86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent AC

I have a 93 V6 4x4 with a 92 engine. The AC stuff is all 93. The AC worked flawlessly and was very cold at first and now it seems to cut in and out. When it works, it works good and blows very cold. It seems to want to cut out at random times.

Facts:
The AC light comes on when the button is pressed.
When I feel it blowing warm air, I check and the compressor is not even coming on (RPM doesn't change when I push the button on and off).
Next thing you know, it works fine.

Anyone have any insight?

I hate cars.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's been pissing a lot of water lately. Don't know if it's the Florida humidity though.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:17 PM

could be the expansion valve. I had to replace that on my 88.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the clutch might not be engaging.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 86SR522REEFI
the clutch might not be engaging.
Seems like it does ok when I am driving down the road.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I called about the steering link rod last week, the lady said there was a recall on the expansion valve also. She said make sure the syatem would hold pressure then bring it in and they would do both recalls and charge the airconditioner.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Over charged, evap. freezing up, bad expansion valve?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rezrunner92
When I called about the steering link rod last week, the lady said there was a recall on the expansion valve also. She said make sure the syatem would hold pressure then bring it in and they would do both recalls and charge the airconditioner.
That's good info. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 AM

An expansion valve will not keep the A/C from turning on. Also Your A/C charge once low will not turn the low pressure switch on and off.

89dlx said freezing, this could be if it happens on long trips. The A/C performance will get warmer and you will notice that your vent air outlet will be less flow.

The Clutch failing is a possible cause, you might me at the maximum air gap for the magnetic clutch to engauge. This might cause an intermintant operation.

Does this happen at idle? if it does you idle speed could be too low. Or, your idle speed cutout could be set too high. This is adjusted but the black Knob on the A/C amplifier.

Do you have an automatic? The autos have a overtemp cutout, if your running hot his will shut off the A/C. I don't rember enough about this circut. I'll have to look more on monday at work.

Intermintant problems I would suspect somthing electrical related not A/C charge/mechanical related.

Edit: I just saw the pissing water comment, does your vent flow decrease (airflow)?

Last edited by mudbutt; 10-22-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by mudbutt
An expansion valve will not keep the A/C from turning on. Also Your A/C charge once low will not turn the low pressure switch on and off.

89dlx said freezing, this could be if it happens on long trips. The A/C performance will get warmer and you will notice that your vent air outlet will be less flow.

The Clutch failing is a possible cause, you might me at the maximum air gap for the magnetic clutch to engauge. This might cause an intermintant operation.

Does this happen at idle? if it does you idle speed could be too low. Or, your idle speed cutout could be set too high. This is adjusted but the black Knob on the A/C amplifier.

Do you have an automatic? The autos have a overtemp cutout, if your running hot his will shut off the A/C. I don't rember enough about this circut. I'll have to look more on monday at work.

Intermintant problems I would suspect somthing electrical related not A/C charge/mechanical related.

Edit: I just saw the pissing water comment, does your vent flow decrease (airflow)?
I did notice the temp gauge was a little higher than normal. Not nuch though. I was playingin the dirt a little but once I got out on the main road, the AC blew cold and it was all good.

On a side note, my temp gauge does flutter around when I am under throttle. Just started doing that recently.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mudbutt

Yeah my AC shop just bypassed this for me. On the auto tranny models there is a relay behind the glove box for the overtemp cutout. The relay can be bypassed, but if your's is shuting off because you are overheating that wouldn't be a good idea.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 AM

Oh yeah, it is an auto.

The truck doesn't seem to be overheating though. I need to get a different gauge that shows an actual temp.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtsumedi
Oh yeah, it is an auto.

The truck doesn't seem to be overheating though. I need to get a different gauge that shows an actual temp.
Yeah these factory temp gauges are really just a hair better than an idiot light. The needle will stay stuck smack dab in the middle of the gauge through a big range of temps.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Okay, the AC worked most of the day. This evening it started cutting off on me though. I kept a clsoe eye on the temp guage and it normally rides right below the center mark. Well, once it got up to about half the AC compressor stopped working and the truck got warm. This is under normal ass driving conditions. In fact, it only happened after dark and not in the dea heat of the day.

Recently I changed out the water pump and thermostat and I know the coolant level has been fine. There are no traces of any leaks at all.

Could my radiator fan clutch be taking a ลลลล? It seems to have been making a kind of weird noise lately that's like that sound where you spin a tire and the scuffing noise from where the brake pads just slightly rub the rotor.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM

Anyone know about those ffan clutches?