Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'Injectordyne' 4 hole injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Injectordyne' 4 hole injector problem

I replaced my stock injectors with a set of 4 hole units from Injectordyne. 4Runner ran fine with 178k prior to the swap; reset the ECU, but now it won't start. I get a strong fuel smell at the motor and tail pipe making me think there is a problem with the injectors. I've pulled the plenum twice checking for external fuel leaks but everything is dry, I used a Toyota plenum gasket and TB gasket. I've already contacted the seller and to his credit he is sending another set out but I just wanted to bounce the problem off you guys and make sure I'm barking the right tree. Could it be something else? Something I'm just missing?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm not sure why you would get a fuel smell at the motor, unless something was leaking somewhere.

Start with the simplest; pull the fuel return line from the FPR, and run a 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl hose to a suitable container. Run the fuel pump by jumpering FP to B+ with key-on. You should get about 1/2 liter/min.

Put the inductive pickup of your timing light on each plug wire, then crank. If the light flashes, you have spark (though whether it is at the right TIME is another issue.) Point the timing light at the timing marks to see if they are at least CLOSE to correct.

Squirt a tiny bit of starting fluid into the throttle body, and try to start. If it runs for a little bit, that suggests a lack-of-fuel problem.
The following users liked this post:
TheCoffee (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
I'm not sure why you would get a fuel smell at the motor, unless something was leaking somewhere.

Start with the simplest; pull the fuel return line from the FPR, and run a 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl hose to a suitable container. Run the fuel pump by jumpering FP to B+ with key-on. You should get about 1/2 liter/min.

Put the inductive pickup of your timing light on each plug wire, then crank. If the light flashes, you have spark (though whether it is at the right TIME is another issue.) Point the timing light at the timing marks to see if they are at least CLOSE to correct.

Squirt a tiny bit of starting fluid into the throttle body, and try to start. If it runs for a little bit, that suggests a lack-of-fuel problem.

Definitely not a fuel supply problem, I pulled a plug and cranked it over and had fuel shoot up the fender well. Truck was running just fine prior to replacing these injectors, only other work I did to it was replace the water bypass gasket (the vacuum temp sensor on left side is broken and plugged but can't see that being the issue), and replaced the valve cover gaskets.

thanks
Old 09-07-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Check your fuel pressure regulator, and make sure you did not route the fuel return line to the plenum.

I made that mistake one time. I had the charcoal canister hose tucked behind the canister, so it was not in my way. A week later when I finally got the engine put back together, I accidentally plugged the fuel return line into the plenum vacuum. Engine will get way too much gas, and will soak the spark plugs.

Last edited by snippits; 09-07-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by snippits
Check your fuel pressure regulator, and make sure you did not route the fuel return line to the plenum.

I made that mistake one time. I had the charcoal canister hose tucked behind the canister, so it was not in my way. A week later when I finally got the engine put back together, I accidentally plugged the fuel return line into the plenum vacuum.
You are talking about the fuel hose on the front drivers side fuel rail that goes to a vertical hard tube? I remembered the routing on that one because I ripped it in half removing the plenum when I forgot to disconnect it lol. I'm leaning towards bad injectors or less likely a plenum leak at the gasket. I noticed these injectors sit up higher in the seats than the stock ones did so maybe they sent the wrong set? New ones came in yesterday so I'll be swapping them out this weekend.

Edit, the vertical hard line is where the hose coming from the TB routes to, the fuel pressure regulator goes to a hard vacuum line, I mixed that up in my post

thanks for the reply

Last edited by TheCoffee; 09-07-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: oops