86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

keep blowing dash fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
... The PO didn't "ground it to the frame," he connected it to the truck bed. On my truck, the truck bed is NOT at ground. (The frame is, but the bed is mounted with rubber vibration insulators, which means there is not a good electrical connection bed-frame. Which is WHY there is a separate wire (W-B) to provide ground to the taillight assembly; you can't count on grounding it to the body.) ...
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
The truck bed should be properly grounded. ...
Uh, why? Toyota didn't expect the bed to be grounded; that's why there's a separate W-B wire (ground) pulled all the way from the front back to the taillights (same with the stop lights and dome lights, etc.) On mine (a '94) the bed is definitely NOT at ground. (This could be a model year thing. I expect that older, more exposed, trucks may end up with the bed "near" ground as the rubber vibration insulators wear out.)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Uh, why? Toyota didn't expect the bed to be grounded; that's why there's a separate W-B wire (ground) pulled all the way from the front back to the taillights (same with the stop lights and dome lights, etc.) On mine (a '94) the bed is definitely NOT at ground. (This could be a model year thing. I expect that older, more exposed, trucks may end up with the bed "near" ground as the rubber vibration insulators wear out.)
Grounding must be a model-specific thing, Scope.
Agree 110% about having dedicated ground wire (white wire with black stripe).
On the 1986 4Runner, I do not see a ground to the frame. However, there is a dedicated ground wire for circuits in the back and that ground wire is connected to body ground behind the driver side kick panel, and the rear body. I strongly believe in grounding metal parts that could develop a high static charge for safety. Must be same reasoning why Toyota grounded the body on our first-gen.

The wires kinda just disapear into the frame rail
In O.P.'s case, I suggest that IF impossible for him to physically trace the ground wire to be absolutely sure the ground circuit is complete, to use the bed metal as ground path... Rather than leaving the ground path a mystery

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.