Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Problem

I have spent hours searching the forums for my issue and found nothing that addresses my problem other than the generic “key stuck in the ignition” postswhen people suggest graphite and lube in the ignition lock cylinder andgiggling the key and turning the steering wheel, which I have tried.

So I have a 1990 pickup with a 22RE and when I purchased it the driver’sside door had been replaced and had no lock in it. I bought a new lock set offebay that had the door locks, fuel door lock , and the ignition lock cylinderand they were all keyed the same. When the replacement set arrived I tried bothkeys in all the new locks (prior to installation) and they appeared to turn andoperate correctly. I installed the door locks and fuel door locks and they workfine. The problem I have came up when I went to install the new ignition lockcylinder. I removed the old one with no problem (turning to acc pushing thepin) and it pulled right out. When I went to install the new cylinder I turnedit to acc and pushed the pin in and slid her in. It was quite a snug fit andrequired more muscle than I thought was appropriate. It went all the way in andthe pin dropped down to secure it once all the way in however it will not turnover to the lock position so I can remove the key. It will turn all the way tothe right and start the truck and turn it off (to the acc position) but nofurther. Does anyone have any ideas?

Now as I write this post and thinking about what I did only 2 things come tomind….One is that when I was installing the lock cylinders it was 10 degreesout and after I had finished the doors and fuel door I hopped in the cab, shutthe door, and started the truck with the old key to get the heater on (my handswere freezing). While the truck was running I removed the old ignition lockcylinder and put the new one in. Could this have caused the cylinder to notreach the lock position? Is having the truck off and battery disconnected imperativeof new ignition lock cylinder replacement? The other though I had is thatperhaps I purchased a set for pre 86 pickup. Would the ignition lock cylinderfor and older model fit into mine and just not work correctly?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 PM

I may be a jackass for saying this. But did you try the key release on top of the steering column? Perhaps the old cylinder was worn out and let the key out in the acc position as mine does?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 PM

My truck doesn't have a key release on top of the steering column. Just to be clear and that I'm not confused, by key release I assume you mean one of those buttons you have to hold down to remove the key during normal key removal.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You should have quit when you had to start forcing things

Just how did the truck keep running if you turned the lock cylinder to ACC ???

You don`t need to depress the pin to install the ignition switch just push it in should go in nice and smooth.

you did compare the ebay parts with your old ones.

you would have been further ahead to just get the missing door lock and have it rekeyed

It is impossible to really tell without looking but your forcing bent something .
Either live with what you did try to remove the cylinder fix your mistake.

One need to watch some of that Ebay stuff. Go to the Ebay vendor and explain your problem maybe they can make it good.

Now days it is so easy to get parts picked wrong, boxed wrong and just poor quality.