86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94Lift
Now about the FOB...it is NOT designed to operate the doors, just the alarm system...
So the FOB doesn't lock/unlock the doors? I was getting a little excited..
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Now about the FOB...it is NOT designed to operate the doors, just the alarm system...it has one button. I still need to program it (came with fairly simple DIY instructions). So, so much for the factory keyless entry question: $23...SOLVED![/quote]

"..So the FOB doesn't lock/unlock the doors? I was getting a" HUGE excited. Because i see on Ebay here is about $ 25 with "lock/unlocked" capability. 94lift, please update the FOB.

Also, there is one guy selling at Ebay the OEM like the one you have for $55 something.

Last edited by 4runnerkucool; 01-08-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM

OK all, I'm going out to freeze my nads off for the good of the forum...going to try and program it now and see exactly what the FOB does...I'm thinking it's alarm only but we'll soon see.

Wish me and my nads well.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM

OK all, I'm going out to freeze my nads off for the good of the forum...going to try and program it now and see exactly what the FOB does...I'm thinking it's alarm only but we'll soon see.

Wish me and my nads well.
Indeed, wish u million luck...and this will make you warmer
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Well......................the verdict's in and for once I can say how happy I am to be totally WRONG!

The simple programming process now allows me control of my alarm system as well as KEYLESS ENTRY ON ALL DOORS! Whohoo!

I now have to figure out how to program the horn to sound when the alarm activates...I think another call to the dealer is in order unless someone happens to have the owners manual detailing the process.

Cheers!

Edit: My nads survived, somewhat smaller, but intact.

Last edited by 94Lift; 01-08-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Thumbs up

Sweet! I was hoping I could track down a keyless entry module for my '94. I bought it new and never had a fob so I know it didn't come with it but it sounds like there is a module available that works for the second gen. Now I just need to track one down. Thanks so much.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Check out the vehicle parting out section...I bet you can find one there. Additionally, you can post a want ad in the WTB section (both are in the Toyotech Marketplace...this site rocks!).

Good Luck, keyless entry and a working alarm is sweeeet!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 AM

Check out the vehicle parting out section...I bet you can find one there. Additionally, you can post a want ad in the WTB section (both are in the Toyotech Marketplace...this site rocks!).

Good Luck, keyless entry and a working alarm is sweeeet!
Do you have a part number for the fob? I bet there are a lot of interested parties here.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM

keyless entry

I had Boulder Toyota run my VIN, no luck. You need to have the security system installed. I guess it was an option. Mine does not have it therefor no keyless controller. The parts guy quoted me "about $500" for everything, controller, wiring harness, door contacts, glass break sensor etc. He said, "go to CAR Toys (stereo/alarm installer), it will be cheaper." I'm going to search salvage yards, etc. He did give me a part number for the control module, I'll post it later when I find it again, I googled the number w/o any luck, it might be wrong.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by chriskatana
Do you have a part number for the fob? I bet there are a lot of interested parties here.
Thanks,
Chris
I could call Toyota, find out and post it but I would imagine it is better to call Toyota to find out if one's vehicle is equipped with the feature first, otherwise you're just buying a worthless piece of plastic.

The alarm works pretty good...I adjusted the sensitivity up and locked the vehicle. The next day my 4 y/o son kicked an icicle off the bumper and set it off...scared the crap out of him.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Keyless Ride Outlet

Another solution: On ebay came across the keyless remotes from "KeylessRide Outlet store". Had it shipped to my door for $22. Didnt know if I had the factory alarm but you cant be a pu$$y your whole life, paypal does refunds - just like being able to lock and unlock from a remote. The remote is better than the stock ones i've come across made decades ago. These are slim-line, water-resistant, and carry a 6 month warranty. Did'nt bother looking at the programming instructions either because they have a support number. Pulled it out of the box, called support for a walkthrough, and less than a minute later heard the locks playing to the buttons. Fu^!ng magnificant man. *****'s

I second Danny in the parts department too <870-741-5451>. Thanks for the origionals.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 AM

A keyless remote does nothing if you don't have the module in the vehicle to receive the signal and unlock the doors. So I found a module (plus one remote) for $40 in a wrecked 96 at a salvage yard. Shouldn't require too much modification to make it work in the 94. Problem solved. PS: Boulder Toyota quoted me $100/keyless module plus $50 to program, who are they kidding?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM

Do you still have the part number or any pics?

Any pictures of the install? A visual of where and how these are rigged is interesting. GBS seperate?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 AM

The module is coming via mail. When I receive it and get around to installing it I'll shoot a couple photos. I do have the part number, I'll post it later today when I get to my office.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM

RS3000 Part Number

My original search for this part number (08585-00921) didn't return anything because I didn't have the dash (-) in the middle. So this appears to be the base security system used in several models of Toyotas.

Per this site: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...nits-the-same/

"The base kit contains the rs3000 ecu, 2 remote control transmitters (08191-0071), a glass break sensor ecu (08192-00970), owners guide, insurance information form and warning labels. The fitting kit contains the rs3000 wire harness for a RAV4, RS3000 Status Monitor (08192-0090), Piezo Chirper (08192-12920) and installation hardware."

Apparently there are "fit kits" for each model. Not sure exactly how easy it will be to make the 96 unit fit my 94 but it's worth a try to solve a little problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Stock alarm config

It will be interesting to see how you get that to work. Maybe boulder will still accept the $50 to program Cant wait to see the pictures.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would imagine it is better to call Toyota to find out if one's vehicle is equipped with the feature first
So do you have any idea where the receiver for the remote is located? I would love to have keyless entry, I have had my 95 for almost 8 years and never gave it a thought. It has most of the other optional features. I might just give Toyota a call!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I could call Toyota, find out and post it but I would imagine it is better to call Toyota to find out if one's vehicle is equipped with the feature first, otherwise you're just buying a worthless piece of plastic.

The alarm works pretty good...I adjusted the sensitivity up and locked the vehicle. The next day my 4 y/o son kicked an icicle off the bumper and set it off...scared the crap out of him.

hey man , can you post a picture of the remote that was sent to you from the dealer .

also how about posting a scan or pic of the programming instructions for the remote.

i may be able to find the remote and come to this thread for programming instructions ..
Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Per "Body Electrical System-Power Door Lock Control System" (page 78) it shows the door lock control relay on firewall under driver's side dash. I imagine this relay has the transmitter receiver inside of it, or doesn't if it lacks that capability. On my Jetta I just unplugged one module (which controlled alalrm, door locks, trunk lock) and plugged in a newer module (same things plus receiver for fob transmitter). I'll see if I can tear into it this week.

I did order the keyless remote that BeenYota mentioned, who knows maybe all relays have remote capability. If not, I'll have another remote to use with the module from the 96 when it arrives.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM

OK, I received the new remote from KeylessRide, it has great, detailed programming instructions. It says, "This guide describes the procedures that are used to program the two-button remote control for vehicles that are equipped with the RS3000 dealer or port installed option (PIO), not the factory security system..."

Step 2 of instructions is to "hold the receiver programming button for 3 seconds..." (receiver "located either under driver or passenger seat...or behind driver's dash...") Upon quick inspection I found a brown module about the size of a pack of cigarettes above my clutch pedal, without any sort of "programming button" on it. When I have more time I will remove this module and verify that it controls door locks and check the part number to verify that it does NOT have remote capability. Then I should be able to find the right part or make it work with the 96 module that should be on its way soon.

Quick Reply: How to determine if 2nd gen 4Runner has keyless entry