Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Well you can go 60 on ice, I am from NH i know ice.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out last weekend to the snow/ice and did alright. I have great tread left on my tires, but when you have ice 4x4 and good tires mean nothing. I was on maybe a 4 degree pitch and struggled. I had to back up and get speed. I want to be able to go at a slow pace and not worry about going into the bank. Chains are next!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Like i said, some snow you stick to, and others, its useless.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is what rally cars drive on the snow and ice.

Studded tires are illegal in lots of places. Anywhere that allows studded tires limits the size of the studs to pretty darn small.

Remember 4x4 gets you going fast on the snow and ice but it doesn't do jack to help stop.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
60 on ice is just stupid,anyone can haula** on ice but what are you going to do when its time to stop/emergency stop?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM

I love the WWII clip of A Sherman tank in Pattons army just sliding on the ice, no control.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM

I would be alright in a tank plowing into something after losing control on ice,but imagine sliding into a tree at 60mph in a 4Runner.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
I would be alright in a tank plowing into something after losing control on ice,but imagine sliding into a tree at 60mph in a 4Runner.
total epic destruction.

last winter i drove the I5 from san diego to seattle. I tried to drive straight through but had to stop in cottage grove, oregon for the night due to all the wrecks. It was snowing at the top of the grapvine in LA, and everything north of shasta was dooms day kind of winter driving. so i get on the road the next morning from cottage grove and i got into eugene where i was driving and a semi about 200 yards up the freeway decides he needs to shift lanes right where a patch of 2" thick ice starts, he jack knifes his trailer doing 55 and lays it down right infront of me. fortunately i had some grip and managed to stop. but i sat there for 4 hours waiting for ODOT to get the trailer and truck up right.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We just got roughly a foot of snow. My brother and I took my 4runner up in the hills and had fun watching a jeep cherokee trying to do some of the trails my 4runner did. He blames the tires, but he also stayed on the low side of the trail and slid off a few times before taking a different one. In a few days it'll be hard packed-get-you-stuck snow and I'll have to find my chains if I want to go wheeling. Oh and I'm using General Grabber AT2 tires

Last edited by nv4runner; 12-09-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM

I've been cruising back and forth from Seattle to Bozeman in some nasty blizzards and have hit 70+ on the straights no problem when the visibility was good, cruising through 4 inches or so of unplowed interstate. The worst spots were hitting the grooves when it would throw you back in... Let of the gas and I was fine. Lots of props to the BFG AT's... I dont think I would even want to try a different tire for the snow. I learned how to keep em in traction and how to slide em around. Very predictable tires
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rideexileex
Lots of props to the BFG AT's... I dont think I would even want to try a different tire for the snow. I learned how to keep em in traction and how to slide em around. Very predictable tires
agreed, a 2wd 4runner drives great in snow when you're going in a straight line, but take a turn wrong... and it can be over, as with any car i guess. i want some of the BFG M/T KM2's those are a nice tire.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM

I did well driving in white out conditions in colorado but even in 4WD I had some sliding problems on black ice.A little bit of not driving stupid goes a long way,lol.Slow is the way.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tracey98277
i want some of the BFG M/T KM2's those are a nice tire.
Anyone have any direct experience between the KM/2's and the AT's with snow driving? I read that for specifically designed snow tires, they are engineered to actually pack snow into the treads of the tire. Believe it or not, that packed snow in the tire tread actually provides traction by 'gripping' the snow on the ground. With less individual treads on the KM/2's compared to the AT's, I figured that these might actually offer less traction on hard snow pack. Curious to hear what people have to say.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM

It is funny when people think they can go anywhere with their mudders. In snow you dont want a really wide tire. You want as small of a footprint as you can. I love seeing guys with swampers in the ditch. Studs are great also, if your differential isnt permanently locked. Mine is and I'm sure that would rip the roads up if i had studs. But my mom, dad, and stepdad have studs on their 2006 runner, 2009 tundra, and my dads, 2wd, 82 longbed. The only thing I dont like about the snow is when some idiot drove up the hill before you and went in the ditch. Its sometimes hard to get out of the tire rut/ groove he made before you. The front tire can be cranked to the side but you still go where the groove was.t. I always try to make my own tracks.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
This topic is a frequent here. I think the most important thing is common sense. knowing you rig, realizing the many pitfalls on driving in hazardous conditions. When ppl do something stupid that hurts other ppl they're all sorry and didn't mean to do it. But never thought about the simple basics its not the fall that hurts its the sudden stop. So as I read these post "I do 60mph or 70mph or 80mph in snow and ice." Then notice in the signature lines blah blah blah truck/4rnr/car (RIP) or blah blah truck rolled and you actually give advice to others to drive that way. Stupid is as stupid does, please do the world a favor and wear a sign. Rant off.

I lock front hubs and shift on the fly to 4wd, rear locker and wide tires in 2wd like to try and push around with throttle. 4wd corrects this well. If its really icee well its a floating holiday. I know my driving abilities and my trucks, but there is alot of idiots on the road. For some reason the worse the conditions the faster someppl go.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 AM

70 in snow, was there a fire to get too?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Last year in st. louis we had some snow but nothing too deep. I drove around on my 31" ltb's and never felt as though i would get stuck. The ltb's saved my butt several times and a few other motorists as well. Whenever it snows deep ( 1-2 feet) in st. louis people tend to freek out and get stuck. It's fun to drive around with a tow strap and pull people out for a little cash. I never ask for money but 9 times out of tend people insist that i take it for my trouble. Little do they know it's no trouble at all and i was only out playing in the snow for poops and giggles.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
Last year in st. louis we had some snow but nothing too deep. I drove around on my 31" ltb's and never felt as though i would get stuck. The ltb's saved my butt several times and a few other motorists as well. Whenever it snows deep ( 1-2 feet) in st. louis people tend to freek out and get stuck. It's fun to drive around with a tow strap and pull people out for a little cash. I never ask for money but 9 times out of tend people insist that i take it for my trouble. Little do they know it's no trouble at all and i was only out playing in the snow for poops and giggles.
I used to have a tow strap on my hitch when i lived in maui. Never took it off when we went to the beach. We would get all the tourists trying to drive their rental jeeps out of the sand. They would be dug down to the frame. People are silly. I'd say 40 bucks or you can call the tow truck to get you out for 150. PLay time and make money!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Now thats a Mensch.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Jpeters I got a question for you,is it better to pull someone out with your front end or back end? Ive never pulled a stuck vehicle out before but it would be nice to know how to do it.

Quick Reply: handling in the snow