Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LED Bulb question

Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Bulb question

I have been reading a lot on LEDs lately in the forums. I am thinking of putting them in my 92 pickup 4x4 22re. I am looking at doing dome light, tail, turn signals parking and reverse. Although I have read a lot I still am not sure what is best. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best led bulbs that I can buy for this truck.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure about the best brand but I love mine. I've had some of my friends say it makes my lights look newer. I would buy the bulbs with the most leds on one socket
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM

What kind of leds do you have?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM

Super Bright LEDs is a place to start looking.

Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

I would not suggest putting them in your reverse lights. The aftermarket LEDs aren't bright enough to use, but if you're doing it all for looks then by all means go for it! Here's the link for SuperBright LEDs. I would suggest reading this first page first before ordering any bulbs.

http://superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Last edited by humanoid; 06-20-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM

I own a couple of companies, one of them is Corvette Enhancements. One of the product we offer are Black-Out light kits pictured below. Because the lens tinting we do reduces Illumination, I've researched every LED bulb that I could find available. This was done in hopes of finding brighter than standard bulbs. Unfortunately all LED bulb that we tested have failed miserably being that they were much dimmer than the cheap standard bulbs. Of course that's your choice if you don't mind them being dimmer, but I just wanted to mention that. Also you will need to install a 6 ohm equalizer in line or replace the flasher for your signal/flashers. Otherwise your signal/flashers will look like a strobe light. So this adds to the expense as well. I'm guessing our trucks would need a total of two 6 ohm equalizers @ about $7.00 each ... one for right side, one for the left. Then you need to mount these qualizers in an area that's not effected by the heat produced. They will burn paint and plastics. It's probably easier to replace the flashers on out trucks, but I don't know what flasher to suggest. We use the equalizers on the Vettes because you have to remove a great deal of the dash to replace the flasher. It's just a nightmare to access. Anyway, good luck to you. Please post your findings.
Thanks,
Richard

Old 06-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

C5VetteLS1,
So what wavelength LEDs did you use in the red taillights? If you used white, I could see that it would be a real problem. I would expect that a red LED would to get filtered as much as any other color. It is fairly clear that LED's tend to not be as bright as incandescent bulbs in automobile lighting given the same volume or surface area. The lighting has to be designed for LED ( replace reflector with LED array) in order for LEDs to work well.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Well I ordered a led festoon bulb today for my dome light inside. I think that I am going to hold off a little while until I can do a little more research on these things. I am thinking it might also be interesting to try and build my own leds and reflectors for my truck. I think by doing it myself and somehow making a better reflector, that I might be able to make lights that are bright enough. Fortunately I don't live in one of those states where you have to have your vehicle inspected.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 86Original
C5VetteLS1,
So what wavelength LEDs did you use in the red taillights? If you used white, I could see that it would be a real problem. I would expect that a red LED would to get filtered as much as any other color. It is fairly clear that LED's tend to not be as bright as incandescent bulbs in automobile lighting given the same volume or surface area. The lighting has to be designed for LED ( replace reflector with LED array) in order for LEDs to work well.
We used both red & white for testing. You're correct, the white were dimmer than the red. However the red is still dimmer than standard as pictured above. You're also correct about lenses being designed for the LEDs. And even more effective when the LEDs are right up close to the lens. I'm guessing that nobody is making these for the Toyota's because not many would be willing to pay the price. Good quality LED light housing for the Corvettes run just under $100.00 each. They're also brighter than standard bulb housing, and completely plug-n-play.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For dome lights I would go with www.taskled.com.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 AM

I tried the LEDs in my 4Runners tail lights... Unfortunately the opening is about the size of a standard bulb, which limits the size of the LED cluster you can put thru the hole. They were no where near as bright as the incandecent bulbs. Second, you cant use them for turn signals, unless you dont mind them flashing really fast. The LED clusters have very high impedence when compared to the stock bulb. So the flasher unit thinks a bulb is burned out in the circuit and flashes twice as fast.

Just my 2 pennys...

toyo22r@hotmail.com
95 4Runner
Old 06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use them if you put a resister in parallel with the lights.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just had some input that I did not see in here yet. For my DSM (Eclipse GSX) for areas where I wanted "brighter" I used replacement Xenon bulbs. They are super bright, work great, have had them for over 4 years as well. One big reason I shyed away LED was because most are polarized. So, if you put them in the wrong way they won't light up.

I bought mine off eBay so I apologize I can't give out a certain vendor or one person to go to.