86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My $1100 mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
There are quite a few of us who would love to have that OEM stereo if you want to sell it.

Nah I got Pink Floyd cassettes that I can listen to and its the only properly functioning radio component in the truck. My adjustable antenna hilariously falls off my truck if I raise it too much and only one speaker works.

Last edited by HERETIC4RUNNER; 04-12-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smart move. I only miss cassette players in cars and nowhere else. Just grab the thing, feed it to the deck and that's it, no touch screens or tiny digital button clusters to throw you off the road.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
That OEM Toyota Technics cassette deck is actually pretty darn good when paired with better than OEM speakers.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by HERETIC4RUNNER
If anyone could tell me what this goes to I'd be quite grateful and they may or may not get first dibs on parts that I don't need.
Where is the other end connected to?

Originally Posted by old87yota
That OEM Toyota Technics cassette deck is actually pretty darn good when paired with better than OEM speakers.
... and good soundproof material in the cabin.

My 4R radio's a little bit different:
Attached Thumbnails My 00 mistake-20170115_132146.jpg  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
Where is the other end connected?:
Where my thumb is on the dark hose there's a lighter hose next to it which is the other end. I haven't found any diagrams that can tell me what that is
Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do not see a mistake at all. In fact yours is far better than mine. So you even have the same car phone I do!! This getting scary....
Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
I do not see a mistake at all. In fact yours is far better than mine. So you even have the same car phone I do!! This getting scary....
I want to gut the car phone and wire in a cheap tracfone's parts so it wont need an analog signal to work.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:36 PM

While you're replacing vacuum lines replace the low pressure return line from the fuel regulator. It's only about 4" long . Mine cracked spraying gas over the distributor and exhaust manifold. No idea how it didn't catch fire.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by hashdfw
While you're replacing vacuum lines replace the low pressure return line from the fuel regulator. It's only about 4" long . Mine cracked spraying gas over the distributor and exhaust manifold. No idea how it didn't catch fire.

Good luck with your project!
I'm still waiting on my job to start back up so I can finally put money into this and then I'll get the vacuum lines done. I'll also look into the return line. And thanks, it's slowly getting better by the day. While I'm without income I've been trying to fix small things that I have tools and parts for. My dome light works now and today I was able to get my steering wheel to lock in place without destroying the mechanism. Right now I'm looking into the disconnected hose that isn't shown in diagrams as far as I've seen. Eventually I'll get the interior panels off and then I can really get started on the rust repair and wiring in the back. After that it should be warm enough to take the top off

Last edited by HERETIC4RUNNER; 04-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i don't have money to burn but i go to a vocational school where we have a welding shop and one of my friend is an exceptional welder and he offered to weld what i need if i pay for his gas and wire. We also have a collision repair shop that could possibly help with the rust and an auto technology shop and i only have to pay for parts because its supervised student labor. i do get where you're coming from though on how this probably isn't the truck for me but I want nothing more in this world than to make this a proper vehicle. I'm inherently lucky for some reason so i'm just hoping i'll win the lottery and be able to do a motor swap and pay for professionals to do it the right way.
That's a great start and work on it little bits at a time to pay for the parts. If I were in your shoes I would keep the 4Runner and not part it out.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by anndel
That's a great start and work on it little bits at a time to pay for the parts. If I were in your shoes I would keep the 4Runner and not part it out.
yeah I decided that I'll never get rid of this truck. I'm going to sell the rear bumper because I'd like a stronger trail gear tube bumper and as I go through it I may find other parts that people can buy.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:22 PM

I'll give you a pair of skyjacker hydro 7000 front shocks. You pay for shipping. Put them on with my lift last August and recently swapped them out for OME. Let me know
Old 04-14-2018, 04:34 PM

As tempting as that sounds I don't think the parts I have for it are in good enough condition to make double my money. all I really got for good parts are the rear bumper, my dash, my cluster, and my stereo. And maybe this old car phone but I kinda want to make that work again so I can use it. Although if people start trying to throw money at me for my parts then maybe but even with everything wrong and all the money that needs to go into it I still love it. I'm actually about to order all new MOOG tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm to revamp my steering and then if I can I'm gonna find a replacement part for the tilt wheel lock... otherwise I'll drill a hole through the assembly and bolt it in place. But I'd rather find a replacement part.
How wrong you are. You have probably $400-$500 in the front door panels alone. The SR5 panels with the surfboard switches are extremely rare. Sunroof cover depending on how the top looks $200. Original Asin hubs $100-$200 depending on condition. Offset 7 ( not 8) first gen wheels, $50 each to the right buyer. Who Knows what an original working power antenna goes for. You have a damn nice truck there. Cut the rust out and get everything treated and just wait on the body work.

Or, I'll give you $1200 this weekend and take it off your hands

Last edited by JNorton; 04-14-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Antenna.
I got mine from here:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Toyot...01984-1988.htm
And this thread helped me to replace it:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...-fix-pics.html
Old 04-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JNorton
I'll give you a pair of skyjacker hydro 7000 front shocks. You pay for shipping. Put them on with my lift last August and recently swapped them out for OME. Let me know
that´d be awesome, how much do you think shipping would be from wherever you are to Bernardston Mass.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 PM

that´d be awesome, how much do you think shipping would be from wherever you are to Bernardston Mass.
looks like about $22.50 from Fl
Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 AM

No crack dashboard!
Rear bumper in good condition with the corners!
Original radio!
Power mirrors!
Original rims!

I don't see a mistake, more than $1100 in parts.
I have a list too! Rear bumper and dashboard! I like those windows 'wind covers'(?) also.
If you still want the rear bumper I was planning to sell that from the start, I'd rather something that can actually take an impact. Won't need a flimsy bumper when I replace it with a log. As much as i'd like to sell the dashboard because money is tight, if the next 4runner I buy has less rust but a crappy interior im gonna want my dash and at least my gauge. but the stereo is available, roll bar padding, door panels (drivers side is missing the switches but has the frame for them and the hole cut in the panel, passenger side still complete). It's officially going to become my woods rig and I'll keep the stuff I need and want but if anyone wants to buy stuff they just need to ask.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
If you still want the rear bumper I was planning to sell that from the start, I'd rather something that can actually take an impact. Won't need a flimsy bumper when I replace it with a log. As much as i'd like to sell the dashboard because money is tight, if the next 4runner I buy has less rust but a crappy interior im gonna want my dash and at least my gauge. but the stereo is available, roll bar padding, door panels (drivers side is missing the switches but has the frame for them and the hole cut in the panel, passenger side still complete). It's officially going to become my woods rig and I'll keep the stuff I need and want but if anyone wants to buy stuff they just need to ask.
How much do you want for the stereo shipped to VA; 23116? Do all the functions work? If the cassette player is working I have lots of 80's and 90's tapes ready to go. LOL.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
How much do you want for the stereo shipped to VA; 23116? Do all the functions work? If the cassette player is working I have lots of 80's and 90's tapes ready to go. LOL.
Looks like $10-$20 for shipping and I can't find an asking price for the stereo so we can work it out
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No crack dashboard!
Rear bumper in good condition with the corners!
Original radio!
Power mirrors!
Original rims!

I don't see a mistake, more than $1100 in parts.
I have a list too! Rear bumper and dashboard! I like those windows 'wind covers'(?) also.
I’m interested in the rear bumper.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: My $1100 mistake