Help choosing a suspension setup

My current setup
Front
-BJ spacers
-low profile compression bumpstops up front
-stock 4 cylinder torsion bars
-skyjacker hydro shocks
Rear
-Downy stock lenght 3" lift leaf springs (with stock overload leaf)
-Marlin 6" shackles, (2.5" longer then stock, gives me 1.25" of lift)
-skyjacker hydro shocks

The setup flexes pretty well on the trails but I have a few issues I'd like to address.

My first problem is that when I load any gear into the back of the 4runner it sits on the overlad leaf (having a larger spare, sliders, a roof rack and rear tube bumper probably doesn't help). Even when the 4runner is empty it's almost sits on the overload leaf. I know Downey springs are known for this but is there any way to correct it? I still have my stock leaf springs, so how about possibly adding an extra leaf to the pack. Or possibly an add-a-leaf, I've been thinking about getting the Downey pre-runner add-a-leafs, I've heard good things about those. And after I fix the leaf spring problem could shocks help (bilstein's, rancho 9000s or air shocks).

My second question is if there is any way to help my 4runner handle whoops. What is the trick with whoops? Do you just have to hit them fast enough and have enough suspension travel to absorb them? Does my T-bar IFS and short leaf spring suspension have enough travel to allow my 4runner to just glide over them? Or is my current supension just too soft and I hit the bumpstops too easily? Other then long travel, which really isn't an option, the only other things I can do for the front is new T-bars (stock V6 ones or aftermarket) and new shocks (considering bilstein's, rancho 9000s or air shocks). Then for the rear possibly one of the options I stated in the earlier paragraph. If I get a confirmation that there is a possiblilty that my stock A-arm IFS could handle the whoops I'd considering spending the extra money converting the rear to 63" chevy's or other longer then stock aftermarket leaf springs.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by strykersd; 08-29-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think nitro, or the 9000's will help you alot. hydro shocks are cheapies.

i dont think that you can get 9000xl's for the front of our trucks tho.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weigh the truck, send the info to Alcan and have a set made specifically for you. It is your best chance of being happy with the setup without a ton of trial and error.

x2 for shocks, but really, I would be seeing what you could do with some made more specifically for what you're trying to do (or at least be tuneable) like King, Fox, Sway-a-Way, Icon, etc. A bypass shock would be ideal, as you could set the initial compression soft for a comfortable ride and have it get quite stiff at the bottom to help with control.

Tbar suspension is actually good for whoops because it acts very progressively. If you really want to go fast, and you're bottoming out a bunch, stiffer tbars may help.

The last option is some kind of hydraulic or air bumpstop to provide a more progressive "bottom out"

Other than the Alcan leafs, all these options are expensive.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by strykersd

Even when the 4runner is empty it's almost sits on the overload leaf. I know Downey springs are known for this but is there any way to correct it?

Thanks for the help
I tried the Downey 3", I had sag issues that progressed. I had to keep adding leaves from my stock pack. I finally went with a set of Allpros and moved the spring hangers. If you keep adding springs stock or add a leafs it just going to stiffen up your rear (that sounds gay) causing your truck to handle the whoops worse.

You can try Alcans for stock length but bet you'll pay through the nose. You can go with Chevies though you'll still need to move the spring mount. Longer shacles may help your Downeys for awhile.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll have to send them the info to get a quote, but really, they're not much more than high quality "built for the masses" springs and you know they'll work exactly how you want them to.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Adding an AAL to the rear springs, given that it is a long thin leaf (not a short stiff one) can help with bottoming out and make the ride better. How? By lifting the rest of the spring up off the stiff factory overload leaf you'll have more up travel before hitting the overload. And since you have enough weight now to nearly fully compress the rear springs, the AAL won't make things too stiff, as long as you get a leaf that is about the same stiffness (thickness and arch) as the rest of the leaves. The Rancho Soft Ride AAL kit is nice in that you get 2 pair of leaves that you can mix-n-match with the rest of the leaves to build up the ride height and quality you want. I think the Downey pre-runner AAL is also a decent choice, you only get one leaf to play with, but it is on the long-thin side.

And the Alcan route is very good, you can get the rear end of the truck weighed and then provide that weight and the lift requirements to Alcan and they can build up a spring pack to meet those needs.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah the AAL option or Alcans will work good. Also might consider some air shocks for the rear, they will allow for fast adjustment to varying loads.

I think the key to whoops is more travel but one thing I've noticed that helps me (IFS) is to disco the front sway bar.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replys so far, keep them coming guys.

To start out I'll probably try out some AAL's in the back and thicker t-bars in the front to see if that helps. It's just to easy to bottem out my current suspension. Since I still want to do rocky trails I'll stay away from the 26mm Downey bars, but my stock 4 cylinder t-bars aren't cutting it anymore for my front bumper, winch and extra lighting. I could try the V6 t-bars, but considering that they are stock t-bar and that the V-6 engine doesn't weigh much more I doubt they will help. So what are my other choices, OME, any others?

In terms of shocks, could I fit bypass shocks between the stock front upper control arms? Are their any low price ($200 or less) bypass shocks out there that fit my stock suspension? I've heard a lot of good things about Bilstein's, but is their "Self-Adjusting Deflecting Disc Valving" really effective, or am I better off with something I can set myself like rancho 9000s or monroe air shocks. Has anyone used the rancho 9000s or monroe air shocks for prerunning? I'm not trying to go as fast as the long travel guys, but I'd like to not have to go 3 miles an hour through the whoops and maybe do a jump or two

Oh and one last thing, how strong are the stock shock mounts for a first gen IFS 4runner?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Air shocks are one decent option, and you can cross link them for a little forced articulation:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/air_shocks/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...ar_air_shocks/

I run the Ranch 9000 shocks w/ in cab adjuster and it works great in the bumps. You can dial in the shocks to suite the terrain as you drive. Might not be ideal for high speed pre-running though, as they tend to get hot pretty fast and start to fade, since they have no internal gas pressure.

But have also heard good thing about the Bils. I run them on my VW and they are great.