Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mass load of parts replaced, still no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been wrenching on this truck for 5 years, I have plenty of experience on it... Just stumped at this point
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM

It has fuel but is the injector opening to let fuel into the intake? Could be the fuel injector resister pack. And check the ground at the intake manifold.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 02/89yota
I have been wrenching on this truck for 5 years, I have plenty of experience on it... Just stumped at this point
You've been wrenching for five years & you didn't even know how to pull ecu codes??

The questions you've asked sound like a newb....
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like I said im not trying to be rude. that ground wire picture was kinda missleading i guess
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 PM

does your truck have a catalytic converter on it? if it is part plugged it could run fine till a certain rpm and will back up pressure and motor cant breathe and will push exhaust into the intake. the noise might be the pressure backing up and shutting the flap door on the mass air meter.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by radrace2001
does your truck have a catalytic converter on it? if it is part plugged it could run fine till a certain rpm and will back up pressure and motor cant breathe and will push exhaust into the intake. the noise might be the pressure backing up and shutting the flap door on the mass air meter.

^^^Above spoken like a true newb without a clue.....ok, I guess now THAT makes me a d!ckf@ce~)

Seriously radrace2001; do you believe what you just wrote??

Let's recap. You stated you were driving & the truck suddenly stopped running. After replacing a bunch of parts, it's running now but won't take more than half throttle without dying. Pretty concise so far?

You've been offered a lot of advice that is unrelated to the likely problem (clean the TB, etc.) that is just preventative maintenance. We need to examine what ocurred immediately before the engine died, & what exactly was the last thing you did to enable the truck to actually START? Ground strap?

Next, we need to consider things that will cause the engine to die when you apply significant throttle. The only two I come up with are TPS not adjusted properly (shouldn't cause it to die, but....) or a fuel delivery issue. I think the sudden dying & the not running above half throttle are PROBABLY unrelated.

Let's go from there.

Also, folks with no clue don't need to be offering lame advice like "exhaust pressure backing up & flowing back out the VAFM"~

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 11-19-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know about anyone else, but this video doesn't help me at all. If you showed the gauges at least, that might help somewhat. I'd rather hear what's going on under the hood, though.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

I might be a noob to this site but I do know how to work on and diagnose cars.
And I thought this site was to possibly help other people not to put them down if they
Don't like what you suggested.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 AM

TN, there is a video earlier of the stuttering/dying.. that was a drive video and I don't know if on the gauges you're looking for a tach, but she doesn't have one.

As far as what I was doing. I was driving down a local road at 35 MPH, it kinda sputtered then died. Just like it sounds, when I replaced the TPS, it started, my old one was brown and nasty
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM

alright, so would a bad distributor cause all of this?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Try removing the cat converter. It is held on by 2 bolts unless it is welded on. Create an opening for the exhaust to escape. Or get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to the intake and see what it does when it starts to stall out. See if it drops to just about 0 when staying at the rpm.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

I might be a noob to this site but I do know how to work on and diagnose cars.
And I thought this site was to possibly help other people not to put them down if they
Don't like what you suggested.
Should I get you a tampon?

How are you helping by giving that kind of advice?? I just get tired of folks coming on here & making stupid suggestions when they don't know what they're talking about.

Perhaps I've been here too long & am jaded from the thousands of silly things that get posted every time someone asks a question. Sorry if I came across as an @$$hole. Sort of~

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

May I ask why my questions are so wrong? TNRabbit
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

May I ask why my questions are so wrong? TNRabbit
First, all Toyotas in the range of this thread have a catalytic converter (unless it was just removed completely). You're only question was "do you have a catalytic converter".

Second, the OP stated in the beginning he was driving along & the truck simply dies & would not start. We've not heard yet how he was able to get the truck running again, but it will now start & run like crap until over @ half throttle, when it begins to run correctly (we think). We need to know what changed to cause him to be able to start the truck.

Third, a CAT that is clogged sufficiently to cause backpressure to the point of blowing back out the VAFM (not possible!) wouldn't allow the engine to even run at all for more than a few seconds. I see a LOT of people suggesting CATs get clogged all the time, but I've never actually seen that happen. What does one have to do or put in the engine to cause a CAT to clog? I've had several of them apart & don't understand what would be clogging one....?

Fourth (aimed at those saying to replace this or that), by throwing out a myriad of things that "might" be the OP's issue, we're costing him time & money.

