Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My experience replacing W56-B input shaft bearing this weekend.....

Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience replacing W56-B input shaft bearing this weekend.....

Hey guys I had the typical transmission whine noise in all gears but 4th in my W56-B tranny on my '88 4X4 pickup with 271K miles. I did a lot of searching on this and it was unclear if you can just replace the input shaft bearing by itself and leave the rest of the tranny alone. Well I did just that this weekend and it solved 100% of the noise from my tranny. It's now silent in all gears and drives like a dream. The bearing was only $10.99 from cobratransmission.com and the trans gasket set was like $6. Best $20 I've ever spent. So after I took the tranny out I removed the bellhousing and input shaft cover. Then removed the bolts on the intermediate plate that hold both front and rear trans housings together. After that just remove the snap ring holding the bearing on and use a bearing puller to remove the old bearing. Then I took the tranny to work and pressed on the new bearing to the same spot so the snap ring would go back on. Then it was just reassemble with new gaskets. The funny thing was the old bearing looked fine and I was worried that I had misdiagnosed the problem. It wasn't missing any parts and for the most part spun well. But after putting everything back together and driving it the sound is for sure gone. All the gears and syncros looked perfect so my tranny should be good to go for many miles to come. I just wanted to post this so if someone is looking to do this I can confirm you can just replace the input shaft bearing by itself. Here is a link to the website I got the parts from
http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...ts_id=50048040
the part # on the original bearing matched the bearing from this place exactly so as far as i'm concerned it's an oem part. If anyone ends up doing this and have questions shoot me a pm. Sorry I didn't take pics I used reference pics from some other W56 tranny rebuild threads as well as the FSM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, Nachi is an OEM supplier.

Expand on how you pressed the bearing on. I am imaging a transmission, vertical, being manhandled to fit it in the press?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM

I too would like to know how you pressed the bearing on. Is this a must? I don't have access to a press so I'm wondering if I can get it in a different way.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 PM

If memory serves me I took what was left of the tranny to work to use the press. The bellhousing and front cover were off and the rear cover and all the shift forks were off. So it was just the intermediate plate and both main shafts. Our press was a big hydraulic one but one of the small ones from like harbor freight would work fine too. I had 2 guys from work help me hold the tranny upright while I worked the press controls. Took a few minutes to set up but only a few seconds to press the bearing where it needed to go. The bearing came off with a puller but I couldn't get the new one on with just a socket and a hammer and I didn't want to damage the new bearing trying to beat it on. I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have done numerous searches on this issue and could never find any info on it. Appreciate you posting this info. I have two spare transmissions with loose bearings and want to give this a try. When I get around to this I will post pics. Thanks for the info. Great post!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

After seeing the shafts loose on several of these transmissions and seeing the original poster fix, I wanted to give it a try. So far here is where I have gotten to. I am currently trying to find a gear puller that will have the reach to pull the gear.

Up to this point it would probably be economical to let a transmission shop to pull and reinstall the new bearing. I am not wanting to do that just yet. I have the bell housing off and transfer case is off so it would not be so long for a press to access the bearing.

Take out nine 14mm bolts holding Bell Housing on.
Name:  transbearing4_zps5fc55f10.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  77.4 KB

Remove seven 12mm bolts.
Name:  transbearing3_zps95b37987.jpg
Views: 5552
Size:  92.7 KB

Remove Large Snap Ring. May not need to at this time and will edit later when I get it figured out. The Large Snap Ring may actually keep it from sinking to deep.
Name:  transbearing2_zps3701caeb.jpg
Views: 5174
Size:  58.3 KB

Current problem is trying to find a gear puller with reach and correct finger angle to grab bearing. (Not sure why Photobucket is not showing the picture clearly. It may just be a temporary problem with Photobucket.)
Name:  snapring1_zps73a2a0d9.jpg
Views: 7846
Size:  82.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-16-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM

I used an industrial grade bearing puller from work (I'm an industrial mechanic), here is one on amazon that is the brand that we use.

