Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride

Might as well start one about my ride. Its a 1990 DLX Extra Cab 4X4. 5 speed manual. It has the 3.0L 3VZE. Say what you will, but I konda like the 3.0L. Coming from a fella that raced the 22r motors for over 10 years, it's got a little zing to it. Granted I'd love to put a 22 in it and use my old notes to get the pony's up there, but from what I have read here, it's have to be a labor of love. I'm up to it, but funding is a little low for "playing" right now. I plan on snatching a 3VZE up from somewhere and putting it on a stand and rebuild it from the "ground" up and see what I can get out of it. I will NOT post any assumptions or numbers without having black and white to back it up. I don't play that way.

Here is what has been done up to this point.

New V/C gaskets
New radiator hoses
New shroud
New t/stat
New vac lines
New plugs, wires, cap and rotors
New fuel lines and filter
New Bosch 4 hole injectors
New plenum and T/B gaskets
Rebuilt starter
New exhaust from the converter back (removed the converter) no smog test here

In progress stuff

Rebuilding the P/S pump and replacing hoses
Converting the A/C to R-134

I wont say I'm a Yota genius, but I know a good bit about them and the 22r stuff. 10 years, 2 championships and about 18 wins will attest to the knowledge I gained with my late father while turning left.

I will get pics posted soon, by no means is she a looker, but that is subject to change. I'm a believer in run good first, look good next.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Yota Racer
I will get pics posted soon, by no means is she a looker, but that is subject to change. I'm a believer in run good first, look good next.
Hah - I think most of our trucks on here would not win any beauty contests!

I'm interested in hearing more about this race history with Toyotas, please tell us more.

And I'll say one other thing. All through college and a bit beyond I drove a 1988 Pickup 4x4, 3.0 5sp, had for maybe 7 years. I never had an ounce of trouble from the engine, and I always thought it was pretty peppy. I goofed like everyone does and I traded it in when I bought a new car, I think they gave me maybe $1500. Anyway, I have no complaints about the 3.0.

Last edited by coryc85; 05-25-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
I'm interested in hearing more about this race history with Toyotas, please tell us more.
coryc85, I could spend a few hours telling my "stories" of the #33 Celica, there are tons of em, and as much as I love talking about the good ol days with Dad, I'm afraid some would take it as bragging, and that is one thing I don't like to do. There are no dyno test or what have you on the motors we built, just trophies and pictures. I'm not saying we were the fastest Yota ever built, but what we did was fast. If there is a proper place to share them I will share some of our pictures.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
nothing wrong with approving of your success and sharing it. bragging is boosting yourself over others. doubt anyone here would take your stories that way. just sayin'...