Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mods for the 3.0 durring a full rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mods for the 3.0 durring a full rebuild

Just wondering what are some good mods to do durring a full rebuild. I am goint to do a lot of powder coating, but what about performance? Should I look for headers?

Basically what should I do to help performance while I have the engine pulled and completely broken down for rebuild? I am game for anything, almost...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 AM

Personally, I wouldn't mod a thing. Not even the spark plugs.

If your feeling luck - I might buy the oversized valves from engnbldr, but I think any performance mod will effect the reliability.

The 3vze is a complete dog - and I don't think you can make it go any faster without some serious cam / injector work which I'm sure the ECU won't know how to deal with.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:32 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/supercharge-3-0-not-standard-noob-question-35688/

i started this thread... got flamed like radrex just did but then got some serious answers, the bottom line is we are treading a path that is rare on the 3.slow. most swap or go with a big suspension to offroad with. i plan on working the 3.slow. ill keep everyone updated.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Okay I can't keep quiet on this. People are bashing the 3.0 something fierce here lately. Put some headers on it, a custom downpipe, a good catback, and something for the intake. GEAR IT properly and it will have plenty of juice. I love my 3.0 cept when I'm pulling my trailer but I can live with that. While you have it torn down I would go ahead and replace the waterpump it's a pain otherwise to do.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gtm130
got flamed like radrex just did
I don't get this guy... That is all he does in any thread I start anymore. Shows up and proclaims his ignorance with every post. I'm sorry, don't want to start any flaming wars, but I just don't get him.

Thanks for the link... I was actually staying on that thread anyways. I am not sure if I want to spend too much money getting anything specialy made. Then I would probably do the swap. I have a local guy that has done a few to help me out. Do they make a special header for the 3.0?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:51 AM

One of my favorite mods on my 3.0 is the ported and polished intake and plenum. That, along with a bored t-body will give her some pep. Oh, you'll need a place for all that extra air to go. So headers and custom exhaust are a must. You actually can get some power out of the 3.0 believe it or not. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've test driven 3 different 3rd gens (all stock), and my 95 was faster than all of them. One of the pipe monkeys at my exhaust shop drives a 99 runner and he was jealous of my runner after a test drive.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of mods I'd make are to get a set of stronger headbolts and connecting rods. When you hear about a 3.0 dying a sudden death, it's usually related to those two things.

If ya still got money, then why not cam it, just make sure the new ones aren't someones high rpm torque cams...those would really suck on the trail. Plus you could port, polish, use over size valves (probably ruin your low rpm torque), headers and a nice snorkle to suck in that nice outside air.

Headers can be gotten from Northwest Offroad or Downey. You'll hear a lot of horror stories from folks who have dealt with either of them.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.doaracingengines.com/
http://toyotaperformance.com/

Keep the rest of us informed because there's more 3.0s dying all the time and the only options are swaps or overhauls. And there are + and - to both.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:21 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Does any body know for sure if the 3vze blocks commonly listed as "6 Motor mount bosses on psgr side, 2 extra bosses below head. Upper mount type" and "4 Motor mount bosses on psgr side, Lower mount type" are really different - can they interchange? Haven't tried to see which I have, but found a super deal on a reman motor that I'd consider buying just to keep for when mine dies.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TRunner
Just wondering what are some good mods to do durring a full rebuild. I am goint to do a lot of powder coating, but what about performance? Should I look for headers?

Basically what should I do to help performance while I have the engine pulled and completely broken down for rebuild? I am game for anything, almost...
Check out this thread

It's a good first hand account.

