Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight aim on my '95

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Headlight aim on my '95

I've searched other threads but haven't seen the definitive answer. I'm 99% certain that the long screw behind the headlights adjusts the up/down aim. What adjusts them from side to side?
I need to adjust them up a pretty fair amount since I had the Downey HD1.5s and longer shocks installed (before and after pics coming soon). But they've always been a little sideways skewed and I'd like to correct that, too. My owners manual tells me nothing, same as my Haynes manual.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Should be two adjusters. One brings the light up and down the other side to side.
I think they are on opposite sides of the light. I think there is a hole in the metal frame peice above the headlight that is where the second adjuster is recessed down in there I believe.
A cheap way to do a makeshift alignment it is park about 15-20 ft in front of a wall on a level surface at dusk and check the pattern.
There's alot of tech articles out there on headlight alignment.

Last edited by 934rnr; 03-01-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem after the OME stuff, and I can't find the adjusters either?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

I was right about the long phillips screw at the top, on a slight angle from verticle. It adjusts up and down. But I haven't yet figured out where the side to side adjuster is.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM

OK -- bumping an old thread. Someone jacked with my headlights and front TJM bumper while I was parked in the employee garage over the weekend. My headlights are completely pointing DOWN in front of the vehicle, barely illuminating anything in front of the bumper.

I quickly got out to see WTF was going on and the whole headlight assembly is loose on both the left and right headlight. I can manually push the headlights back into position, but there is a spring on the bottom of the assembly that pulls it back down as soon as I let go. This would indicate to me that there is another screw that hold it in place at the desired vertical orientation, but I can't find it. I'm probably going to need photos to get an accurate answer, but I can't find an adjustment screw for vertical orientation anywhere in or around the housing. There is the long, vertical screw (slightly off camber) that is behind the light. I found that this only tightens the spring that holds tension on the housing (making it easier/harder to move up and down), but no screw that actually positions the headlamp higher or lower.

I have a Chilton's manual that shows a completely different diagram for the headlight assembly and can't find one for the one that is in mine. Any suggestions on where I can find some good photos or diagrams indicating adjustment points on a 95 4Runner's headlight housing?

Ed

Last edited by Epic Ed; 02-28-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

i will try to take some pics tonight and post them....there is one spot for the up and down at the top of the headlight and one on the sides...along with the sprint that is all that holds the full housing in place...it is possible to screw the adjuster the entire way out and loose the screw....
Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Took a quick picture of my driver's side headlight (with all references as seen on the picture).

The screw on the left adjusts the top left (inside) corner of the light, the screw on the right adjusts the bottom right (outside) corner of the light. On the top right, there is a fixed pivot point and on the bottom left, there is a spring.

Adjust the right screw and the light will rotate around a horizontal axis (the fixed pivot point and the top left adjustment point).

Adjust the left screw and the light will rotate around a vertical axis (the fixed pivot point and the bottom right adjustment point).

The spring keeps everything in place.

Be a little bit careful when doing the adjustments. I have broken (and fixed) one adjustment point and fixed one broken pivot point.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight aim on my '95-p2280002.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a bolt at the top of the light, one end has almost an hourglass type shape beneath a phillips head, threaded on the other. This hourglass type shape sits within a groove in the "tin" shield that frames the headlight. The adjusting screw itself plugs into the body with a plastic square "chunk" which is internally threaded for the aformentioned hourglass bolt. Tightening or loosening the bolt moves the sheild in or out, and raises or lowers the headlight at the same time. This making any sense?

Anyway, sometimes the plastic chunk fails, falls out of the body and takes the bolt with it... never to be seen again. Then your headlight(s) just dangle, pulled down by the lower spring only. Making it appear to not have any up and down adjustment option.

The adjusting bolts with "chunks" are available from a Toyota dealer, pretty cheap.

Side adjustment bolts are similiar, but can be hard to see behind the grill cowl. Just be patient and use a long screwdriver to reach.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 PM

FWIW, the lights (and probably some of the adjustment mechanism) are different on the 89-92 models and the 93-95 models. Looks like yours is of the 89-92 kind Elvota.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup, mine is a '91... so I guess we all know how the '91's headlights are now.

Maybe that will help someone else in the future.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, mine is like the one in RTC's photo. I'll take a look tonight when I get home.

Ed