Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My $1100 mistake

Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My $1100 mistake

UPDATE 7/14/18: truck has been sold. due to unfortunate financial circumstances i had to sell it. i will own a proper 1st gen one of these days and i will make sure it stays around for years rather than months

I picked up this 1988 SR5 3.slow 5 speed last weekend in Mattapoisett, MA. I rented a uhaul car trailer for $130 and it cost about $70 in gas. When I arrived at the sellers house I realized he was using old pictures that didn't show the extent of the rust. he also didn't mention the exhaust leak, no ebrake or the various leaks the truck had. but I was 2.5 hours away from my house already $200 invested into getting it and I ended up paying $900 for it. I had never seen a 1st gen 4runner in person before so I was just entranced in what I could do with it and all the fun I could have. But I now realize this is gonna be a multi-thousand dollar project just to get it roadworthy. I'm young and low on income. My one advantage is that I live with my parents rent free and my dad is helping me out with other necessary expenses like car insurance until I get this on the road. The disadvantage I have is that I'm still in school so I can't work full time to make money. As seen in the pictures, this 4runner has seen better days. My interior is probably the nicest part of this even though there's a lot that doesn't work. My drivers door has none of the wiring in it and the window wont roll up. only one of the speakers works, my antenna falls off if I raise it too much, and the steering wheel adjuster doesn't lock in. as far as the motor goes, I haven't gotten into it just yet but i see a lot of oil on the block and it idles at around 1200-2000. I also have a power steering hose leak and a lot of the fluids are low. My front shocks are toast, rears aren't the greatest either. The rust is another headache all together. This truck may not have been the best decision for someone who's in school and lacking income, but I'm stuck with it. I really want to make it work but every time I look at it I just think there's no way but then I see the good parts on it and I fall in love again. I'll post updates every once in a while and see how far I get. Any suggestions on how to cheaply and effectively deal with the rust would be great. all advice is welcomed.

Last edited by HERETIC4RUNNER; 07-14-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
There's at least $1100 worth of parts if you part out. I don't see a mistake

And if you part it I have a list going of wants lol
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
No crack dashboard!
Rear bumper in good condition with the corners!
Original radio!
Power mirrors!
Original rims!

I don't see a mistake, more than $1100 in parts.
I have a list too! Rear bumper and dashboard! I like those windows 'wind covers'(?) also.

Last edited by SomedayJ; 03-23-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Diggin the old car phone
Old 03-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can tell you want to make this work, but I sense defeat in this post. All the issues can be fixed, but it'll take thousands of hours and a bankroll to do it right. If you're not a competent welder, you simply can't fix the rust in any meaningful way up in Massachusetts, unless you buy expensive fiberglass quarter panels. I bet the frame is going to snap soon. I saw an awesome 85 pickup in a wrecking yard in Rhode island with a snapped frame. It had no body rust.

Do yourself a favor and part it out asap. As already said, the SR5 parts are desireable so you can make your money back no problem.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 828 Likes on 555 Posts
It's got the typical rust.
Patch panels are available and repro front fenders can be bought cheaply.
Exhaust leak maybe just a gasket.
Can you mig weld?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 AM

If you do decide to part it out, I might be a player for the seats and gauge cluster.
And the chrome wheel well trim.
And the hitch. And the roll bar padding...

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 03-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
1) Take a look underneath to see the condition, hit the frame with a hammer (these trucks rot in particular places). If you make holes, you should think about part it out.
2) Change fluids,filters, spark plugs and upload a video with the engine running, upload photos of the s.plugs, their condition can help to diagnose problems. Some forum members're experts, they can guide you and tell what to do.
3) Repair the exhaust.
4) Breakes and shocks.
After that you have a roadworthy truck (it depends of your local regulations)

4) Focus in the interior details, like the antenna
5) Try to 'neutralize' the body rust spots, por15 or other prioducts.
6) Start driving that beauty.
7) Time to think/learn to do the body work.

This guy have a several videos restoring a 4R, interesting serie:

Divide and conquer, you don't need to repair everything now, focus in the important part now, it's a process, everything you repair in that truck's going to give you more confidence to face the next problem with it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Mass is pretty tough on annual inspections these days.
My advice would be to address the body first(it won't pass that way)..
It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun to drive.

Check exhaust, brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer and pitman arm, idler arm. No cracks in the windshield.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You would make a terrible gambler, well I already lost $200, what's another $900
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Fixed
Old 03-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Address the high idle first its probably a vacuum leak. I don't recall off hand but it's probably less than 50$ to replace all the lines.

Pull the belt off the power steering, free.

Shock is going to run about 80-100.

Window you won't know until you get eyes on it, it may have just fell off the track.