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
One of my favorite mods on my 3.0 is the ported and polished intake and plenum. That, along with a bored t-body will give her some pep. Oh, you'll need a place for all that extra air to go. So headers and custom exhaust are a must. You actually can get some power out of the 3.0 believe it or not. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've test driven 3 different 3rd gens (all stock), and my 95 was faster than all of them. One of the pipe monkeys at my exhaust shop drives a 99 runner and he was jealous of my runner after a test drive.
Man we need people like you go post this more often! I am under the impression there is a fair amount of folklore regarding 3.0 build ups. When I read from people whove done it, they say things along the lines of what you have said. When people who haven't respond to these questions it's the same negative rhetoric over and over..... My feeling is when compared to a 3.4 swap, a correctly done 3.0 is financially much cheaper and a viable option. At 287,000 miles it's only time before I find out for myself....

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 PM

3.0 Mods during rebuild

Hey have not done a rebuild but I have definately done a few mods. Downy headers, 2 1/2" exhaust through a large turbo muffler from Summitt, 2 1/2" hi flow cat. A new heavy duty clutch and a drop in K&N filter, just drill the box full of 5/32" holes towards the front and fender side of the truck it will get plenty of air. With those mods you'll get a easy 800-1000 more rpm's per gear. your truck should easily pull to 5500 rpms a gear and not miss a beat. Lastly take a razor blade and cut the seal on the air mass sensor, pull open, gently with a knife blade. You will see what looks like a ring in a military compass, there is a arm holding the ring tight. Mark where the arm hits the ring and there back the ring counter clock wise three(3) notchs. This will allow the mass air sensor to open quicker and allow more air to enter the truck, you will notice a difference, Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM

Ok - you take a 150 hp 3.0 liter engine - Don't do anything to the fuel injectors - or the Engine Control Unit. Exactly how much more power do you think you can get out of a set of Headers?? A Air Box Mod? 5 maybe 10 HP. I doubt even that would be possible honestly. But some people to feel that their vehicle has more power just because it makes more noise.

I'm thinking the only way you can get more power out of this thing is to have the Fuel Injectors Modified to pump more fuel into the engine (Which RC Engineering will gladly do). Then you'll need to get bigger valves and some different Cams to get more air in there - and then the headers. Then I would think you would need some serious reprogramming of the ECU to get it to mix everything properly at the right time etc..
I have no idea who could pull this off.

Hmmm - I don't think so. I think if I had enough money for all of this, I'd just sell it - and get a 96+ with the dual overhead cams.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:16 PM

i know that for the 300zx you could cut the tops off the injectors and suprisingly enough they changed from 250cc ish to like 600 no fail. send em to rc to have the flow checked and then try that, its a real common cheap mod on 300zx's
Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by radrex
Ok - you take a 150 hp 3.0 liter engine - Don't do anything to the fuel injectors - or the Engine Control Unit. Exactly how much more power do you think you can get out of a set of Headers?? A Air Box Mod? 5 maybe 10 HP. I doubt even that would be possible honestly. But some people to feel that their vehicle has more power just because it makes more noise.

I'm thinking the only way you can get more power out of this thing is to have the Fuel Injectors Modified to pump more fuel into the engine (Which RC Engineering will gladly do). Then you'll need to get bigger valves and some different Cams to get more air in there - and then the headers. Then I would think you would need some serious reprogramming of the ECU to get it to mix everything properly at the right time etc..
I have no idea who could pull this off.

Hmmm - I don't think so. I think if I had enough money for all of this, I'd just sell it - and get a 96+ with the dual overhead cams.
That's an aweful lot of thinking there. But.. it sounds like you don't actually know any of this or have even tried it..... If you could maintain peak torque at 1000 RPM higher, that would be a 25% increase in power....

BTW, exactly what is the max flowrate of the injectors now and how close exactly are they to their limits? Without that information how can you make even a remotely educated guess as to whether or not changing them would help? BTW again, how do you know the engine computer won't see the exaust lean out and try, maybe heaven forbid even successfully, to compensate with more fuel?

It's fine that you can go and get whatever truck you want but I'm not sure how any of what you posted is useful to someone looking to hop up what they have.

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 04:10 PM

Alright, I could sit and read all the good and bad that everyone is writting and posting links about the 3VZ-E that came in the 4Runners and Trucks. But have a real answer for you and it's the current project that I'm working on that is taking alot longer due to lack of work and as a result funds.

