Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he's saying that if you have a factory alarm with the toyota security thing on the dash then you have remote lock capability.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsleggett
Sweet! I was hoping I could track down a keyless entry module for my '94. I bought it new and never had a fob so I know it didn't come with it but it sounds like there is a module available that works for the second gen. Now I just need to track one down. Thanks so much.
i'm going to stray off topic a little...

todays alarm and unlock assist systems have a ton of features, including:
remote start
door popper
trunk/hood/sunroof popper/opener
alarm (gay, no need)
light flash/lights on/off
remote STOP (cool)
and accesorries, which you can wire however you like.

then add BLUETOOTH, and you don't need keys at all. i'm quite interested in the bluetooth options myself, as i always have a phone with me, and keys are, well, annoying. were the system to pop the drivers door as i walk up, start my truck, that would be cool.

i'm not a 100%-tech-or-nothing kinda person though. i still really like using the key to unlock, start, etc from a simplicity standpoint. watching someone leave their cadillac and set off an alarm only to find they've never figured out how to disarm it is fantastic entertainment ;-)

there... so, check your options. the stock systems are fine, but make sure you don't opt for the starter INTERUPT, it's quite annoying if you ever have a problem with it. ;-)

good luck ! (subscribed)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to get a factory keyless entry module for my 1993 pickup. I'd like to have information on wiring and module interchangeability between models. from what I understand, keyless entry was available on 4Runners but not on pickups before 1994? I'm wondering if this was available as a dealer installed option like the glass breakeage sensor? Are vehicles with power locks already wired for it?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 PM

would this be the correct FOB for a 93 toyota 4runner with factory keyless entry/alarm?. it say it's a one button.would i need a two button ?.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota-K...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Anyone ever figure out where the programming button is on the receiver unit?
No part numbers for Toyota FOB??
More details please...revive this thread
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by loko ino
Anyone ever figure out where the programming button is on the receiver unit?
No part numbers for Toyota FOB??
More details please...revive this thread
mine control box was under the rear of drivers seat .was easy to program FOB to truck. the FOB now works the doors and alarm. you can control the horn with switch on dash so its silent when the doors are locked/unlocked with FOB.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pperry71
mine control box was under the rear of drivers seat .was easy to program FOB to truck. the FOB now works the doors and alarm. you can control the horn with switch on dash so its silent when the doors are locked/unlocked with FOB.
How did you do the programming? I don't see an ECU program button that they tell you to hold down for 3-5 secs...
What FOB did you get?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM

I bought this remote off ebay. the program instructions came with it. dont remember what all i did but i still have the instructions if you need me to look. was $16.50 free shipping, well worth it. check the sellers store or ask him if you dont see it listed.

93 4runner FOB - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota-K...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 AM

I bought this remote off ebay. the program instructions came with it. dont remember what all i did but i still have the instructions if you need me to look. was $16.50 free shipping, well worth it. check the sellers store or ask him if you dont see it listed.

93 4runner FOB - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toyota-K...sories&vxp=mtr
Ok, good, that is the one I am gonna get. I finally found the little pin hole you are suppose to push in to set this while up on the receiver box under my seat.
Thanks man!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 AM

cool, hope it works out for ya. mine was programed in just a few minutes and has been working great.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 PM

pperry71,

I ordered that same remote off ebay from keylessride and programmed it with no problem. The only thing I want to do is turn off the damn annoying horn honking when I lock/unlock the doors. Where is the horn switch on the dash that you speak of? I have a 95 4runner with the factory security system in it.
Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 AM

the horn drove me nuts when i first herd that. on my 93 it's left of the steering wheel . push right for valet and left for horn silent. with turning the ignition on/off with the switch to set it. you have a owners manual ?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 AM

I don't have an owners manual for the alarm. I don't think I'm understanding what you're saying. I'm not exactly sure what or where the switch is still. Usually I can figure this stuff out but I'm obviously missing something. What does the switch look like and where exactly is it?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 AM

your 95 may be different. my switch is left side of the dash in plain view. has valet mode and horn defeat mode. might want to ask another 95 owner
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 AM

I think your right. I don't have any switch. All I have is just a little security light. Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 AM

do you know where your valet switch is ?.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 AM

Not sure unless it's the black box under the driver's seat that is used to program the FOB. Or is it somewhere else? What color is the valet switch?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:47 AM

Is the valet switch where you disable the horn chirp?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Is the valet switch where you disable the horn chirp?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 AM

a valet switch is usualy easy to get to. since it called valet it's ment to disarm alarm when you take the car for service and such. might be under the dash area. some sort of toggle switch. my valet does both alarm and silent horn. still not sure on yours . to activate/deactivate the valet switch , you have to turn the key to on position and hit the switch , then turn off key.

Quick Reply: How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry