Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

help with the belt

Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with the belt

Ok, I know what your thinking.....not another t belt thread. But, I actually haven't seen this yet....and man did I search.

The other day, when pulling out of the auto parts store, my truck 94 3.slow 4runner made a weird pop noise and stalled. I checked for spark, nothing. Cracked open the cap and as you have guessed, the rotor wasn't spinning. So, it's the belt. Got the good Samaritan tow home and started to tear it apart. Luckily, I work with the guy who sold me the truck and he told me it was a new belt.

Does this look new?

I didn't think so either. There is also a ton of gunk under the cover...

Any way, to the reason Im posting this. It appears that one of the Idler pulleys isn't operating correctly. So I downloaded the FSM and it appears that mine is different than the manuals. It does not have a tensioner...the spring loaded thingy..
It has the upper one, that has the water inlet, and the one on the passengers side next to the water pump. I bought a Haynes, which I hate to do, and it shows my style. Good right...wrong. Believe it or not it was a new belt, however I think my coworker may have assembled it wrong.

In these pics,

You can see where the belt was rubbing against the support for the idler, and I think it may be missing a washer. It sits tight against the block, and doesn't clear the water pump bolts. Is the washer on the outside of it suppose to be on the inside, against the block or is it missing altogether. Toyo parts has no clue....both of the manuals don't show it, and the parts store told me hardware isn't included if I just buy a new one....

I know alot of u have changed the dreaded belt on the 3.slow, so can anyone help!!!

Also, is all that gunk normal or is it a sign of something else...

If you noticed, the lower t belt cover is cracked...is this a problem?

and in this pic you can see where it was rubbing against the idler...

Cam bearings....

Passenger side

Drivers side

and just for giggles, everything I yanked off on its way to get cleaned and powder coated....

any help would be appreciated...
Thx
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icebear
Ok,

You can see where the belt was rubbing against the support for the idler, and I think it may be missing a washer. It sits tight against the block, and doesn't clear the water pump bolts. Is the washer on the outside of it suppose to be on the inside, against the block or is it missing altogether. Toyo parts has no clue....both of the manuals don't show it, and the parts store told me hardware isn't included if I just buy a new one....

I know alot of u have changed the dreaded belt on the 3.slow, so can anyone help!!!

Thx
Just did one today...

When you buy a timing belt kit, you get the belt, upper idler and tensioner pulleys.

The cam gears and crankshaft gears obviously ride on the toothed side of the belt.
The tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and water pump, ride on the backside of thebelt.
The bolt 4for the tensioner should have the washer against the block and torqued to 25 ft lbs.
There should be a hydraulic pressurized cylinder mounted to the fan bracket that keep the pressure on the tensioner pulley...

Can you post a pic of the fan bracket and we can tell you which style tensioner you should have....

Added after looking closer to pics:

That tensioner should not be down near the water pump.. It should be up just under the left cam gear......

Oddly it looks like you have a 94 truck with and early 88-92 engine with a 94 tensioner and an early 88-92 fan bracket.....

We need to determine what engine is in the truck and what timing belt kit you need to purchase.....

Last edited by b4wheeler; 05-25-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks for answering here are the pics....

The Hanyes says that 92 and later used this style.....

So the big washer he had between the bolt and the bracket should be between the bracket and the block?

Last edited by icebear; 05-25-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Nope.... that is an early 88-92 style for the mechanical tensioner......

I will research and post pick of what the 94 should have.....
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Nope.... that is an early 88-92 style for the mechanical tensioner......

I will research and post pick of what the 94 should have.....

This is the one on my 95 engine.. notice the boss where the hydraulic tensioner mounts......

If yours does not have this, then your tensioner is wrong for the engine, or the fan bracket is wrong.

Last edited by b4wheeler; 05-25-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM

i see the difference..... so now what?

Do i buy a new fan bracket and t belt kit with tensioner, or do i buy the older style tensioner and leave the bracket?

I guess this is why the belt went... nothing to apply tension to the belt and it popped of a pulley?

Also, I noticed that the cam pulleys are backwards from the books...the one with the lip is on the passenger side not the drivers....

Last edited by icebear; 05-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 PM

We need to determine which type tensioner you are supposed to have......

This is a pic of a mechanical tensioner setup.....

Are you sure that is the original engine????

Looks like you should have a mechanical tensioner and the wrong timing belt kit was installed. Looks like the hydraulic tensioner was mounted where the mechanical was supposed to be..

We will need a better pic of the mechanical setup to determine if there is a place to connect the other end of the spring.
I am not sure if the mechanical setup can be changed to hydraulic..
From the last pic, it looks like there is not the correct mounting holes to mount a hydraulic tensioner to a block that is supposed to have a mechanical tensioner......
Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Better pic of mechanical setup....

Good pic of hydraulic tensioner and mounting position.....

(note plastic thermostat housing on the newer engine, my 88 was aluminum and my 95 is plastic)
(may help determine year of engine)

Last edited by b4wheeler; 05-25-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

It has an aluminum thermostat housing..... However it also has 199,000 miles on it. The heads were changed a month ago, just before I bought it. The previous owner bought a long block from a junk yard and swapped the heads onto his block, shade tree style. It is very possible that the last owner mixed and matched off of the long block he has, and I'm still pretty sure he used an older belt, maybe even off of the junker motor. I don't see any reason why he would change the fan bracket though......
Not sure if he'll give me an honest answer either.....
maybe I should clean it up better, would that help in identifying whether it's mechanical or hydraulic... Is there something I can look for to pin point which it is?
And by the way, where did u get that crank stick to stop it from spinning...did u fab it? and if so would you mind sharing the blue prints for it?

You've really been a big help, and I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM

All those pics are from this forum.. I did a search and found all this stuff.. none of which are mine
Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM

From your description, it sounds like the PO put a used long block in it and switched over parts incorrectly...... Probably ordered a timing belt kit for the 94 and the engine that was installed was a pre-92
To make the crank tool, just get a long piece of 1" or 1 1/2" flat stock and then a shorter piece.... Drill a hole in the end of the shorter piece and drill a hole in the longer piece about 6-8 inches up from the end.
Bolt the two pieces together loosely.
Drill a hole at the other ends of both pieces.
now attach the long piece to one pulley mounting hole and the shorter piece that is connected to the longer piece will pivot and should be able to mount to another pulley mounting hole.
Sort of an inverted "Y" with a pivot in the middle....

Make sense?????

Or just get a long piece of 1 or 1 1/2" flat stock, lay the pulley over it and drill holes to match the pulley....
Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Makes total sense...thx I'll make one tomorrow.

As far as fixing the truck, I can order the 88-92 t belt kit, it comes with both pulleys and a spring and belt, however i still need the bracket that the other side of the spring attaches to, somewhere on the water pump...right. do you know where I can get a new one or is that dealer only?

Whether there your pics or not, b4, you've been a big help.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM

ok, found out that the block is a 94, and the heads are off an 88-92.....guess I'm gonna have to go with mechanical configuration.

Let me know if this isn't possible.
Also, does anyone have or know where to get a new spring bracket that attaches to the water pump...the end not attached to Idler?