86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help choosing two-tone

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need help choosing two-tone

ok i want to herculine the bottom section of my truck(89 pickup) , however i don't want to go all the way up to the body molding. i didn't want to go any higher then the lower molding or half way between. i photoshoped between the front and rear wheels but the problem is i need help on what the hell im gonna do on the rear portion behind the rear wheels. heres a pic of what i mean

yellow-photoshopped part where im gonna herculine
green-need help
someone help me photo shop this thing. thanks guys (and girls)
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My work partner Rhinolined the entire bottom of his '01 Silverado. He went up to that crease in the body and bed that goes all the way around, so there's probably a foot of 'liner all told. Might be more than you would want to do, but I would find a good beltline and follow it.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Asha'man
My work partner Rhinolined the entire bottom of his '01 Silverado. He went up to that crease in the body and bed that goes all the way around, so there's probably a foot of 'liner all told. Might be more than you would want to do, but I would find a good beltline and follow it.
When it comes time to do mine I am following that same line for the Runner...
But if you don't want that high...
how about half way between taht crease and the bottom of the truck?
Almost liek what you have photoshopped...
That would look alright..
Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 AM

btt any other ideas...

yotafun i was thinking of doing it like you said but not sure how it would look.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89red4x4yota
btt any other ideas...

yotafun i was thinking of doing it like you said but not sure how it would look.
I am going to try to photo shop mine later...
Just to see...
I plan on doing the bumpers too so allaround it should look even and cool...
I am suprised no one else has said anything...
I thought there might have been a couple of other Runners or Tacomas that have done this...
I could be wrong...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 AM

i am also suprised no one has said anything there is a 4 page thread about this very subject in 95.5+ tacos and runners anyone else help me out
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Well, its not a pickup, but here is what my 4Runner looks like herculined up to the body line.

I definately recommend doing this, it really helps prevent rock chips and scratches from brush. I think most people apply this up to the body line not only for looks, but for the added protection as well.

Last edited by 4Rocker; 12-04-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rocker
Well, its not a pickup, but here is what my 4Runner looks like herculined up to the body line.

I definately recommend doing this, it really helps prevent rock chips and scratches from brush. I think most people apply this up to the body line not only for looks, but for the added protection as well.
I thought that dirt looked a little familiar, that's the Iron Range OHVRA in gilbert isn't it? are you on any local boards (MNToyx4 or MN-Jeep)?

[/hijack]

I think it looks good, if you're only going to paint up that far, it'll look fine with nothing on the rear quarters. I say do it, and see how it looks, but I bet it'll look good just like you photoshopped it...
Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went even with the seam in the back of my 4Runner, but you don't have a similar character line to match off of. I think going to the natural crease might be kinda high...

(sorry - best pic I had of the side of the truck! never realized how many I took of the front and the back...)

The key is to mask it off really well. To make sure Mine matched up, I even taped across the tires so I could be sure it was all straight and on line.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

ok i want to herculine the bottom section of my truck(89 pickup) , however i don't want to go all the way up to the body molding. i didn't want to go any higher then the lower molding or half way between. i photoshoped between the front and rear wheels but the problem is i need help on what the hell im gonna do on the rear portion behind the rear wheels. heres a pic of what i mean

yellow-photoshopped part where im gonna herculine
green-need help
someone help me photo shop this thing. thanks guys (and girls)
Looking at the pics of the ther rigs and looking at yours...
If you see wehre the body crease is it comes up about mid way on your bed...
I think it would still look good
The line will flow trhough out the truck..
The crrease line flows with the top of your front bumper so...
Just my .02
Do what feels right to you though...
I can already drema my Runner with the rhino lining up tot htat crease, and the bumpers rhino lined...
I need a good job...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 PM

tc i like what yours looks like could you take any other pics??? yota fun i think if i go all the way up it won't look good. i think its the red who knows. i think it will be to much black and not enough shiney red paint. i may do half way up between both body lines.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

tc i like what yours looks like could you take any other pics??? yota fun i think if i go all the way up it won't look good. i think its the red who knows. i think it will be to much black and not enough shiney red paint. i may do half way up between both body lines.
Yeah I see your point...
Shinny Red Paint Like That does Need to Shine!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the truck is currently in the shop having a bumper built, so it'll be a few days before I can take some new ones, but here's some others:

Old 12-04-2006, 05:48 PM

I bedlinered my bottom half of my 88 runner and then repainted my whole truck including the bedliner. It looks nice. Holds up to rock chip really nice to. Just do not let wax hit that. You can't get it out. PITA. good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM

adawg08 any pics???
Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Numbchux: You are correct! That is Iron Range up in northern MN. I dont get up there as often as I would like, but it is a fun place to wheel. I mostly browse around yotatech and have been lurking at mud because Im looking at acquiring an fj40 next spring. I havent heard of those other boards, but I will definately check them out! It would be nice to find some more Toyota enthusiasts from around the state.

As for the bedliner, I have been trying to talk my dad into bedlining the rocker panels of his 97 runner. I wouldnt worry about behind the wheels if the rocker panels are all you are going to cover. It should help make the truck look taller as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:22 PM

4rocker....i would only do the rockers but the panel behind the rear drivers side wheel is starting to bubble up nothign major but i guess its from exhaust gases. so i need to get at it now before it gets out of control.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
4rocker....i would only do the rockers but the panel behind the rear drivers side wheel is starting to bubble up nothign major but i guess its from exhaust gases. so i need to get at it now before it gets out of control.
oh...well....then I would say just pick a line high enough to cover what you need to repair, and stick with it for the entire length of the truck. as long as it's even on both sides of the wheel well, it'll look real clean.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 AM

If thats the case, then do what you think will be best to cover the blemishes. A few inches along the bottom will look good. Remember to sand or remove that rust before you cover it or it WILL come back eventually. Also be sure to prep the paint really well (ie scuff with sandpaper) before you put the herculiner on or it will come off prematurely. I had a buddy herculine the chrome bumper on his silverado without much prep, and that ended up being a disaster when it all started coming off.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM

89red4x4yota any updates??? Just fishin for ideas. When I get my yota painted i am looking into the same idea. i still cant decide if I want to go to the bottom of the seem or top since you have fender flares you arent worried bout wether or not to go around them. And what about the tail gate are you goin to leave it as is or 2 tone to the bottome of the seem there to?

Quick Reply: need help choosing two-tone