Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice on LSD's

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on LSD's

Hi Guys,

I got my '94 4x4 SR5 truck a few months ago and I LOVE IT (far more than I thought I would). I do however acutely feel the lack of a limited-slip diff in the back.

I am a big Audi guy - race Rally and Autocross - true believer in the "Quattro Unfair Advantage". To the degree that my work van (E-150) got a Torsen LSD. The differance was like night and day - especially in towing!!

I LOVE the Torsen and I am 99% sure that they make them for my truck, however I want to consider some other options. I would like to stay away from diffs that use clutches - they chatter and need rebuilds. I would however love something that was push-button; these were crazy expencive for my E150 for some reason.

While I am messing with the diff, I would also like to tweak the ratio. My 3L motor is just a dog, especially in the low RPMs. I would like to drop the gear ratio down as much as possible, while keeping fuel efficency and driveability at 80mph (the truck is our road-trip vehicle). My truck currently has oversize tires (I want to say 33") and a 2-3" lift.

That out of the way, are there options for the front diff on this car? I think that even a torsen would not function properly on the front axle (locking up when making tight turns), but a push-button option would be great for getting un-stuck. Do people do this, or am I just crazy?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 AM

If you want push button search toyota e-locker, and arb. Neither are cheap, especially if you regear also. That being said, retrofitting an e-locker is one of the best mods I've ever done to my truck.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search on "lockers" - there's an FAQ at the top of the Offroad Tech forum. The Torsen type diff available for your rig is the Detroit TruTrac.

For 33" with a 3.0, I would recommend 4.88 with a manual transmission and 5.29 or 5.71 for the automatic because the overdrive is so damn tall.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Definitely check out the Detroit TruTrac as tc said... I've got the e-locker that I swapped into my 90. I absolutely love it and I can completely lock the rear diff solid with the flip of a switch.

LSDs are nice for on road driving but nothing matches a selectable locker for a wheelin rig... my wheelin rig is also my daily driver. Wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you planning on going off road much? If so a locker is best.

Truetracs (version of the Torsen) are made for the front and rear axles of your truck. I think there are better ways to spend the money though as they won't do too much off-road and will be a nuisance on ice/ slippery snow.

I really like my auto-locker, the idea seems far-fetched, but in reality, it works v. well. A lot of people complain about these "lunch box" lockers being tough to drive on road. While you have to change your driving style a bit (as you might with a Torsen?), I have had mine coming up to a year and it doesn't bother me a bit in my 30 mile daily commute through the city.

Also, auto lockers only cost around $300 (compared to a Truetrac at $500). Save the money for a selectable front locker.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM

I was all giggly about dropping LSD in mine front/rear at first (coming from the RX-7 arena). I've decided against that and will be saving my pennies for ARB air-lockers.

Of course, I know that as soon as I install them, I begin my "poser" status.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 AM

supras came with a torsen and fit our 8 inch rear but only in certain years ill look it up if you really want. they also came with clutch types ( i have that in my rear )
look up supra lsd on here
but honestly if $$$ werent a factor i would be installing arbs in a minute