Additionally, in post #7, OP states:

Codes are 51 and 71, amd I have thw see through top big fuses amd the 80 is unbroken but kinda purple
So if he doesn't know how to pull the codes, how did he get those?

I reread this entire thread & it seems as though the EGR problem has not been addressed yet. That is one issue that would cause an engine to run like crap until you got the rpm's up. If it's sticking open (or the vacuum distribution puck is causing constant vacuum), that will cause the truck to not idle/die & would result in crappy performance lower in the RPM band. That's ONE thing that could cause it.

So....I guess my next question is has the OP tried disconnecting the vacuum line to the EGR to see if that corrects the situation? Easy to do, doesn't cost a thing, & might explain at least part of his problems.

I guess I'm in a bad mood~

Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I have personally had a clogged cat. Not on a yota though. It was on my Hyundai Elantra I used to race. Drove 6+ months with the check engine light on. CEL = on, depending on code means engine runs rich. = more carbon build-up in engine. Over time this can clogged up the honeycomb in the cat. Now mind you when I clogged that cat the car only had less then 20,000 on the clock as well. Try doing this on a cat that already has 100k plus on it.

Why did I know it was a clogged cat? Engine started but as soon as I stepped on the throttle, dies. How did I trouble shoot it at first? I pulled the upstream 02 sensor from the exhaust allowing the gasses to escape. Engine ran. And actually drove !!!! I went home gutted the cat and ran fine after that. And mind you, this was not the upstream cat. It was the down stream cat !!!! Go figure. And the day before I noticed this the car ran 100% completely fine, other then the CEL being on. (I can't remember what I left it on for though)

Now onto the electronics side of it, what happens when you get exhaust backpressure before the cat in a non cali 1 cat truck. Exhaust gases pool up which throws the 02 sensor reading off. Most likely thinking there is too much fuel in the exhaust. What happens? ECU throttles down on the fuel trim. Thus if your going slow and you don't need that amt of flow you actually might not see an affect at lower rpms and speeds. But get to a speed and rpm that requires a good percentage of fuel flow, ECU is not gonna send it, because the 02 sensor isn't measuring the proper amt of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

But with a clogged cat there is a very good possibility you can make the cat or the upsream exhaust pip glow. I've seen it.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM

If you re read the older posts it will say he replaced the tps sensor and it started to run. And when he has it running it will NOT go over half throttle it will sputter and try to die.

I was asking if he had a cat on the truck because I did not know if he had taken it off. He stated he replaced the exhaust. He did not say the cat.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

i know u say u have spark but check for good spark take plug wire off and hold it about a inch from a form of metal it should send a deep blue spark veer easy from a inch to about a inch and a half... if u have good spark try spraying just a littel bit of carb or brake clean in the intake it if fires or try's to state then u have a fuel problem
Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM

To answer the question, yes there is a cat on the truck.

Now, two days ago, I was able to get the P.O.S to start and run, I adjusted the timing, toward the cab of the truck (retard?) and it stopped the pinging nd actually felt like the truck had life again, I was able to freely spin the tires to the top of second gear.. I do believe however the truck has the ORIGINAL distributor, as it is a genuine OEM toyota one and was caked with dirt and grime.

After the truck running for about 15mins or so with the timing the way it was and running around the neighborhood, I put about 5 gallons of gas in it, when I was driving home, its kinda started to sputter again, I was pulling into the driveway and it died yet again, NOW the damn thing won't start, I tried putting the timing back to where it originally was when I adjusted it, yes I marked it with a paint pen, and still nothing

This truck is causing massive headaches right now and seeing that we got about an inch of snow last night, it needs to get fixed ASAP!

PLEASE, HELP!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Here is what I would do, get a timing light on the distributor and put the timing where it's supposed to be, if it still doesn't want to run, get yourself a compression gauge and do a compression and/or leakdown check, if the compression check doesn't look right or even if it does, take the timing cover off, verify timing chain has not slipped and that the timing marks line up. .

Secondly do you have a multimeter? Have you tried running this thing with the fuel pump jumper jumped? I might have missed some things, I don't want to go back 5 pages to find out. Your CEL isn't on currently correct?

If you don't have a compression gauge, timing light, multimeter, I cannot stress enough, that trying to diagnose things like this is impossible and everything that you do do, is all assumptions and is one of the reasons why your getting so many different inputs as to what the problem is.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM

new fuel pump, no CEL, I will go out and pick these things up, but money is getting really tight

Quick Reply: Mass load of parts replaced, still no start