86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need ideas-93 4r auto V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need ideas-93 4r auto V6

Okay, I need you guys to make a master plan for my 4 runner.
Currently stock except for:
Bilstein shocks
31' Tires
Upgraded sound system with 2 10' subs and 12 disc changer
New head gasket, valve covers, and crankshaft bearings in engine

Currently needs:
Saggy ass fixed
CV axles and ball joint boots replaced
Transmission? Not quite sure as of what what is up with the tranny but it really seems like it is on it's way out
More power!!

This is my daily driver and I do about 90/10 pavement/offroad driving. There is currently 198,000 miles on it. I do a lot of driving, usually about 500 miles a week and I go over the eastern continental divide twice a week. I also have a 96 tacoma with a manual 3.4 and it is so much more fun to drive! So I would like to do a 3.4 engine swap and a manual tranny swap. But considering that the auto tranny is not looking good right now, and with Christmas coming up, and other misc bills, it might not be the most economical option right now. The engine runs just fine but does have alot of miles on it. I would like to get as much power out of it as the Taco has. Should I keep the auto tranny and rebuild it? Re-gear to compensate for the bigger tires? Do the 3.4 swap or no?

Money is not really a concern as long as I have some time to build up. But like I said, the tranny seems like it is on it's way out and I need to figure out the master plan so I can know what to do with the tranny right now.

As for everything else--I like the 31' tires and do not want to go bigger or smaller. Anyone know how much more power I will get if I re-gear? I do not want a lift. The shocks are great! I do need to fix saggy ass and CV joints asap!
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought a 93 V6 178,000 miles, but with a manual transmission.

Here's what I have done with prices:

Timing belt ~$30
Eibach ProKit rear springs to fix saggy ass ~$150 from nopi.com
Shocks and steering stabilizer (mine were shot) from 4wheelparts ~$150
PIAA superwhite headlight bulbs ~$70 from nopi.com
PIAA P3000 driving lights ~$300 from 4wheelparts
CV joint ~$70 from Autozone (lifetime warranty)
Brake caliper and pads ~$100 from Autozone
Oil change, coolant flush, diff/transfer case oil change ~$150
Installed a radio and speakers (didn't have one) ~$400 from BestBuy

There have been two recalls on this series 4Runner - one for the head gasket and another for the steering relay rod. Call your dealer with your VIN and make sure they have been done (Mine goes in for the steering recall next week)

So far, I have been very happy with everything except the lights, but that is mostly an aiming issue I think. The springs are awesome - the back is slightly higher than the front now, and the ride is MUCH better as they have a progressive rate.

I have been able to do all the installation myself with a friend's help, so that has saved a bunch of money, and nothing has been real difficult.

There are not too many increase power options for the 3.0. There are a lot of posts on here how to do a 3.4 swap.

It will be interesting to see what people on here say...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 AM

It will be interesting to see what people on here say...
It is interesting that people are more into a nitro discussion than this one.

I don't think I am going to do any light upgrades. I do not like those bright lights when they are shining at me and I cannot see anything so I would not wish that on people passing me.

So I wonder if the 3.4 swap would be worth it with all the work done on the current engine. I could sell the 3.0 but how much would it be worth with 198,000 miles?

I think that I really want to do the manual transmission swap. Technically it does not give more power but it will be better performance and it will be more fun to drive (until I get behind a wreck on the freeway)

What would you do if you had what I have??
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I can recommend all the "mods" I've made. Everything has worked as well or better than anticipated.

If you're really unhappy with the 3.0 (and I'm not) and want a manual, I would do the engine swap - do it all at once. At the least, there is a MUCH larger selection of performance parts for the 3.4...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Schooler
It is interesting that people are more into a nitro discussion than this one.

I don't think I am going to do any light upgrades. I do not like those bright lights when they are shining at me and I cannot see anything so I would not wish that on people passing me.

