Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help!!! Just did Timing job on 94Toyota 22RE

Old 03-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Just did Timing job on 94Toyota 22RE

I just finished my timing job this evening, all went well until i started it, it cranked right up,no problems, the problem i have is that it is making a clattering or rattling noise still. I put all new gears, guides, chain tensioner, water pump, belts, etc... It sounds as if it is in the same area, i did notice now that i have the valve cover off that there is a bit of slack on the drivers side, if i push it with a screwdriver it will touch the guide a bit. Question is how can i correct this or could this be my problem? Lord, I hope i don't have to tear all of this back apart, has anyone got any ideas? The clatter is really hard to tell where it is coming from, but it didnt do this before until i finished the work. When i rev the motor up and hold it a little above idling it dissappears. Any ideas??? Help!

Thanks
Bryan
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

I did my front end rebuild also, with a new timing cover, chain, chain tensioner, water pump and oil pump. I only notice clattering after the engine runs for about 10 minutes or so. When it's cold, it runs very quietly. I tried adjusting my valves and it did help.

Try adjusting your valves. Also, make sure you don't tighten the valve cover too much, otherwise the rocker arms may hit the underside of the valve cover, and make more noise.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 03-12-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:01 AM

I had adjusted the valves only a month ago, what is the torque setting on the valves covers i didnt think of that i tightened it pretty tight by hand...hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-12-2006, 05:04 AM

Well after taking the valve cover back off and looking everything over it all looks good the tension is good on the chain on the drivers side and i couldnt see a bolt hitting the chain anywhere down thru it. I torqued the valve cover to spec and i still have this rattling sound, keep in mind i just had the valves adjusted as well about a month ago. I can rev the motor up a little and hold it and it goes away but i do notice it has a slight miss, but you cant hear it or feel it while driving. Im to no end, i did try to push at the chain tensioner with a long screwdriver while i was in there, it didnt move, should it? Is it away from the chain or does it suppose to keep constant tension on the chain? I dunno, i just noticed the slack on the passenger side, so i tried to press against the tensioner from up top. Any ideas??
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

It's my understanding that the tensioner is what keeps chain from having too much slack on the pasenger's side, and I would think that you should be able to move it with a long screwdriver from above.

When I did my valve adjustment, I noticed that it was rather difficult doing it while the engine was "hot" because I'm not fast and I think the engine cooled down before I finished all 8 adjustments. In the end, I did them "cold" using 0.007 and 0.011.

Did you check that your distributor was installed properly, and were you able to set the timing to 5 degree BTDC?

Perhaps others with more experience and knowledge will chime in.

Troy
Old 03-12-2006, 06:14 AM

Everything looks good, its just that i can see the tensioner from up top and it looks as if its not pushing against the chain, it was when i installed it, Just curious if i could beable to move it with a screwdriver tho since it is oil operated