Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LOUD creaking from front end when in 4WD - tight turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOUD creaking from front end when in 4WD - tight turns

Hi everyone,

My truck intermittently makes a very very loud creaking/binding type noise about 50% of the time when I make tight turns in 4-High. I'm pretty sure it happens more so when making left turns.

Whenever the turns are being made, I'm on a low friction ground surface (gravel, dirt, etc.) so there shouldn't be any problems in making the tight turn as the wheels can spin on the ground if need be.

I'm a rookie truck guy, so I'm still unfamiliar with how all the gears, axles, and propshafts work and slide in and out of each other.

I recently changed both front and rear diffs (complete housings/pumpkins and all) but the noise has remained.

Beyond this noise, there is absolutely no other issue with the truck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Migs
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Steering stops.
Search.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You can smear some grease on the steering stops but sound will be back sooner (first big puddle) or later (a good long rainy drive)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But the steering creaking should happen regardless of 4WD or 2WD. Anyways, if it is the steering stops, then this ebay seller claims to sell better aftermarket steering stops that are better than OEM and are less prone to wear n tear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220682382195

BTW, I just bought one after seeing this thread .. my truck always creeks pretty loud when I do a sharp turn .. other ppl in the truck sort of get worried as if I broke something ...

Last edited by hgill; 11-21-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 PM

When the creaking happens I can actually feel the drivetrain binding under me somehow.

Still think it's the stops? Sounds like front axle shafts that aren't fully disengaging or so

Why would the creaking not be there when in 2WD?

Migs

Last edited by Migs; 11-21-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smear grease on the 4 steering stops as previously posted - it takes less than 5 minutes to confirm whether that solves the issue. If the noise persists, I would think about CV joints next.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Migs
Hi everyone,

My truck intermittently makes a very very loud creaking/binding type noise about 50% of the time when I make tight turns in 4-High. I'm pretty sure it happens more so when making left turns.

Whenever the turns are being made, I'm on a low friction ground surface (gravel, dirt, etc.) so there shouldn't be any problems in making the tight turn as the wheels can spin on the ground if need be.

I'm a rookie truck guy, so I'm still unfamiliar with how all the gears, axles, and propshafts work and slide in and out of each other.

I recently changed both front and rear diffs (complete housings/pumpkins and all) but the noise has remained.

Beyond this noise, there is absolutely no other issue with the truck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Migs
Sounds 100% normal. Your truck has "part-time" 4WD and that means you should not use it all the time. In fact use on high traction surfaces like pavement is not recommended. Why? For the very reasons you describe, drivetrain binding. And the same thing still happens on lower friction surface like gravel, just to a lesser degree.

Why does that happen? The transfer case is 100% locked in 4WD mode, there is no slip in it and when turning, the front tires will swing a wider arc than the rear tires. Wider arc = longer distance traveled = more turns of the front tires than the rear.

But for sure check the steering stops (if it is an IFS truck):
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ront_end/lube/

And are you sure you have the same front/rear gear ratios?

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-22-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Tires spinning won't make binding gear noises though...it'll make tires spinning on loose ground noise. Again, I'm only using 4WD on slippery surfaces. Even on snow I'll hear the binding and actually feel the creaking coming through the chassis of the truck.

The noise is loud enough that people in parking lots stop and stare as if a gun just went off. It's that loud.

haha yes, both diffs came out of the same donor vehicle.

I have little reason to believe it's the steering stops since the problem doesn't happen in 2WD, but I'll grease them up anyways

Thanks for all the help so far!

Mig
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might see if you can isolate the source of the noise then. Try having someone else turn slowly while you listen from outside. Might also try putting the hole rig on jack stands and see if the noise repeats with the tires in the air. Other thing to try is pulling the rear driveshaft and run in FWD and see if the noise is still there. W/o the rear shaft, there should be no binding at the t-case. Maybe try spinning the CV shafts by hand (tires in the air) and feel for any binding while the wheels are turned to the left and right.