I know nothing about mass inspections.. Maybe you have relatives "on the farm" you can register there as a farm truck..
Old 03-23-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You People are circling this poor 4Runner like a bunch of Sharks !!

It is just an example of new vehicle lust It happens to the best of us. No worse then my $20,000.00 plus 92 4Runner

Nothing Here that can`t be fixed . If I didn`t have enough projects to last the rest of my days it would be interesting

OP if this is not what you want to get into you can easy get your money out selling the whole vehicle if your parting it with all the work you may as well fix it.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by gsp4life
unless you buy expensive fiberglass quarter panels.
lets compare apples to apples ok ?

VRS fiberglass 1/4r

Old 03-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but any oem Toyota part will be pricey compared to everything else. I was more thinking of cutting out the rust and welding in new metal. If you're on a budget, that's the most common long-term fix.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by HERETIC4RUNNER
I picked up this 1988 SR5 3.slow 5 speed last weekend in Mattapoisett, MA. I rented a uhaul car trailer for $130 and it cost about $70 in gas. When I arrived at the sellers house I realized he was using old pictures that didn't show the extent of the rust. he also didn't mention the exhaust leak, no ebrake or the various leaks the truck had. but i was 2.5 hours away from my house already $200 invested into getting it and I ended up paying $900 for it. I had never seen a 1st gen 4runner in person before so i was just entranced in what i could do with it and all the fun I could have. But I now realize this is gonna be a multi-thousand dollar project just to get it roadworthy. I'm young and low on income. My one advantage is that i live with my parents rent free and my dad is helping me out with other necessary expenses like car insurance until i get this on the road. The disadvantage I have is that i'm still in school so i cant work full time to make money. As seen in the pictures, this 4runner has seen better days. My interior is probably the nicest part of this even though there's a lot that doesn't work. My drivers door has none of the wiring in it and the window wont roll up. only one of the speakers works, my antenna falls off if i raise it too much, and the steering wheel adjuster doesn't lock in. as far as the motor goes, I haven't gotten into it just yet but i see a lot of oil on the block and it idles at around 1200-2000. I also have a power steering hose leak and a lot of the fluids are low. My front shocks are toast, rears aren't the greatest either. The rust is another headache all together. This truck may not have been the best decision for someone who's in school and lacking income, but im stuck with it. I really want to make it work but every time i look at it I just think there's no way but then I see the good parts on it and i fall in love again. I'll post updates every once in a while and see how far i get. Any suggestions on how to cheaply and effectively deal with the rust would be great. all advice is welcomed.
Only you can answer the question of how much time and money do you want to spend on this project. My suggestion would be to check out the frame and if its condition is as bad as the body get rid of it. Make as much money back as you can as quick as you can and find a better starting point.
At least this rig will help you identify problem areas to check on your next purchase, but unless you are a welder with money to burn and lots of time on your hands I don't think this is the truck for you.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This
Originally Posted by dropzone
You would make a terrible gambler, well I already lost $200, what's another $900
and this

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Only you can answer the question of how much time and money do you want to spend on this project. My suggestion would be to check out the frame and if its condition is as bad as the body get rid of it. Make as much money back as you can as quick as you can and find a better starting point. At least this rig will help you identify problem areas to check on your next purchase, but unless you are a welder with money to burn and lots of time on your hands I don't think this is the truck for you.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
And show him what it was like before.

Originally Posted by RASALIBRE
Fixed
Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
If you do decide to part it out, I might be a player for the seats and gauge cluster.
And the chrome wheel well trim.
And the hitch. And the roll bar padding...
I don't think ill straight up part it out but i will sell parts im not gonna use. i'm not gonna use the chrome trim from the wells but i think only the front ones are intact. the rears might be bent, the guy had all of them off when i got there. when i get home from work today i,ll let you know what their condition is.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Only you can answer the question of how much time and money do you want to spend on this project. My suggestion would be to check out the frame and if its condition is as bad as the body get rid of it. Make as much money back as you can as quick as you can and find a better starting point.
At least this rig will help you identify problem areas to check on your next purchase, but unless you are a welder with money to burn and lots of time on your hands I don't think this is the truck for you.
i don't have money to burn but i go to a vocational school where we have a welding shop and one of my friend is an exceptional welder and he offered to weld what i need if i pay for his gas and wire. We also have a collision repair shop that could possibly help with the rust and an auto technology shop and i only have to pay for parts because its supervised student labor. i do get where you're coming from though on how this probably isn't the truck for me but I want nothing more in this world than to make this a proper vehicle. I'm inherently lucky for some reason so i'm just hoping i'll win the lottery and be able to do a motor swap and pay for professionals to do it the right way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My $1100 mistake