Posi Lock 106 Manual Puller, 3 Jaws, 10 tons Capacity, 6" Reach, 1/4" - 7" Spread Range, 13-1/3" Overall Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Posi Lock 106 Manual Puller, 3 Jaws, 10 tons Capacity, 6" Reach, 1/4" - 7" Spread Range, 13-1/3" Overall Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Now I don't know if that is the same size that I had used at the time but that is the brand. They make some that are somewhat small to some huge ones. Basically after you take off the front half of the case exposing the whole bearing your taking off you just need to find a puller that is long enough. Most automotive pullers probably won't be long enough so you are going to have to look around or just make one yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks for getting back with me on that. From what I am understanding is you can also use a Bearing Separator and a 2 jaw puller or a press as well. I am still looking into that as well.

I seen it asked about getting the bearing pressed back on and I asked my engine machine shop and he has the ability to press it back on without the tcase on it. He doesn't have the ability to pull it.

As often as I see these bearings loose, I am surprised there isn't more write ups on this and it is easily done up until this point so far. Nothing to be worried about as far as I am into this right now.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You do need to remove the other c clip that is attached to the smaller shaft, remove nine bolts hold the case together and separating the case. I am looking into a Bearing Separator or seeing if I can find a Tool Rental place as well. I seen on line that Harbor Freight sells a separator for a reasonable price. I will post those tools when I get to that point. This job can be easily done.

Copied from my build.
You will need to remove the other c-clip that is attached to the smaller shaft.
Name:  transbearing7_zps93879a3c.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  62.9 KB

Then remove the nine 14mm bolts that holds the case together.
Name:  transbearing6_zpsa8ec5665.jpg
Views: 4444
Size:  80.8 KB

Then Thump it with a rubber hammer as per the Factory Service Manual.
Name:  transbearing8_zpsb8544214.jpg
Views: 4382
Size:  71.4 KB

I stood the transmission on its end and it easily lifted off and separated. Really nothing to be concerned with up until now. I have talked to my machine shop that does my engine work and he say he has a press that could press a bearing on. He does not have the ability to pull the bearing.

For that from what I am learning is that you can use a Bearing Separator and a Gear Puller or a Press to pull the bearing off. That is my next learning experience as I have never used a bearing separator and right now don't have access to a press. I hear Harbor Freight has a bearing separator so will check into that.
Name:  transbearing5_zps29c70ada.jpg
Views: 4743
Size:  94.6 KB

I found a tool rental place for a two prong puller and for $10 a day rental. I suggest using a 3 prong puller, but it worked!! Now I just need to see if my machine shop can press it on for me. Impact Wrench made the job so much easier as well. It didnt just pop right off like I thought it would.
Name:  tb3_zps8503e67a.jpg
Views: 4475
Size:  97.7 KB

Success on getting it off!! Still need to see about getting it pressed on at my local machine shop.
Name:  tb1_zpsd0647656.jpg
Views: 4378
Size:  72.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM

will be tackling this myself with the help of a yet to be purchased press from harbor freight. have been looking for an excuse to get one.

i already bought the seal kit from cobra prior to discovering the input shaft had excessive play. i hope it is just the bearing, i should have held off to save on shipping. i plan to inspect the internals to ensure there isnt more obvious internal damage before placing the subsequent order.

did you guys pack the bearing with assy lube when you replaced it or just lube it with gear lube?
Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 PM

Help

Has anyone have any problems with finding the right bearing I ordered it and it doesn’t fit I needs to be 32 mm inside diameter but I can’t find one can someone help with this. It’s a 1985 w56
Old 12-09-2021, 06:47 AM
YT Community Team

Received 842 Likes on 597 Posts
No, all the bearings are easy to find.
You need to learn to post better info to get more help. A better description of the vehicle is often necessary, along with a good description of the problem. If a part is needed a photo helps tremendously.
Here's a picture. Post which one you need.

Last edited by Jimkola; 12-09-2021 at 01:42 PM.