86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mods that make others go hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods that make others go hmmm...

Not too long ago, I added an inline switch to my power antennae. I can think of a few good reasons for doing this. 1) retract for forest driving, 2) retract for CD playing, because my stereo doesn't do it automatically, and 3) because it's just one more custom feature.

When others get into my truck, they always ask what that switch is for and I say, "Check this out!" and flip the switch. It usually takes a minute for them to realize what I just did and then they ask me why I would do such a thing. Because I wanted to. That's why. Ha!

So who all has mods like this? Kinda dumb, but still kick a$$ custom.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my only crazy mod is cutting the floor out of the rear of my pickup so that i could fit 2 10 inch subwoofers. o and also i have my winch controler module under the hood. i rewired the plug that you plug the controler into, and made it recessed in my warn front bumper.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 PM

I have done this exact same mod. Another similar one is a switch to turn the sub on and off. Great for when the baby is w/ me or when listening to sports/talk radio.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:02 PM

I'll play

Switching from the ADD system to manual hubs had many people scratching their heads (given they are not really people in the know). Many questions like why wouldn't you want "shift on the fly"
Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 PM

My 82 has the same switch for the antenna. great for pulling into a garage!!

my buddy has those stupid interior lights on his honda, every time i get in it he starts it up, turns the lights on, and basks in his own glory for a minute. i hate it. i think its some special light that makes girls' panties erupt into flames, but i never understood it. /shrug
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I put a switch near the headliner behind the back seats that will power up the head unit (or off).

That way when I am sleeping I can have the radio on and turn it off without getting up and turning the keys. The head unit I bought came with a remote so as an added bonus I have full control over the channels and songs all from the coziness of my bed.

Heck.. that's more advanced than what I have at home.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
I put a switch near the headliner behind the back seats that will power up the head unit (or off).

That way when I am sleeping I can have the radio on and turn it off without getting up and turning the keys. The head unit I bought came with a remote so as an added bonus I have full control over the channels and songs all from the coziness of my bed.

Heck.. that's more advanced than what I have at home.
Nice!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flatland4runner
Switching from the ADD system to manual hubs had many people scratching their heads (given they are not really people in the know). Many questions like why wouldn't you want "shift on the fly"
Ah, but you still have shift on the fly. I wanna eventually swap to manual hubs too.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM

i blacked out all my lights looks good and still road ready baby!!

looks good and still lights up the way i like to keep the cops off me lol

and i also did the amp switch just for when im not in the mood for it

and i did the all white dash lights so i got ride of the green look a lot better at night imo
Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

all thanks to a fellow yter cant remember his name but hes cool snit
Old 10-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Changed all my lighting to blue LEDs, including the roof lights in my DVD player roof-mounted docking station. I've almost had it with them, because it makes everything nigh on impossible to read (like maps). But their coolness factor is still keeping me from making the switch.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:24 PM

While on the topic of lights, I colored my dome light lenses w/ a red sharpie. Looks like there is red light bulbs in there!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
For a while I had a vacuum gauge hooked up to a spare port on the valve cover. It showed how much vacuum the engine was pulling at any given time. I used it as a reference for what gear to choose when pulling long hills.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:51 PM

OBA... on my daily driver? Yep! I keep finding excuses to use it. Wednesday I pulled up behind a stopped F150, with an almost-flat. He was about to do the song & dance to get the spare on, when I whipped out the hose and had it filled up in 10 seconds.

His words;

"That's f'in cool..."
Old 10-11-2008, 03:05 PM

I got the switch on my subs to turn them off, or at least I did before I cut the back of my 4Runner off.

That one has gotten me some questions.

A security guard at a gate asked me yesterday, "What the piss happened to your truck?"
Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 PM

custom mods on my truck? let's see, there is a large hold on the passenger side floor, the other day went to turn on my dome light, missed and punched a hole through the lens, I put a black hole in my dash so I lose all the fuses and what not I put up there when doing wiring work, and the gaping hole where the radio used to be. Ahhh, its a work in progress.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Manual hubs, as was mentioned. The rear locker, the removed running boards and the swaybar discos all make my mom think I'm devaluing my truck. But is that really a surprise?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Manual hubs, as was mentioned. The rear locker, the removed running boards and the swaybar discos all make my mom think I'm devaluing my truck. But is that really a surprise?
I've learned that anything you do (me included), mom is going to hate. So, do what you have to. But don't always put aside what she says. She is older than you and more times than not, a little smarter.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh boy, useless mods huh... well, let's see...

there's the tail-lights...

then there's the front corner lights...

all the green lights in the front...

the shifter-knobs and boots...

my gauge cluster...

but perhaps the most absolutely useless mod on my truck?

one word...

neons...

ok, 3 words really... black light neons...

don't hate cuz you can't thug it like me... or however your suppose to say that...
Old 10-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by KevinInSac
I've learned that anything you do (me included), mom is going to hate. So, do what you have to. But don't always put aside what she says. She is older than you and more times than not, a little smarter.
My mother is smart with many, many things, but cars is not one of them.

She inflates her tires to the pressure indicated on the sidewall. She once pair $600 to teh dealership to "fix" the rear truck struts on her car, when I told her I could do it for the price of parts ($50, 2 hour job). Wouldn't pull my truck 2 feet forward on a little hiill when the engine was out as "towing is bad for cars), I had to push it by hand, uphill.

Quick Reply: Mods that make others go hmmm...