86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Missing on 1 & 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing on 1 & 2

Good day all - first post here. My name's Robert, I live near Roseburg Or and this is in regards to my daughter's 94 2wd manual pickup w/ 22re.

She was on a trip to town recently when she called home stating she couldn't keep her truck running. It hadn't previously been experiencing any problems. When I arrived the engine wouldn't stay running unless fairly high rpm's were maintained; it ran very rough and lacked power. Temp was fine and it had oil so figured I'd cripple it home.

I did the basics - pulling plugs and swapping both plugs and wires, and cleaned contacts inside cap to eliminate the few basics I knew. Seemed to narrow down to both 1&2 not firing despite good spark which after a search on this and other sites, I decided to pull injectors for cleaning. I did the stethoscope test but it was inconclusive to my untrained ears. All 4 seemed to tick with 1&2 perhaps seeming a bit "thready" or soft at the worst.

I pulled everything off and checked the injectors. Those 2 shot fuel out to the sides of the tip and inconsistently at best. I also checked resistance (I think that's what I did at least) and all 4 were the same. I then used the 9v and solvent inside a syringe method of cleaning injectors (learned from youtube) and achieved better and consistent streams. I ordered new seal kits and pintle caps from LC, put injectors back together and reassembled everything. I didn't keep track of which injectors were which and hoped/expected to not have to worry about it.

Startup was disappointing as the engine essentially ran the exact same as before, still missing on one and two. More reading here has shown a possibility of wiring harness corrosion, but before I tear it all apart again - thought I'd see if anybody had any easy answers.

From what it looks like to me, 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 are more likely to not fire because of how it looks like they share connections. I haven't found anybody talking about 1 & 2 being problematic. A friend suggested a compression test and I do have a screw in tester so I'm going to look at that this weekend. I hadn't been thinking of anything that catastrophic.

Anybody recognize these symptoms? Anything specific come to mind?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
right. all injectors are the same, so it doesn't technically matter where they go. it would be good for reference, though, to monitor which ones you might suspect aren't firing.

if the injectors are ticking, that means they're getting voltage, atleast. doubtful you have wiring issue, then.

did she get gasoline on her trip to town? bad gas? fuel filter? perhaps your fuel pump is taking a dive.

Last edited by thook; 05-24-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I had pulled the wire out of the injector connector, so the injector wasn't opening, and despite having 5 "good" cylinders I couldn't get it to idle (and since I have an automatic, meant I couldn't even limp it). https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52330847 In other words, symptoms similar to yours.

The stethoscope test is important, and you used the 9v battery to check for action, but it is still possible that injector is not receiving the opening pulse. You could repeat the stethoscope test, or you could try quickly pulling a plug to see if it is wet.

All the injectors open at the same time, so if you have enough slack in the harness (probably not) you can switch connectors to see if the dead cylinder follows. Or rig up a jumper.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Perhaps a a fuel issue like thook said. it could be your fuel filter, fuel pump or theres just ˟˟˟˟ty gas
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Thanks guys - I'll ask if she fueled up but in the mean time, a jumper sounds like a good idea except for... what about the timing? Will the cylinders actually fire?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 PM

All the injectors fire at the same time. The spark plugs fire one at a time in sequence. So electrically "piggy backing" one injector on another has nothing to do with ignition timing (except that the injectors open once per two crank revolutions, just like the plugs, so the opening frequency increases with rpms.)

You've confirmed (haven't you?) that you're getting spark to one and two. (If not, the easy way to do that is with the inductive lead from your timing light. If the timing light flashes, the plug is firing.)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM

I thoughr I'd read all the injectors fired at the same time somewhere but could hardly conceive that would be true and couldn't really find much online to confirm it. Good to know.

I switched plugs and wires to make sure it wasn't one or the other failing. Both of those things even when switched, continued to fire on 3 and 4. I also removed the plugs but kept them plugged in to make sure they added which they did.

I'll get back to y'all after I'm able to check this out. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by rbrt73
I thoughr I'd read all the injectors fired at the same time somewhere but could hardly conceive that would be true and couldn't really find much online to confirm it. Good to know. ...
And you'd take MY word for it?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...taTech/h22.pdf