So I wonder if the 3.4 swap would be worth it with all the work done on the current engine. I could sell the 3.0 but how much would it be worth with 198,000 miles?

I think that I really want to do the manual transmission swap. Technically it does not give more power but it will be better performance and it will be more fun to drive (until I get behind a wreck on the freeway)

What would you do if you had what I have??
3.4 swap looks pretty pricey based on a post here if you scroll down. It really depends on how much the truck is worth to you. I have friends that have dropped over $30k on an old Honda CRX b/c of the sentimental value to them.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

i have the same rig essentially. if you want power there is probably no amount of $$ you can throw at it that will make you happy in the end. do the airbox mod, ISR mod, perhaps a new exhaust (headers?) give it a full tune-up and do a techron concentrate treatment or 2 to bust up any carbon buildup. may also want to do a couple autorx treatments and see if it helps restore some lost compression. you can do it in your tranny and see if it helps there, too.

also, there are regular (yellow) headlight bulbs out there that will yield more light without the harsh white HID light effect you mention. try suvlights.com
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, to fix the sag, get some LC coils- Here's what Keggo did , Robinhood150 has some For sale

As for power, there are several swaps that you can consider, there is a lot of info here on a 3.4l swap if you'll search for it, This guy has done several and can give you any tips you might need- TeamShiftPoint You could also jump on the Lexus V8 bandwagon like Cebby or you could always consider a supra in-line six, www.supercharged.com
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Being that you have another vehicle to drive (the Taco), why don't you sell this 4Runner and look for either A. another 2nd gen with a manual or B. a 3rd gen with manual and the 3.4L. If those are not an option, then do the cheap things first, good tune up, Seafoam it first b/c it may foul the plugs.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Other engines besides the 3.4 that could work. Hmm...

The problem with driving the Taco is that it is usually driven by my bf, although he does not have a license, he still drives it. Plus it smells like a trashcan. If I could find another second gen EXACTLY like the one I have but with a manual, that would be good. I was not really think about the manual when I bought it though. I don't think I would go with 3rd gen. Don't like the hatch and there is really no swapping you could do for that.

The coils are the first thing I will be replacing. My truck has some serious ass sag, worse than many I have seen.

You know, I'm starting to think that the 31" tires were standard on this truck. The spare is 31 but how do I know, it could have been replaced. I need to find out what the gears are right now.

These are all really good ideas. The plan is taking form.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

31's were an option for your 4runner, the best way to find out what gears you have is to contact a dealer.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:36 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Don't need to go to the dealer - check the codes on the door jamb. Use the table:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html

This will also tell you what your original tire size was.

Would have never guessed you were a chick!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 AM

My code is G144. What I can deduce from that table is:
G=8" first position
14=4.875 gear ratio (note on table says 31" AT 22RE although I do not have 22RE)
4=4 pinions

So the 31" tires were stock. Is there any need to change my gear ratio? I think not unless someone will disagree with me.

If I cannot change my gear ratio to increase power, and I have already had a major tune up then the only things left are to do exhaust and air box mods which are fairly limited on this engine. I might just have to do a swap. Now I need to research all of the engine swaps done in the 2nd gen.

As for the tranny, I think I will seafoam it and hope it will last until January while I collect parts for the manual swap. (I cannot sell it and look for one with a manual due to the tranny problems without either screwing someone or taking a money loss on it.)

Can anyone point me to a thread or information on exhaust systems. There is a very slight leak in the muffler so I should add a new exhaust into the master plan.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

if it were me, i'd be considering myself lucky with the 4.88 gears; i have 4.56s and am moving up to 32" tires.

if you're going to seafoam it definitely do it before you change the plugs like coryc85 mentioned.

check out downey offroad for headers & exhaust system maybe.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 AM

Well since I really don't understand waht all the gear mumbo jumbo means...I was just looking for someone to tell me a number

"If you have 31" tires, then the best gear ratio you can have is 4.88"

Or something else. I will figure out what it all means later. As TC already figured out, I am a girl so my knowledge of automobiles goes back only 5 years and my knowledge of 4 runners only about 1 year. I was not blessed with wrenching on the car with my dad when I was very young so I just have to learn everything I can as I go.

