truckers out there.
I actually did already, but no takers. I figured it would be a great deal for someone who wants to lower their truck, but maybe there's not much of a low-rider following in Pittsburgh, our roads are way too ˟˟˟˟˟ty lol.