86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought an 88 SR5 4Runner in great condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Just bought an 88 SR5 4Runner in great condition

Since I'm always on offer up, Craigslist, eBay etc looing for parts for my 86 4Runner, I came across this one. The guy wanted $5000 but I got it for $4200. More than I wanted to spend but other than a crappy stereo, alarm and bigger tires, it's pretty much stock. The body is in great condition, underside looks good, plus he's put a lot of work into it. He says the top has never been off. He's owned it since 1998 when he bought it off his friend who owned it since 1989. Oh, and everything works. Rear wiper/washer, heater, A/C all switches in the cab, even has the original power antenna.

Lots of history and lots of records which I like. I have no interest in turning this into a wheeler. The only modification I'm going to do is a soft top. In fact I'd like to keep this as stock and original as possible.

I do have a question though. In the pics youll see what looks like a ding in the paint that got exposed and started to rust. Is this a concern? I was planning on just adding a little touch up paint to keep it from rusting any further. Thoughts? Also, on the passenger side fender I see a small amount of bubbling or something? I don't see any paint chips or anything....

​​​​

Last edited by 881stgen; 04-29-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
Looks good from here! Well bought.
whats the mileage on it?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Looks good from here! Well bought.
whats the mileage on it?
thanks!
213,000 miles and it runs REALLY well. Alot better than any other I've owned. It even has the factory floor mats which are in great condition as well. Also has the original factory tow package.

Pretty much the only things that don't work are the high beam switch and the driver seat doesn't slide. Both easy fixes.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Clean!
That ding should be easy to fix. If you just want to stop rust from spreading, sand it and surrounding to remove the rust, prime with rust converter (like Permatx) and touch-up.

The bubbling around the chrome trim is a different story. Sorry to bear bad news but that chrome, like the windshield trim, traps dirt and moisture and promotes rust. Chances are that's what's causing the bubbling. That's why I removed non-functional chrome on mine...
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Clean!
That ding should be easy to fix. If you just want to stop rust from spreading, sand it and surrounding to remove the rust, prime with rust converter (like Permatx) and touch-up.

The bubbling around the chrome trim is a different story. Sorry to bear bad news but that chrome, like the windshield trim, traps dirt and moisture and promotes rust. Chances are that's what's causing the bubbling. That's why I removed non-functional chrome on mine...
I did know that there can be rust in those areas which is why I looked along all the trim. There is a little on the passenger fender as well which doesn't worry me as much since it's easily swapped.

The rear panel however does worry me. It's pretty small still and given how clean everything else was I thought it was worth it. How do I go about fixing this rust? Can I just grind it off and cover it up again somehow?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The first generation 4runner is one of my favorites and that sure is a nice one. The dashboard looks amazing to me. Mine has so much more cracking. I'd have to get rid of those chrome nerf bars if it was mine though.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stgen
I did know that there can be rust in those areas which is why I looked along all the trim. There is a little on the passenger fender as well which doesn't worry me as much since it's easily swapped.

The rear panel however does worry me. It's pretty small still and given how clean everything else was I thought it was worth it. How do I go about fixing this rust? Can I just grind it off and cover it up again somehow?
Remove the interior quarter panel pockets and take a look inside using a flashlight, or even better remove the whole interior quarter panel and tell us what you see.

Nice 4R! Does the cruise control work? Warn hubs? Power mirrors, some hate them other love them, I like them. Are those side trims OEM?

Last edited by SomedayJ; 04-29-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Beautiful runner! I think you got a good deal on it!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchtech
The first generation 4runner is one of my favorites and that sure is a nice one. The dashboard looks amazing to me. Mine has so much more cracking. I'd have to get rid of those chrome nerf bars if it was mine though.
Thanks! I have owned a couple and this one is the nicest by far. And yeah, I was shocked to see such little cracking on the dash. I actually have another gray dash that's completely crack free so I may swap it. I am anal like that.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
Beautiful runner! I think you got a good deal on it!
Thanks! I've been looking for a long time. Since I want to keep it a stock as possible, it was pretty much like looking for a unicorn. I mean this thing is as close to completely stock as I have seen, and also in good running condition.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
Remove the interior quarter panel pockets and take a look inside using a flashlight, or even better remove the whole interior quarter panel and tell us what you see.

