Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help with SR5 Gauge wiring

Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with SR5 Gauge wiring

My truck is not wired for a factory tach so I will need to use the signal wire from my aftermarket tach when I install my SR5 gauge cluster. My question is where is the factory tach at on this board? I have researched it and found only a few posts about it and they all say the IGN or something along those lines indicates the tach on the board. My cluster doesn't have anything remotely like that. I am assuming that its one of the wires coming from the signal converter or whatever that is. Before I go hooking up wires and poking around I was wondering if someone else had any insite on this.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 PM

I just swapped gauges on my daughter's truck today to the SR5 gauges. I had the same little device on the back that you have pictured there and did not need to do any additional wiring. The tach works perfectly, I just plugged everything in and it worked. The gauges set I got came from the same year truck as my daughter's so maybe that was the difference? I didn't have to remove the thing on the speedo drive either.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Yea I read your post right after I started this thread and it looks good. Major improvement over the factory base model gauges IMO. My truck is a 91 and these are out of a 95 so that may be the difference. Everything else works except the oil press because I havent installed the switch yet and have the dummy light unpluged. Mine is a base model so that might also have something to do with it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Did the swap on my buddys pickup a couple weeks ago. All we had to swap out the oil pressure sending unit. Pretty straight forward swap
Old 05-30-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
Did the swap on my buddys pickup a couple weeks ago. All we had to swap out the oil pressure sending unit. Pretty straight forward swap
Yea the cluster swap is a piece of cake and I have done a few with everything being plug and play. I have had this gauge cluster in already and everything worked but the tach and the oil pressure. I unplugged the oil pressure dummy switch so it didnt fry the oil pressure gauge before cranking the truck so thats why it didnt work. The tach didnt work because my truck was not wired for it from the factory so I have to run a signal wire from the coil which I already have with the aftermarket tach in the truck now. All I need to know is which terminal do I attach the wire to on the gauge cluster. I have read everything I could dig up on it and everything says to run it to the IG or the IGN terminal on the back of the cluster however this cluster does not have that or anything resembling that on the back. Thats why I am asking if anyone has any experience wiring a tach in on this particular style cluster before I go poking wires and possibly frying something.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 PM

I just got through installing the gauge cluster. I found the pin for the tach and if anyone else runs into this problem its the screw with the "P" beside it on the second picture. It traces back to the 8th pin on the connector on the far left counting from the left on the second picture. I did have to adjust it because this cluster came from a v6 truck but that was also a piece of cake. The "box" on the back has something to do with the brakes because when I touched them the brake light on the cluster came on.