Here is what needs to be done to give yourself a good basis to get more HP than a stock 5VZ-FE.

1. Get a rebuild kit for a 3VZ-FE engine pistons too, though they usually come with the kits. (92-93 Camry)

2. Get heads w/ignition and valve covers from the above engine. (DOHC) you can pick up used heads in good condition for $75 ea. if you shop around. Rebuild them. Or you can buy rebuilt heads from TAP Recycling for $450 ea.

3. Get the entire intake plenem (3 pieces) and TB from a 3rd gen. 4Runner/Taco. Yhis is needed to bolt to your new heads.

4. Have headers made or fab them yourself if you have the means. Dual 2 1/2" exhaust or single 3".

Then if you want, you can do all of the porting and polishing and all of the other stuff that people are recommending.

I've been hesitant about talking about this, wanting to be the first to finish mine, but if you're in the process and want to know what I'm doing, there it is. This all bolts right up since they are essentially the same block. If you know the engine codes and have worked with Toyotas enough you'd be surprised what all will change over. The Celica owners out there know all about head swaps with Toyotas.

You might ask the reason for the intake from a 5VZ and not the stock intake or one from the 3ZV-FE, and here is the answer. The stock intake....the lower part that bolts to the heads is now too wide for the new larger heads and the upper part will not bolt to the lower of the 3VZ-FE or 5VZ-FE. The 3VZ-FE intake will work, but will face your firewall, which isn't good (have to thing how it was mounted in the Camry). So the 5VZ-FE being a RWD/4WD application will make it face the right direction.

I could make this post insanely long with all of the info that I have about these engines and Toyota engines in general, but I won't. If you have anymore questions feel free to reply to this or message me.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:21 PM

Now that's some good info! You woulnd't believe how many times someone has asked if Camry heads could be put on a runner block.... All this makes me very excited to rebuild my motor.. something one would normally dread.

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
Now that's some good info! You woulnd't believe how many times someone has asked if Camry heads could be put on a runner block.... All this makes me very excited to rebuild my motor.. something one would normally dread.

Frank
Hey, glad you liked that. If it's engine work on Toyotas, I'm your man. I come here to pick the brains of the suspension and lift guys on here. We all have our strong points, that's we come here to find out what we don't know about these trucks.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM

this is awesome!!! you just made my day!!! actually the whole week!!! ive been looking for something like this. now what kind of power are we talking? around what the 3.4 does stock?
also, since you have the manifold from it could you use the 3.4's sc?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by gtm130
this is awesome!!! you just made my day!!! actually the whole week!!! ive been looking for something like this. now what kind of power are we talking? around what the 3.4 does stock?
also, since you have the manifold from it could you use the 3.4's sc?
Honestly, I hadn't thought about that, but I'd say yes.....BUT.....there was that problem with detonation until they added that ECU mod, so I'd say if you do this head swap, be careful. You have to think that you're still running the 3VZ-E ECU and injectors.

I'd say that you could for sure (if it fit and everything lined up) and if you used an additional injector.

As for HP:

3VZ-E 150HP@4800RPM and 180lb.ft.@3400RPM
3VZ-FE 185HP@5200RPM and 203lb.ft.@4400RPM
5VZ-FE 190HP@4800PRM and 220lb.ft.@3600RPM

I'd say with headers (since you'd almost have to fab these up anyway), exhaust and intake; you'd be at least 195HP since the exhaust on these cars stock sucks. I think you might be able to push say 200HP with other little tweaking.

I forgot to mention before there might be a clearnce problem with the ignition with these heads......the distributor will be on the back side of the engine. Might be less of an issue if one at all on rigs with bodylifts.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Dan I appreciate the info your throwing out. I'd really like to get into this. Cant wait to see your final result.

Quick Reply: Mods for the 3.0 durring a full rebuild