86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i killed the truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i killed the truck

My girl drove the truck home and it was empty. I put 5 gallons of gas that had been in my garage (w/stabil added) for a couple of months in my girl's 4runner. It wouldn't start. I added another 5 gallons of fresh gas and some B-12 fuel treatment. Still won't start. I feel like an idiot. Before I go and drain the tank and fill it up again in hopes of a miracle I was hopping for some advice or direction to guide me.

i killed the truck-font-side-copy.jpg
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM

When you say it was empty, like almost dry? When older tanks are run that low, lots of time they suck sediment into the fuel lines or pump.

Do you have gas at the motor? If not, is the pump running, and when was the last time the filter was changed.

Just some things to look at. If it hasn't ran with the bad gas in it, it's unlikley you caused any serious damage.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Try the fuel filter.

i have had very bad luck with the gas stabilizer it was the only vehicle I put it in .

That I ended up pulling the pump and filter

All the others I never used it no real problems getting running after a few months or years.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM

it wasn't bone dry when i added the fuel. and the filter and the pump are pretty new (a little over a year old) I replaced them when the old fuel pump died. This one is still working.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Do you have Fuel at the Motor? You May have just flooded it on the bad gas, maybe crank it with the plugs disconnected, or the fuel pump fuse pulled. That'll help clear it out a bit.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM

find the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if it squirts gas. hit the key and listen for the sound of the fuel pump. Check for clicking fuel pump relay. Then take off the air intake and squirt some carb clean in the t body and see if it fires. Then get a test light to see if your gettin power to the pump.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM

well, niall was right. Just flooded it on the bad gas. Or just flooded it period. Either way she's running again and my fears of having to replace injectors or filters are gone. Thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave the welder
find the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if it squirts gas.
I've never seen (or heard of) a Toyota truck with a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Of course, I haven't seen every truck, so Dave may know something I don't.

Originally Posted by Dave the welder
hit the key and listen for the sound of the fuel pump.
With the key to "ON" the fuel pump should NOT be running. With the key to "START" the fuel pump will run, but I sure can't hear it over the sound of the starter.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
I've never seen (or heard of) a Toyota truck with a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Of course, I haven't seen every truck, so Dave may know something I don't.

Your right it not really a schrader valve but its kind of like one where you hook up a pressure guage. If you press on the little needle gas will squirt out if theres pressure.

With the key to "ON" the fuel pump should NOT be running. With the key to "START" the fuel pump will run, but I sure can't hear it over the sound of the starter.
Now that i think about it your right again well kind of. If there is no fuel in the cold start injector wouldnt the pump have to run to prime the system? I have never had a issue with a toyota not starting but have had MANY issues with gm products and if you don't hear the pump for a couple seconds with the key "on" then thats a sign something is wrong.

My post was general field diagnosis and should have been more toyota realted.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
On Toyota trucks, the Circuit Opening Relay (COR) turns the fuel pump OFF as soon as the engine stops sucking air through the VAF. If you get in an accident that breaks a fuel line, you don't want the pump running!

The COR will run the pump with the key in the START position, then the VAF signal takes over.

There is a check valve in the pump to hold pressure in the fuel rail with the pump off. If my truck sits for a week or so, that pressure will drop far enough that I have to crank it for a second or two to re-pressurize the rail. (There's no air in that line, so it isn't a matter of "priming" the line.)

I don't know anything about GM vehicles since the days of mechanical pumps, but I suppose that it's possible that some will run the pump (just for a few seconds) with the key to "ON" to re-pressurize the fuel rail. So you might be able hit the key and listen for the pump, but I don't know.

General field diagnosis is good, but telling somebody to "listen for the pump" when the pump is SUPPOSED to not be running may not be helpful.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jumper the fuel pump. FP and B+, I believe, in the diagnostics. Best check that one in the service manual.