Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hissing from AFM & REALLY low idle when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hissing from AFM & REALLY low idle when warm.

Okay, I have posted about both of these issues separately before, but upon recently finding a 3VZE FSM, I now believe the issues to be one and the same... the AFM causing the wierd idle issue when warm. You can't even jack the idle back up with the idle adjustment valve/screw.

So yea the noise I'm getting is almost similar to the sound I was getting when my waterpump was gone (replaced), but with more of a hiss to it and I am 100% sure it's in my air box, only thing I can think that could cause that in there is the AFM? I have a K&N high-flow, and I'm really hoping thats not the cause of my issue. As for the idle.. after my runner warms up the idle drops down to around <600rpm, a quick band-aid that seemed to have solved that was advancing my timing and playing with the idle adjustment (causing me to run at 1100rpm after it kicks down) and now the idle adjustment won't alow me to get back down to a healthy 750-800rpm.

If anyone has had this problem, how did you go about fixing it? Can I just clean my afm? or do you think it might be shot? If it is shot.. anyone got an airbox from a dead 3vze that they are willing to part with CHEAP?

Thanks.

*edit* i haven't cracked open my airbox to check the afm yet.. (or clean it)simply cause i thought the issue was caused back in feb when i got the hg recall done and i have an appointment with the stealer tomorrow for them to look at it.. and fix the exhaust leak in the crossover (which wasnt there before the hg recall).

Last edited by green91runner; 06-09-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:25 AM

*bump* for the mid-day crowd. anyone?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hissing noise aye?

Have you done an ISR (intake silencer removal) mod or put in KN's FIPK (fuel injection power kit)? Both of those will amplify the wierd visceral sounds your engine makes....you can hear the rings sliding on the cylinder walls on my engine with ease at idle....its like a light metal on metal hiss. Been there ever since I put the FIPK on well over 80k miles ago..
Old 06-11-2005, 07:06 PM

nope.. stock airbox and pipe, only thing i've done to it is a drop in k&n..
Old 06-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check to see if your PCV valve hose is cracked or damaged.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM

Stock Filter

Green91, Have you tried dropping the stock filter back in to see if that may be the problem...? I had that problem with the K&N filter, I found the only way to solve the problem with the K&N is to turn up the stereo to overcome the hiss.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM

ironmike, will definetely check that, i took a quick look and didn't see any loose hoses didn't think to check for damage (wasn't anything too visible, or i should of seen it). have to wait till friday/saturday before i can though. *waits impatiently*

another thing, since you mentioned the PCV, i haven't changed it? could this cause this issue? thx.

rbmc, i know the sound you are talking about, an intake hiss.. thats not the noise im hearing.. this noise is up in the actual intake, no difference with no filter, stock filter or the k&n filter, if it were the noise you are talking about, were i to rev it up, the noise would get louder, where in my case it gets drowned out. thanks though
Old 06-13-2005, 05:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Definately sounds like a vacuum leak. Purchase a can of carb cleaner that is oxygen sensor safe. With the motor running, spray the hell out of all intake hose connections, all vacuum lines, and intake manifold or anywhere you think or hear the vacuum leak comming from. When you have a change in idle speed, you found your problem area(s).
Old 06-15-2005, 12:00 AM

yea, i was hoping it to be a vacuum leak too.. maybe toyota will fix it for me.. lol, could save a headache.

can't wait till i get it back.. been no customary calls jacking up the bill yet.. so.. *crosses my fingers*

Last edited by green91runner; 06-15-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 AM

I knew i'd jynx it... they call me this morning...

-'you have no exhaust leak, appears that you have a 4cylinder muffler on your vehicle and the seal around your steering column is torn.'
what... that still has nothing to do with the fact that i HEAR how much louder my exhaust is when i roll down my window (in comparison before they did the work), and im not talking about the noise that comes out of the end of the tailpipe... and i have a muffler shop that says they can hear the noise coming out of the crossover...

-'your lower balljoints appear to have some play'
what.. ? i want you guys to look at my engine, not my brand-new lifetime, greaseable balljoints... also, since your down there, why didn't you comment on the fact that I have no swaybar end-links?

-'your pinging/timing issues appear to be related to your throttle position sensor, that will be $80-120 to recalibrate that, can't fix your timing unless we fix that'
again.. i'm thinking he's full of crap, but I don't know for sure? if any of you could chime in that would be great. (oh, and was there anything to do with the TPS in the HG recall? i know, grasping for straws.. lol)

so want to right now.. just when i thought I had smooth sailing.

Last edited by green91runner; 06-15-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM

If I start to adjust my idle air adjustment screw to increase the idle speed, at a certain point of screwing it out, it will start to emit a hissing type sound from the MAF. My idle on a warm restart is low, around 500-600 rpm but will settle back up to 700 in a minute or 2. Sounds like you have your idle air screw out too far to increase the idle. But the real problem of the low idle could be the coolant temp sensor not giving the right temp range to the computer or your TPS going bad or being out of adjustment(they will wear out). You should play around with the TPS, put the idle air screw back in to get rid of the hiss and put your timing back to normal. It could be 1 problem(TPS) that you've snowballed into something bigger.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:59 PM

well, i played with the idle screw, the hissing did become quieter as i screwed it in, but didn't go completely away, only thing is.. it put my idle at 500, waiting didnt bring it back up... waiting till there is light tomorrow (and less mosquitos) and i'll check the readings on the tps, as stated on roger brown's site.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 PM

ok, i tweaked my TPS (and i believe it to be right now.. ) I then screwed my idle screw way in, and the idle dropped, i revved it up to 2500 for a bit and let it go back to idle.. it hit the magic number '800'.. i went for a 10 min drive.. was down to 600 by the end of it, i couldn't get it back up to 800 without the excessive hissing.

currently when the truck warms right up, the idle drops down to 400.. I have tried tweaking it back to 800, only to get my dreaded hissing.

any ideas?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:30 AM

My 3vze hisses like crazy man. It's normal. When you open up the intake you can hear it much easier. Also, if you are working on the engine with the hood open, standing if front of your truck, then yeah it gets crazy loud and you wonder if something is broken.

Just relax, I don't think anything is wrong.

BTW, what is with the FSM and people saying that you have to idle at 800 RPM. My truck idles at "0" RPM according to the tach (not accurate, obviously). It does this because of all my mods. But what the heck is all the hooplah with getting it to idle at 800? Why so high?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:40 AM

well 800 is whats stuck under my hood.. and i can get it to idle like that with absolutely no hissing, but then as it warms up it drops...

i think your tach is broken but yea, im fine with it as low as 600.. but when its idling at 400.. (and i cant get it to STAY up) then something HAS to be wrong.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:50 AM

Does it still pull hard? If it does, then what is wrong?? If my motor idles at "0" and still pulls hard and runs very well at all RPMs, then what is so wrong with it because it idles low?? I say you are putting too much importance on your idle speed. I don't think the idle speed is a good gauge to how well your motor is running.

Ever heard a big v8 with a really lumpy cam in it? Sounds like it's going to just die sometimes (and sometimes they do when cold). So why don't they just make it idle at 1200 RPM?? Because they don't have to, and it sounds cool to have it idle at just above stall speed!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 AM

My 88 4Runner 3.0 will idle around 500 rpm's on a warm restart. It will eventually work it's way back to around 650-700 rpm's so it hasn't caused me any stalling problems yet.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Having the same issue with the idle dropping after the truck warms up...its dropping drastically enough to cause the truck to stall if I don't keep my foot on the gas (<100 rpms). Green91, you have any luck yet resolving the problem?