Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry

I have a 93 4Runner SR5 with power locks/windows and all the options. I don't have a keyless entry remote, and I'm trying to figure out if it has a keyless entry system. Is there something I can look for to ensure my 4Runner has a keyless entry system? It does have a small red light to the left of the steering wheel, and a speaker under the hood, which means it probably has an alarm system.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine has an alarm system...and if it is ARMED...and you have the hood up (and the doors shut)...and you shut the hood..the doors WILL lock...leaving your keys inside......ask me how i know...

i know mine has an alarm on it..but i'm not sure on how to control it..it will likely be ripped out and i will put in a different alarm..with keyless entry and remote start just for kicks and giggles..LMFAO
Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lmao ^^^ how do you know camo?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 AM

can anyone help me with this?
there is a small brown box above the pedals but no black box under the seat like some entry systems have
can someone with a 2nd gen truck/runner with keyless entry look under your seat and for the brown box above the pedals?
thanks in advance
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

i have a 93 sr5 similarly equipped but no box under the dash or seat. might want to run your vin past the stealer and see what they can tell you.

lee
Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Does Anyone Know How To Tell????

Da Bump...

Someone has to know how to tell! Mine too has an alarm...I know because it went off the other day when I was recharging the battery. There is a very small metal toggle switch besides the hood latch that controls the alarm.

Our question however, is how to tell if our vehicle is equiped with remote control capability. I bought mine and all I got with it was a key...no remote. I see programmable remotes on E-Bay and want to buy one but I don't know if it will work...surely there has got to be a way to tell.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM

mine has the same switch 94lift...it's probably just the toyota factory alarm..i know if mine is armed..you can bang on the truck all you want and it wont go off..you can shake it and everything..and still it won't go off..

my buddy just got an alarm system and remote start put on his '06 dodge, and it is AWESOME!!!! if you just barely even hit the truck..it will start freaking out LMAO!!

it was only $375 for the whole thing..so i'm going to get that system put on the 4runner

might be kinda tricky to rig up the remote start though?? since it's a 5speed..the clutch has to be depressed..or the cancel switch has to be pushed lol..i'm sure they can figure it out though
The following users liked this post:
Haynes80 (08-16-2022)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM

My silverado does not have a alrm horn but it has a factory alarm it uses the horn. So in my 92 4runner does not have a alarm siren, and I want to know if I can get a remote to lock and unlock my doors. And I seen then on eBay like 94lift and how do I tell if I can get a remote?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Seems to me like there are more than a few interested in a seemingly simple question...or is it?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM

That's an aftermarket system. The factory system used the horn, we had one on our 94.

There will be a black box under the drivers side seat with 1 or 2 (I forget) white, flat-head screwdriver adjustment switches on it. Alarm sensitivity, horn beep on lock, etc.

Also, the factory glass breakage sensor will be in one of the vertical knockouts to the left of the steering wheel. Black, red light on top, little small speaker looking thing on the bottom, says Toyota Security in white letters in between.

Factory systems use a microphone for the GBS. Apparently breaking glass has a very specific harmonic resonance. I've installed a factory system, and they have you test it by rapping on the window with a metal object (the key, actually).
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Our queery is NOT about the frigging alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (though thanks for the valuable side-bar info)

We are asking how we can know if our vehicals are equipped with a remote control fob or not. Is there a way to tell if our 2nd gen 4runners can be opened/closed with a FOB (remote)

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

well your 4runner won't open or close with any stock remote without some extensive customization...they will however lock and unlock with minimal customization LOL

i don't think they have the remote from the factory..but an alarm place could EASILY put on it..lol
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM

So, if I'm reading what you tried to say correctly, no key remotes (FOBs) were offered on the second gen vehicles...correct?

I am very much aware that either myself or an alarm shop could install an aftermarket system. Our point here is why bother if a keyless system is installed already...just buy a FOB, program it, and be done.

Last edited by 94Lift; 01-04-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM

well now IDK about that part..it might have been an option..i'm not sure..i've just never seen one..or heard of a person talkin about one..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 94Lift

Our queery is NOT about the frigging alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (though thanks for the valuable side-bar info)

We are asking how we can know if our vehicals are equipped with a remote control fob or not. Is there a way to tell if our 2nd gen 4runners can be opened/closed with a FOB (remote)

Well, whydidnjasayso? (kidding)

The factory system I described came with a single button remote (2 of them). One press to lock/unlock, hold down for panic. I just checked eBay and didn't see one. The hardest part may be tracking down a remote.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by stock87
Well, whydidnjasayso? (kidding)

The factory system I described came with a single button remote (2 of them). One press to lock/unlock, hold down for panic. I just checked eBay and didn't see one. The hardest part may be tracking down a remote.

OK, now we're getting somewhere...There IS a factory FOB to open/close and work the factory alarm. I'm going to call Toyota and see what I can find out.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

OK, good update!

I called the Toyo dealer in Harrison, Ar and spoke with Danny in the parts department 870-741-5451. He was able to look up my Vin and discovered it did come with an alarm and FOB. He verified my ownership of the vehicle and stated he had the FOB in stock for $23! I could not believe it...he also stated he could have me a factory key made for an additional $6. The key I received with the vehicle is sticking in every lock and does not operate the rear window...hope this fixes it; for $6 it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps other 2nd gen owners in the same boat; I'll be sure to update when I receive the new FOB and key in a couple of days.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

I know that you don't care about the alarm I don't eather I want the fob too. I was saying that so you would know that to have the fob is not the alarm. Lol. But thanks 94lift for getting that info that will help me out a lot. So all you give him is your vin and he will send you a fob and key already programed to your truck? So he has you key and address, lol lol?

Last edited by Jerbou71; 01-05-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jerbou71
I know that you don't care about the alarm I don't eather I want the fob too. I was saying that so you would know that to have the fob is not the alarm. Lol. But thanks 94lift for getting that info that will help me out a lot. So all you give him is your vin and he will send you a fob and key already programed to your truck? So he has you key and address, lol lol?
Never thought about that...better keep the battery out and my guns loaded.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Got the remote and new key in...

The key fixed my "rear window not working from the key problem" and sticking door locks!!! Best 6 bucks I could of spent. It saved me from buying a complete new lock & ignition set for $100. I was amazed to see how far off my replacement key, someone had made was; not even close...copying a worn out key doesn't make a lot of sense, no wonder it was sticking. Now I'm going to take this master key and have replacements made so I'll always have the original.

Now about the FOB...it is NOT designed to operate the doors, just the alarm system...it has one button. I still need to program it (came with fairly simple DIY instructions). So, so much for the factory keyless entry question: $23...SOLVED!

Quick Reply: How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry