86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to fit 35's on a stock 3rd Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fit 35's on a stock 3rd Gen...

How does someone fit 35's onto a stock 3rd Gen Toyota? All I did was bolt them on 35x10.5's fit with very minor rubbing. I haven't even trimmed anything yet, just minor hammer pounding the pinch weld in the front fenders.

Not much tech but they sure look cool, IMO.

Stats:
Tires: 35x10.5 Interco SSR's
Wheels: Stock Toyota SR5 Alloys
Suspension: Stock
Shocks: Crappy Ranchos
Other Mods: NONE.

Just to show that 35's do fit.....

The rear fenders could use a slight trim job but this truck isn't a show queen and light rubbin' won't bother me.

Here you can see the stance...

Track width is about the same as with 31x10.5's...

They do buldge out of the fenders a bit more than my old 33x10.5's but it's fine by me.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

wow... thats alot of tire under that truck
Old 12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good. How are those tires in the snow? My buddy just moved to Bend a from WI a few months ago and loves it.

:EDIT: Are you running 4.88's?

Last edited by BAZ; 12-18-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

i didn't know 35s come in the 10.5" variety.

yeah it's not the 35"ness that'll get you, it's the 12.50" width that will.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by calrockx

yeah it's not the 35"ness that'll get you, it's the 12.50" width that will.
I was wondering how he did fit 35's on a 7" rim

James
Old 12-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Wow, that sure does fill up them fender wells.....Looks mean though
Old 12-18-2005, 03:55 PM

It's not something I would do, but to each his own. Without some lift you have effectively reduced your range of motion which in most cases on the trail equates to less obstacles you can over come. But whatever -- you build it how you wanna. Any plans for addiing some lift?

Ed
Old 12-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BAZ
:EDIT: Are you running 4.88's?

Nope. Just the stock 4.56's. It works okay. Next summer when the SAS takes place I'll swap in 4.88's to get the powerband back to where it should be. I still use all the gears like normal, adding the 35's I've only noticed a slight drop in rpms at certain speeds.

Originally Posted by calrockx
Here in the US there are not many to pick from. Other countries more options when it comes to 34x10.5's, 35x10.5's sizes. I had to wait until my 33's went into the trash before my wife would allow the 35's.

Only thing about the SSR's are that they measure out true to their stated size. On the truck(loaded) these are about a mm below a full 35" in height. Quite tall.

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
It's not something I would do, but to each his own. Without some lift you have effectively reduced your range of motion which in most cases on the trail equates to less obstacles you can over come. But whatever -- you build it how you wanna. Any plans for addiing some lift?

Ed

How have I reduced my range of motion? Stock IFS is still weak when it comes to flex. I have the same amount of wheel travel as I did with 33's or 31's for that matter. Why run 33's when I can run 35's without issues? I have much more ground clearance than with 33's plus it sits nice and low.

I'll never add a IFS lift, just no point. SAS is next summer but even with the SAS in place it'll still be a low rider. I hate tall lifts. Keep it low, put on big tires and add the correct gearing and the truck will go anywhere.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:02 PM

It looks like your upward wheel travel is obstructed by the size of the tire. No?

Ed
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Toyofast
I'll never add a IFS lift, just no point. I hate tall lifts. Keep it low, put on big tires and add the correct gearing and the truck will go anywhere.
Amen. I might have to use that as my new signature.

My lowrider on 32"s, with dual cases, spooled rear, and basically stock IFS can out-wheel a lot of other more built rigs. (Plus I don't really care too much about body damage. That makes the hard trails a lot easier ).
Old 12-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Those are great pictures of tires that don't really fit. I'm amazed that you can turn at all, even the slightest bump while turning must rub something fierce. If you are happy with that little clearance then I can't imagine why you think you need a SAS.

Interesting about the SSRs actually being the stated size. I've known 2 sets of SSRs and one set of TSL radials and all three were a full size smaller than nominal! I thought it was just a Swamper trait...
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM

i'd still go with a one inch body lift on that bad boy, but nice job
Old 12-18-2005, 07:36 PM

MOre like 3".

But I agree, it does look pretty cool.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
It looks like your upward wheel travel is obstructed by the size of the tire. No?

Ed

No. The pictures are not the best. Even with the front suspension compressed as much as it was in the pictures, I was able to turn the wheel fully in each direction. Sure the tire touched but it's slight enough that no damge will be caused to the tire or fender(s). The amount of rubbing would be gone if I had an extra 1/2" of room, if that.

Once our small winter storm passes I'll be taking care of the fenders. Light amount of trimming and will chop out the section of firewall that is rubbing and move it back about 1-2".

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Those are great pictures of tires that don't really fit. I'm amazed that you can turn at all, even the slightest bump while turning must rub something fierce. If you are happy with that little clearance then I can't imagine why you think you need a SAS.

The main reason to do the SAS is for added strength. The Toyota IFS is weak, plain and simple. Who in their right mind would want to work on that front end? All those moving parts, so many things to go wrong.

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Interesting about the SSRs actually being the stated size. I've known 2 sets of SSRs and one set of TSL radials and all three were a full size smaller than nominal! I thought it was just a Swamper trait...

I have owned a few sets of swampers, TSL(bias), radials, and SSR's. The only swampers that were off in measurement vs. actual height was the radials. Stated as 33's but really about 31.5" tall. My old 34x9.5's were really close to 34" tall, my 33x12.5's were nice and close to 33". Only tire I was disapointed with were my 35" BFG Muds...which were came up to about 34" tall.

The best part about adding these 35's to the stock truck is that now my wife is happy. Even with the 33's on the truck she thought that it looked odd and was always asking when I'd put bigger tires onto it. She likes the look of fenderwells that are filled. She was used to our old Toyota which was pure trail rig rather than a DD. She even asked when here truck would get bigger tires, that's another project all together
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 AM

Ah, all the tires I mentioned were indeed radials. I will never own another bias ply tire. (famous last words... )

At least you got the important part covered! (The wife is happy... )
Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I've always seen that tire manufactures have a tendency to manufacture the tall, narrower tires to closer spec in height than the wider, tall tires.

The truck looks good...if you are doing an SAS in the future a 1" BL might not be a bad idea to put on now, give you a little more clearance and it will be nice to have if you plan on a low slung SAS (3-4"), keeps your COG lower with all the drivetrain not raised just the body and it will give you more tire options after the SAS and be able to mount longer shocks, etc.

cool to see you step out of the box and just throw 35s on a stock Toy.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I now have a new thing to do on my mod list... 35x10.5's. mmm.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Little off topic here, but why did my pro comp 4" lift kit say 33 is the biggest tire I can run? I've thought about running 35's before, and if you can do it with no lift, why is this a problem with my lift?

Last edited by 86toyota; 12-19-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

looks pretty sweet. Now you need a locker and some more articulation to make use of those tires. I bet they're going to rub like a bitch those if you make that thing flexier and use low pro bump stops

Last edited by Silver_Truck; 12-19-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 86toyota
Little off topic here, but why did my pro comp 4" lift kit say 33 is the biggest tire I can run? I've thought about running 35's before, and if you can do it with no lift, why is this a problem with the my lift?
Liability issues maybe... Or the fact that most tires in the 33" range are 12.5 in width. Plus most lift manufactures tell you what you can run without having to trim any sheet metal. If you have no fear of trimming some metal then you can fit what ever sized tire you want.

Narrower tires fit easier due to the scrub radius when turning. Less tire to get hung up on things.

Quick Reply: How to fit 35's on a stock 3rd Gen...