Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I need help!! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help!! Please!

1994 4runner sr5 3.0 auto 4x4
Okay, I traded for the truck three days ago and it had a small miss and was idling real low well guy told me it needed spark plugs and wires went amd got the plugs and wores realized my wores would not fit the cap then noticed only two of the three wholes in caps lined up two bolt holes so wrong cap went amd got the cap that fits and chamged plugs wores caps and rotor button now truck has worse miss and wil not idle acts like its starving for fuel have checked timing. The giy told me the motor had been chamged amd im wondering if the distributor is for a 94 but is older model motor and wrong dostributor for the motor amy ideas?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthanyHale71
Okay, I traded for the truck three days ago and it had a small miss and was idling real low well guy told me it needed spark plugs and wires went amd got the plugs and wores realized my wores would not fit the cap then noticed only two of the three wholes in caps lined up two bolt holes so wrong cap went amd got the cap that fits and chamged plugs wores caps and rotor button now truck has worse miss and wil not idle acts like its starving for fuel have checked timing. The giy told me the motor had been chamged amd im wondering if the distributor is for a 94 but is older model motor and wrong dostributor for the motor amy ideas?
bet you got one of the wires out of order. Google firing order of 3.0 and cap should have number one marked. Believe number go clockwise on cap, but google that too to fact check me:
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
bet you got one of the wires out of order. Google firing order of 3.0 and cap should have number one marked. Believe number go clockwise on cap, but google that too to fact check me:
I thought i may have done that two have checked it several times to make sure thats not it
Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM

Any other ideas?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought i may have done that two have checked it several times to make sure thats not it
i'd check or rather replace all vacuum lines. Look for holes in intake ducting. But first check oil for coolant, coolant for oil. And pressure test cylinders; it is a 3.0.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Sounds like spark timing, did you put a jumper in the diagnostic port when you timed it?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cryerp
Sounds like spark timing, did you put a jumper in the diagnostic port when you timed it?
Didnt have one to use
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 AM

Didnt have one to use
Assuming it's the 3vze, when adjusting spark timing you need to jump TE1 and E1 with a paper clip or something, should be set to around 10 or 12 degrees BTDC
but if you didn't losen the adjustment bolt on the distributor then that might not be the problem
but it would be good to check just to rule it out