Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 3VZ-E Super Stock "Upgrade" Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RBX - I've thought about deleting my PAIR, though it seems to have no real affects on performance when I disable it. I will keep my EGR because Oregon Engines recommends keeping it, since the EGR (as odd as this may sound) actually helps guard against predetonation. That could be total BS but I've been told that from a few others, not just OERI.

The only thing that seems to be giving me any troubles now is the air flow meter. There seems to be too much of a gap in the resistance when the meter is fully closed and slightly open. Also, with the engine running, if I push in on the air flow 'gate' slightly, the idle smooths out very nicely. I think I might check around and see if any salvage yards have any VAFM's. Swap it out and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
stomper4x4 (05-24-2019)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I deleted the EGR/PAIR because, i wanted to simplify, mainly. Certainly not a performance gain.
It's possible the VAFM is screwy, have you checked for codes? I had some whacky stuff happening when i bought the truck, in fact as i fixed each issue sometimes a new AFM fault code would pop up and then go away. A few codes lead me to believe that i had a wire short somewhere affecting the VAFM. I never did find anything amiss, and now she is running tip-top, with the added Cressida/Supra VAFM, although it sounds, idles and response well the the skinny pedal abuse, i haven't dialed it in on a wideband o2.
I would try to fit another known good VAFM on there to see if that solves it. I suspect you are getting some un-metered air, however, if you are pushing on the VAFM and she smooths out... Maybe that IS the un-metered air issue.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM

curious to know and i didn't see you address it, when you recently took apart the top end and checked the heads for warpage, did you measure the sizes of the valves to insure you got the OS ones stated by oer?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselloco427
RBX - I've thought about deleting my PAIR, though it seems to have no real affects on performance when I disable it. I will keep my EGR because Oregon Engines recommends keeping it, since the EGR (as odd as this may sound) actually helps guard against predetonation. That could be total BS but I've been told that from a few others, not just OERI.

The only thing that seems to be giving me any troubles now is the air flow meter. There seems to be too much of a gap in the resistance when the meter is fully closed and slightly open. Also, with the engine running, if I push in on the air flow 'gate' slightly, the idle smooths out very nicely. I think I might check around and see if any salvage yards have any VAFM's. Swap it out and see what happens.
The EGR does help control detonation. Few, if any, present-day gas engines have them because the combustion chambers/spark plugs/engine management are very well-designed and efficient -- that's why lots of new engines are 10:1 and can run regular, meaning, run regular and make lots of power. The 3V's design/engine management was par back in the mid-80s when it was delveloped.

Too bad you're hundreds of miles away. I've got a spare AFM. When my head gasket started to let go, the dealer pulled an AFM code and thought that was it. They wanted $1024 plus labour! $1024 (CDN) for that meter! So I got a used one from the wreckers for $125. Not a damn difference. But I still kept it.

Last edited by truckmike26; 06-16-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently pulled my head for a new head gasket only to find a crack in the block.
Ordered a super stock rebuilt from Oregon, had it installed, and so far so good.

I live in Colorado, am now able to drive up up very steep passes at nearly 60 mph.
Please also note a 4" lift, 33x12.5 tires, auto trans, and 5.29 gears on my 93'.

Also did some pretty difficult trails in Moab a month ago, all i can say is the power difference is amazing. Although when my rig was broken it probably had like 80 hp.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
curious to know and i didn't see you address it, when you recently took apart the top end and checked the heads for warpage, did you measure the sizes of the valves to insure you got the OS ones stated by oer?
I did not even think to do that. It was kind of a rush to get it back together. I will say they do look slightly bigger than OEM valves, but I don't have the measurements to back up the visual.

So far it has been running good. I did quite a bit of towing the other day and I had quite a bit of power. I did advance the timing to 15 degrees, but I think I am going to take it back down to 10 or 12 degrees. I've been running regular unleaded and had no audible pinging at the 15 degrees, but just to be safe.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 AM

Six month update?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Stock Users SoundOFF

Is it still running good???

Any other Super Stock Users please sound off on performance?

I'm looking at Oregon Engines 190hp 3vz-fe and CHS Machine Companies 190hp 3vz-fe (I feel this outfit is a spinoff from Oregon Engines - at first I thought they were Oregon Engines doing business under a different name - maybe because of past warranty issues...?, but now see they are competitors with very similar products)

So far it has been running good. I did quite a bit of towing the other day and I had quite a bit of power. I did advance the timing to 15 degrees, but I think I am going to take it back down to 10 or 12 degrees. I've been running regular unleaded and had no audible pinging at the 15 degrees, but just to be safe.[/quote]