Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hi from Oregon

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi from Oregon

Ive got me a nice 88 toyota 4x4 pickupigot last week.it has 255k on the body and 37k on a rebuilt 22re engine. i dont know much bout yotas and im tryin to teach myself bout cars and trucks and could really use some help. i want to beef this up to play in mudd but also have it as a daily driver for now. would also like to paint it but no idea wha color its got a straight body didnt get rough housed with and i love it so far. the only thing is its kinda small im 6 5 but still love this truck. The engine just started making a ticking noise and idk what it is my speedomiter also bounces and ticks.
Name:  DSCN5031_zps76301df1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  103.3 KB
Name:  DSCN5033_zps1c8fc8b6.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  DSCN5035_zpsb7557a40.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  95.1 KB
Name:  DSCN5047_zps40484a86.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  118.7 KB
Name:  DSCN5050_zps8c378a55.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  103.9 KB
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Welcome to Yotatech, fellow West Coaster!

Straight body panels.....good to go.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shoua
Welcome to Yotatech, fellow West Coaster!

Straight body panels.....good to go.
hows it goin? do you know what would cause the ticking in my engine? im thinkin valves need to be adjusted but not for sure
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcom abord
Nice clean truck you got there. What sort of beefing up do you want to do? Trail boss? DD/part time wheeler?or mall crawler? For trail and part time wheeler suspension is the last thing you do. Start with armor skids sliders bumpes. Then lockers rear for sure front optional. Gears and lockers time out well together if you plan on running larger tires in the near future. You should be able to get a large 31" tire under there with minimal-rubbing up to 33's with either BJ spacers and or T-bar crank and shackles in the rear or Zuk mod. It all depends on budget.
The best thing you can do in the short term is learn to use the search function if you can't find it with the site search engine then go to google and search there with yotatech in the search parameters. I can almost always find stuff now. Look the newbie tech section at the stickies. And most of the stickes that apply to your truck. They will answer most of you questions. As the one you just asked regarding beefing it up has asked more time than most any other question here. Once again welcome and keep us posted on your truck. When you do start to build her up you might want to start a build thread and share you progress with the rest of us as well.

Regarding the tick most older 22re's have a light tick. If it is loud you should check your timing chain just search timing chain check and you should be able to find it

Last edited by thefishguy77; 03-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Welcom abord
Nice clean truck you got there. What sort of beefing up do you want to do? Trail boss? DD/part time wheeler?or mall crawler? For trail and part time wheeler suspension is the last thing you do. Start with armor skids sliders bumpes. Then lockers rear for sure front optional. Gears and lockers time out well together if you plan on running larger tires in the near future. You should be able to get a large 31" tire under there with minimal-rubbing up to 33's with either BJ spacers and or T-bar crank and shackles in the rear or Zuk mod. It all depends on budget.
The best thing you can do in the short term is learn to use the search function if you can't find it with the site search engine then go to google and search there with yotatech in the search parameters. I can almost always find stuff now. Look the newbie tech section at the stickies. And most of the stickes that apply to your truck. They will answer most of you questions. As the one you just asked regarding beefing it up has asked more time than most any other question here. Once again welcome and keep us posted on your truck. When you do start to build her up you might want to start a build thread and share you progress with the rest of us as well.

Regarding the tick most older 22re's have a light tick. If it is loud you should check your timing chain just search timing chain check and you should be able to find it
Thanks for the advice ill start lookin into all that im new with all this and tryin to build up a truck this is my first attempt haha. and i want it to be a part time mudder and trail rider ive been takin a few loggin trails jus to try out the 4x4 but wold like to do more. ill try usin the search and newbie blog never used a site like this so i appreciate the help
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM

Agree with thefishguy: 22RE's normally have a ticking sound. When I had my '91 pickup with the 22RE, at first I thought there was something wrong with my motor too. Turns out it's normal for these motors.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shoua
Agree with thefishguy: 22RE's normally have a ticking sound. When I had my '91 pickup with the 22RE, at first I thought there was something wrong with my motor too. Turns out it's normal for these motors.
awesome as long as it isnt anything major thats a relief. i will check my timing though. everything else is great it doesnt leak oil or anything at all great engine..
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Levi Huff
awesome as long as it isnt anything major thats a relief. i will check my timing though. everything else is great it doesnt leak oil or anything at all great engine..

You need to get hold of a stethoscope and probe around to isolate the noise source in the engine, anything else is just guessing.

Also the speedo cable noise indicates it's on it's last leg and should be replaced soon.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
check your valve clearance...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Co 94 PU and dropzone are both right on isolate the noise to make sure it's just a light timing tick. There is a fine line between tick and eating your timing case cover. See if you can't find a member close to you and get some experienced advice. Probably the best way to learn.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Co 94 PU and dropzone are both right on isolate the noise to make sure it's just a light timing tick. There is a fine line between tick and eating your timing case cover. See if you can't find a member close to you and get some experienced advice. Probably the best way to learn.
allright ill try that it souds as if it is comin from under my valve cover so im kinda thinkin it may be a loose lifter.. is any one in the eugene or springfield area on here?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM

I'm for Springfield.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it just recently started ticking, could be a little exhaust leak. Especially with a relatively recent engine rebuild. Pretty common. But don't rule out valves needing adjustment, or a minor timing chain issue. Injectors on these rattle like a diesel, too. Is it just startup? Or all the time? I went fom a 5w40 to a 10w40 (both syn) oil, and hushed my valvetrain up a bit.
Welcome aboard!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rollz79
I'm for Springfield.
hey rollz would you want to meet up somtime maybe teach me some stuff bout toyotas i could really use the help.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
If it just recently started ticking, could be a little exhaust leak. Especially with a relatively recent engine rebuild. Pretty common. But don't rule out valves needing adjustment, or a minor timing chain issue. Injectors on these rattle like a diesel, too. Is it just startup? Or all the time? I went fom a 5w40 to a 10w40 (both syn) oil, and hushed my valvetrain up a bit.
Welcome aboard!
its all the time im thinkin lifter or since ive never driven a 4banger its just the normal noise it makes and im bein all peranoid about it me and my last truck didnt get a long and i spent 2500 on it sold it for 600 so i dont have the best luck with truks so far haha
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 AM

It's a Toyota. Luck was built in! There's enough of us around ya just ask. I'm here in Springfield, also.

Edit: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-what-teq.html
See? Post number 12 or so.

Last edited by combatcarl; 03-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

anyone from springfield be willin to meet up sometime? im in eugen no problem drivin to springfield im movin to springfield ina couple days actually
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM

I'd do a brewski and a meet-up. Freakin crazy busy til later half of next week tho.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
I'd do a brewski and a meet-up. Freakin crazy busy til later half of next week tho.
alrighty im 20 though haha got any ideas on how to easly break a weld? i bought a glass pack wwent to put it on and someone has welded the exaughst together any ideas??
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
A bad weld will come off with some hammer and chisel work, A good weld and it'll still be there long after the other metal has broke/torn

There is a special tool, pipe cutter. If you canget your hands on the chain type they're much easier to work with in the cramped spaces.

You'll likely also need a flaring tool to get it all back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi from Oregon