Seafoam: I was doing the transmission treatment not the engine treatment. Are you saying I have to change the plugs after I do the seafoam tranny treatment??
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Hey Schooler - there are A LOT of people out there "learning as we go". Fortunately, you have found a place to help you learn...

As for gears:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio.htm

Higher numbers are lower gears.
Lower gears result in more torque being delivered to the ground, but increase RPM's for a given speed.
Larger tires effectively increase the gear ratio (lower the number), so therefore require lower gears to keep the engine at the same RPM for a given speed

I haven't done Seafoam (yet), but I would do both the transmission and the engine based on the successes I've read about on here.

Are you really that unhappy with the motor? A swap is an expensive and time consuming ordeal...

I recently did a minor tune up on mine, and it made a huge difference - the ignition timing was WAY off. These trucks are getting old now - a new oxygen sensor might be a good idea. I'm going to change mine next week - I'll let you know if it made any difference!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:46 AM

Well the engine has already had a major tune up recently although I should check with the mech to see if they adjusted the timing in any way.

The reason that I do not like the 3.0 is most likely because I also drive the Tacoma with the 3.4. It is a huge difference going over the TN/NC border. In the Taco I can go 65 or 70 in 4th gear with no problem. I could go faster if I felt like it. In the 4 runner, I have to get a huge head start down hill and get up to about 80 mph. Then I downshift at the first part of incline and it will gradually start to slow down to about 55. I can usually hold it at 55 and all the camrys are passing me.

I had a 90 4 runner that did not have a hitch, spare tire was removed and smaller tires and I could usually hold about 60 mph going over the mountain at best, but I have felt a significant power decrease with the 93. I am planning on keeping the 93 for a very long time because it is the ultimate vehicle for me-except for the loss of power.

I also used to have a Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L V6 and that thing was a tank! I could go over the mountain in 5th gear! So, after owning 4 different vehicles, I am now in the slowest one ever. It doesn't really help that I started out with the powerhouse Dodge either.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with the engine yet. I am getting a lot of ideas and trying to get a plan together.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Wow. Now I understand. Manual must make a big difference because I don't have anything like those problems. Downshifting from 5th to 4th doesn't kill your momentum that bad...I'm wondering if all these complaints against the 3VZE are really against the auto tranny...
Old 11-19-2005, 08:27 AM

You know it really does make a big difference in performance. That's why I think I am definately going to go with the manual swap. That's cheaper than an engine swap anyway and also my auto tranny is already on it's way out so what the hay.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Sounds like your plan then is to keep this 4Runner and make it more enjoyable to drive. Here's what I'd do if it were mine:

1. Since it has a bit of an exhaust leak, change the cat and muffler to more of a high flow system. Not sure what stock piping size is on your runner, but do a search here and see what size people are getting and if they like it.

2. Engine tune-up. FIRST do the seafoam in the intake. Then new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. New PCV, and fuel filter. Also, I would take this opportunity to advance your timing just a few degrees for some more pep.

3. Flush the tranny, change filter, refill with some good ATF. In my limited AT experience, the shifts always got crisper after new fluid.

4. Saggy butt fix. If you were ever gonna lift it, this would be the time, but you said no, so just some replacements for the rear then.

5. I would go with a new air intake, K&N or something similar. Might be debatable as to whether or not it's worth the money for the gains you get, but can't hurt.

As for gearing, with 31" tires, 4.88s will be plenty. If you go any lower (5.29s) then it will cost you in gas mileage running high RPMs on the highway.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I just drove from Cleveland to Charlotte through all the hills in WV and VA. It would hold 72 MPH in fifth at about 3125RPM on cruise control. It had a hard time holding it at 65 in fifth though.

What RPM is your truck at doing ~70 MPH?