Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help. IFS axle bearing? How to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need help. IFS axle bearing? How to?

Ok I searched and I know it is on here somewhere but I don't know if I'am using the correct words to find it. on 86-95 trucks, the axle shaft or stub that goes into the front IFS third member, has a bearing. Are they pressed in? I'am not talking about the wheel bearings, but the one in the diff where the stub rides on. Anyone?

James
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

Yes, 2 on the outer stubs and 2 in the 3rd.
A pullhammer works best on them.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a good write up:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/steering-spindle-bearing-replacement-2nd-gen-4runner-76360/

He did it by the absolute book which is the way to go if you have the time and resources.
If you don't, just remove the axle, pull outer bushing w/a slide hammer, push inner out with a socket/brass bar and hammer.
Replace inner using the old bearing to push the new one in. Take a piece of the thickest threaded stock you can find that will fit throught the spindle and put a washer/old bearing/new bearing on the inside and washer/bolt on the outside of the spindle. Draw the new inner bearing in by tightening the bolt on the outside.
Make sure the new one is square in the spindle bore! Check that the outside edge/surface of the spindle bore is not being damged by the pressure of the washer/bolt as you tighten it down-maybe replace the outer bushing first or use a brass washer or two. Replace outer if you haven't already, then the axle and enjoy.

Last edited by Reldnew; 06-23-2006 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only bearing on the short side is the side gear bearing in the diff carrier, on the shaft there's just an oil seal. The manual says to pull it out and replace the seal, like VooDoo said a slide hammer works well. On the longer side, the disconnect one, there is a bearing pressed onto the shaft, I guess it needs extra support being longer. To get that off remove the side gear tube bolts and tap out the tube, then remove the snap ring on the inner end of the axle, remove the clutch hub, unbolt and remove the bearing retainer.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhh, I guess I read that one wrong!
Sorry 'bout that. For some reason I thought you were referring to the spindle bushings. I guess I need to quit trying to loaf/read/post at work-too many close calls w/ the boss!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Reldnew
Here is a good write up:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76360

He did it by the absolute book which is the way to go if you have the time and resources.
If you don't, just remove the axle, pull outer bushing w/a slide hammer, push inner out with a socket/brass bar and hammer.
Replace inner using the old bearing to push the new one in. Take a piece of the thickest threaded stock you can find that will fit throught the spindle and put a washer/old bearing/new bearing on the inside and washer/bolt on the outside of the spindle. Draw the new inner bearing in by tightening the bolt on the outside.
Make sure the new one is square in the spindle bore! Check that the outside edge/surface of the spindle bore is not being damged by the pressure of the washer/bolt as you tighten it down-maybe replace the outer bushing first or use a brass washer or two. Replace outer if you haven't already, then the axle and enjoy.
OMG!! All these years owning Toyota's I never new those existed! Thanks!! But one problem, that isn't what I was referring to. I need the short stub bearing replacement on the from IFS third member.

James
Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
The only bearing on the short side is the side gear bearing in the diff carrier, on the shaft there's just an oil seal. The manual says to pull it out and replace the seal, like VooDoo said a slide hammer works well. On the longer side, the disconnect one, there is a bearing pressed onto the shaft, I guess it needs extra support being longer. To get that off remove the side gear tube bolts and tap out the tube, then remove the snap ring on the inner end of the axle, remove the clutch hub, unbolt and remove the bearing retainer.
On the short side is a needle bearing, correct? Mine has excessive play. Anyone have any pictures of this?

James
Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
On the short side is a needle bearing, correct? Mine has excessive play. Anyone have any pictures of this?

James
I do....stand bye.

you're talking about inside HERE.....
I'll get more pics.........
Name:  6f52d75c.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  34.7 KB

is this it? Nope...hold on, wrong pic

Name:  27a822bb.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  28.8 KB

This must be it....Oh crap! Wrong pic again. Sorry bout that. Let me try again.
Name:  Mvc-016s.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  36.8 KB
.My website is extremely slow and doesn't load pages at this moment so I'll get back to this thread. Some of the carriers make use of a needle bearing and some are a non-replacable bushing where the actual sidegear is the steel bushing surface.

Last edited by ZUK; 06-24-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:02 AM

The first picture Zuk is basically what I'am talking about but the other side. The side you are showing is the one with the axle tube. I need the other side. Since you are on the subject, what exactly is entailed of these third members? I have a bunch of Toyota parts on micro-phiche but no micro-phiche machine to look this stuff up. But still, you are the man Zuk!

James
Old 06-24-2006, 07:35 AM
ZUK

Well, my site is not working quite right today....and I think I have a pic or 2 of the needle bearings....First, you have to determine if you have needle bearings behind that axle stub. If you have already determined that then I believe they can be "shocked" out with a slide-hammer much like a pilot bearing. Toyota should be able to special order it. Even with a new needle bearing there could still be lots of play which means the sidegear needs to also ordered.

Now if it's the "steel sidegear all as one bushing" then the sidegear itself needs to be ordered.

If a sidegear has to be replaced in either version then a removal and teardown of the case is required. That means removing bearing caps/pulling case out/remove ring gear/remove crosspin/replace sidegear.

Last edited by ZUK; 06-24-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:53 PM
ZUK

OK....my site is back up. The actual bearing surface is not the ID of the sidegear....it's the actual case. See this pic......so if yours has the needles then hopefully replacing just the needle set will fix it.