Nice 4R! Does the cruise control work? Warn hubs? Power mirrors, some hate them other love them, I like them. Are those side trims OEM?
I will be opening her up this weekend. Fingers crossed there isn't too much damage. I plan on keeping it forever, so it may need to get some fiberglass panels.

Also, the cruise works. It's not the best, but that's what I have heard from these old toyotas. It engages quickly, but can be a little jerky trying to keep speed. I've also read on here that it could be a vaccum issue? Not sure. But it does work. Power mirrors work GREAT. I LOVE them!!!! WARN hubs work, but I have a set of AISIN hubs on my 86 that I may put on? Not sure.... ? Not sure about the side trim, but I think it's OEM. It looks like it.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
That is a really good buy. The straight rear bumper alone is worth 4200 dollars! And the fact that everything "works" is a nice bonus too. The cruise control on mine does the same thing. It's fine on flat roads up to about 70 MPH, but ask it to accelerate and it kind of jerks and says "NOPE!" and turns off. It probably needs more vacuum than can be delivered for modern traffic needs. I don't know, just a guess.

I don't think that beltline trim is factory. I've seen it on some, but it may have been an aftermarket product that was available back in the day. A sort of ding guard. In any case, really nice buy. Keep it stock if that's your goal.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The cruise control on our BRAND NEW '84 Toyota Van was messed up even when new. If you encountered a hill with the CC on, it would slow down and then shut off with a loud BANG! Ok on a flat road, but quickly learned to turn it off when we were going uphill.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
The member @keycw sells the sticker for the glove compartment and the maintenance card for the visor in case you need them:

Originally Posted by keycw

Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
The member @keycw sells the sticker for the glove compartment and the maintenance card for the visor in case you need them:
That's pretty sweet. Thanks! The maintenance card is there and in decent condition but I am missing the glove box sticker which I would like. I also need a new steering wheel, since it's not in good shape.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mholme
That is a really good buy. The straight rear bumper alone is worth 4200 dollars! And the fact that everything "works" is a nice bonus too. The cruise control on mine does the same thing. It's fine on flat roads up to about 70 MPH, but ask it to accelerate and it kind of jerks and says "NOPE!" and turns off. It probably needs more vacuum than can be delivered for modern traffic needs. I don't know, just a guess.

I don't think that beltline trim is factory. I've seen it on some, but it may have been an aftermarket product that was available back in the day. A sort of ding guard. In any case, really nice buy. Keep it stock if that's your goal.
It's weird that Toyota CC wasn't very good back then. An older 88 T4R that I used to own (auto v6) had cruise and it worked and seemed to work very well so I don't know!

Yeah, gonna keep it all stock. Garaged...probably gonna pull the top off. Oh, and aftermarket stereo, but that's all. One thing I did notice...it has an aftermarket stereo from early 90s and the sound came from all four speakers which surprised me. Never actually heard the rear speakers hooked up before, but they actually sound pretty damn good for what they are! I didn't even expect to hear them back there but you do. But when I installed the new alpine stereo I get nothing out of the back. I triple-checked my wiring even against the wiring that was hooked up before on the old stereo and it looks good. I feel like it's gotta be a setting on the stereo that I can't find unless there are some funky power sources that I need to look into for the rear speakers as I know they are amplified. But I would think they would get power in ACC just like most everything else.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably helps that an auto trans can shift itself when needed, where doing so with a manual trans would require depressing the clutch pedal, which deactivates cruise control.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 881stgen
It's weird that Toyota CC wasn't very good back then. An older 88 T4R that I used to own (auto v6) had cruise and it worked and seemed to work very well so I don't know!

Yeah, gonna keep it all stock. Garaged...probably gonna pull the top off. Oh, and aftermarket stereo, but that's all. One thing I did notice...it has an aftermarket stereo from early 90s and the sound came from all four speakers which surprised me. Never actually heard the rear speakers hooked up before, but they actually sound pretty damn good for what they are! I didn't even expect to hear them back there but you do. But when I installed the new alpine stereo I get nothing out of the back. I triple-checked my wiring even against the wiring that was hooked up before on the old stereo and it looks good. I feel like it's gotta be a setting on the stereo that I can't find unless there are some funky power sources that I need to look into for the rear speakers as I know they are amplified. But I would think they would get power in ACC just like most everything else.

If the OP wasn't such a tool he would have searched and found this post about the rear speakers!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Hey come on, that's asking a lot out of the poor guy
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice and clean looking interior! I have the transfer case decal if you need it PM me. I'm almost done with my interior.