86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headers anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headers anyone??

are headers worth buying for my 3.slow? its in a 1993 4runner. worth it or not? and if its worth it... what are some good brands?

im tryin to get some more power out of the ol' 3.0
Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM

I have downeys, wrapped and paired with a full bent custom exhaust and crossover with a high flo cat and flowmaster 40 series muffler. I think it has been the best mod for power so far but i dropped about $950 said and done and thats with me installing the headers and sourcing the parts. You can tell a little power difference and it sounds mean now. The downey's touch the cab floor on the passenger side (if you don't have a body lift) but i made a heat shield that slides around the header for about a foot when the clearences are tight, never had an issue with it. I have been told the Downey's are not the best but the price was right and i havent had issues in a year and a half, knock on wood. I've heard its bad to wrap them because they will crack but it lowered the underhood temp ALOT. I think i lost a bit of mileage but it's hard to say, i always have my foot in it because it sounds so nice. My vote, get headers if you want a bit more power, some nice sound, and are worryed about smoking the back driver's side cylinder. That much money could be spent on gears and lockers though, which would make more of a "power" difference and better off-road capability.

Last edited by Snipes4ever; 06-08-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snipes4ever
I have downeys, wrapped and paired with a full bent custom exhaust and crossover with a high flo cat and flowmaster 40 series muffler. I think it has been the best mod for power so far but i dropped about $950 said and done and thats with me installing the headers and sourcing the parts. The downey's touch the cab floor on the passenger side (if you don't have a body lift) but i made a heat shield that slides around the header for about a foot when the clearences are tight, never had an issue with it. I have been told the Downey's are not the best but the price was right and i havent had issues in a year and a half, knock on wood. I've heard its bad to wrap them because they will crack but it lowered the underhood temp ALOT. You can tell a little power difference and it sounds mean now. I think i lost a bit of mileage but it's hard to say, i always have my foot in it because it sounds so nice. My vote, get headers if you want a bit more power, some nice sound, and are worryed about smoking the back driver's side cylinder. That much money could be spent on gears and lockers though, which would make more of a "power" difference and better off-road capability.

thats some good info thanks, but im not exactly thinking of doing it myself, dont want any leakage. thats pretty expensive though, especially if you did it yourself. i got 3-inch tailpipe and 40 series dual chambered flow for $236 installed.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Jackal... just out of curiosity, where did you go to get your exhaust system installed?