Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

handling in the snow

Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Colorado :-(
Posts: 1,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handling in the snow

I'm surprised at how well this truck did in the snow this morning. I have crappy tires (i'm due to get more in a week or two).

I did slide out of control when I was going really slow and making a sharp right turn, but other than that I'm, pretty pleased. I drive like a granny, 35mph in a 55mph zone when it's icey and snowy. What limits have you been able to push your trucks to? What can they tolerate in the snow and ice?
DupermanDave is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
JohnRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 272
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 in a 55 driving on snow and ice


BFG AT's
JohnRaven is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Gokumono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 126
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how well i handled in the snow last year.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...&hl=en&fs=true

Needless to say after I was done that day. That parking lot was clean.

Last edited by Gokumono; 12-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Gokumono is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 AM
  #4  
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Resto-noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cheshire county, NH
Posts: 509
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60mph on I-90 in lake effect snows. I stopped cold when I hit a 2 foot drift, though. I had stock duelers from a '95 that I swapped onto my old 86.

Keep in mind, I was 19 at the time and would never be that stupid again. It was fun, though.
Resto-noob is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
stagger_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 839
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to plow my own street in Big Bear with the skid plate, no plow and stock height 93 runner 4wd, no chains. That was after a 3-4 foot storm. I was impressed. No plows came back there.
stagger_lee is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
jason191918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 1,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what snow looks like.



jason191918 is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Colorado :-(
Posts: 1,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. These things are snow monsters. My last 4x4 (which I still regret selling) was a small suzuki sidekick, the 4 door model. It was great in the snow, though I couldn't ever take it snow drifting. It just didn't cooperate.

This thing is pretty stable, i feel safe in it.

Jason 191918, were you able to get out of that deep snow? Or did you have to shovel your way out?

The last winter I was here (was out of the country last year, so this was the year before) I remember I was shoveling out my sidekick and I was almost out. I made a nice path and was going to back out. I went inside to change my socks and the plow guy came through again and burried me in...AGAIN!!! It was in a deep situation like in that second picture.
DupermanDave is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM
  #8  
tc
Contributing Member
 
tc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 8,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favorite snow pic ...


It takes about that much snow to stop my truck! Of course, then it takes a lot of digging and winching to un-stop it!
tc is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
jason191918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 1,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
Wow. These things are snow monsters. My last 4x4 (which I still regret selling) was a small suzuki sidekick, the 4 door model. It was great in the snow, though I couldn't ever take it snow drifting. It just didn't cooperate.

This thing is pretty stable, i feel safe in it.

Jason 191918, were you able to get out of that deep snow? Or did you have to shovel your way out?

The last winter I was here (was out of the country last year, so this was the year before) I remember I was shoveling out my sidekick and I was almost out. I made a nice path and was going to back out. I went inside to change my socks and the plow guy came through again and burried me in...AGAIN!!! It was in a deep situation like in that second picture.
The first pic is my truck and I didn't get stuck that day (that was the last day of NOVEMBER last year).

The second pic is a buddy of mine who needed a lil tug to get out.
jason191918 is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Matt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,377
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd struggle to lift a show shovel of this stuff. It was very wet and turned to ice if you spun the tires. It only took the depth of the hiegh to the diff to stop me. All terrains, no locker at the time.

Matt16 is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM
  #11  
Registered User
 
874runnersr5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB Canaduh
Posts: 3,948
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
ah i cant wait to try 4x4in in the snow!!
874runnersr5 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 AM
  #12  
SR5
Registered User
 
SR5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 713
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaking of, WATTORA is having a snow run on december 27
anyone in WA should come
SR5 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
toyota4x4907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: middle of no where Alaska
Posts: 4,355
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SR5 View Post
speaking of, WATTORA is having a snow run on december 27
anyone in WA should come
DAng, Wish I lived down there. that would make a fun birthday..day...

I used to always run 70-80 on the ice/snow on my way to school...that wasn't too smart though. Never had any bad incidents besides almost hitting a moose......or 6......
toyota4x4907 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 AM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Colorado :-(
Posts: 1,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got another winter driving question. I was reading this link http://www.fixya.com/cars/t596049-4wd_low_4wd_high

The guy with the long paragraphs seems to know what he's talking about, but he says, " It engages the front wheels, and keeps the same
overall gearing as with 2wd."

Does this mean the front wheels are now tuning at the same rate as the rear wheels? I was told it was bad to drive in 4high on dry pavement. Is this true? What about slick/wet pacement from slushy/melted ice?
DupermanDave is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
  #15  
Contributing Member
 
GodwinAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 1,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know whats cool about our trucks is they are VERY capable in the snow - much more so with a good set of tires, but at least with the older trucks something that I find cool is that they dont have any crazy stability control, traction control, computer sensing distribution control blah blah blah. Just plain and simple lever actuated 4wd.

They are capable, but they also demand a skilled driver or you will end up in a ditch just as easy as the guy with a RWD crown vic.

But Toyotas can plow through some very serious conditions.
GodwinAustin is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM
  #16  
Contributing Member
 
GodwinAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 1,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
Got another winter driving question. I was reading this link http://www.fixya.com/cars/t596049-4wd_low_4wd_high

The guy with the long paragraphs seems to know what he's talking about, but he says, " It engages the front wheels, and keeps the same
overall gearing as with 2wd."

Does this mean the front wheels are now tuning at the same rate as the rear wheels? I was told it was bad to drive in 4high on dry pavement. Is this true? What about slick/wet pacement from slushy/melted ice?
this has been discussed many many times on here, but yes driving with traditional 4wd (locked center diff) allows a 50/50 distribution front and rear. This is bad on dry pavement as during turns tension from the push pull of that locked center diff ends up being placed on your drivetrain components. Not good for them at all and will stress them and prematurely end their service life.
GodwinAustin is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM
  #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Colorado :-(
Posts: 1,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GodwinAustin View Post
this has been discussed many many times on here, but yes driving with traditional 4wd (locked center diff) allows a 50/50 distribution front and rear. This is bad on dry pavement as during turns tension from the push pull of that locked center diff ends up being placed on your drivetrain components. Not good for them at all and will stress them and prematurely end their service life.
So turns are bad, but what about highway travel? I ask because as I drive down the high way to work, there's patches of dry area and patches of wet. I'd say about 50/50 mix. It's tedious and danerous to take it out of 4high to go over the dry stuff and put it back into 4high when the wet patches come again.
DupermanDave is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM
  #18  
Contributing Member
 
GodwinAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 1,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
So turns are bad, but what about highway travel? I ask because as I drive down the high way to work, there's patches of dry area and patches of wet. I'd say about 50/50 mix. It's tedious and danerous to take it out of 4high to go over the dry stuff and put it back into 4high when the wet patches come again.
If you are going in a straight line ONLY you dont have to worry about drivetrain binding in 4wd, even on dry pavement.
GodwinAustin is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: seattle
Posts: 406
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry i dont have to put on photobucket but heres this quick one!
Attached Thumbnails handling in the snow-photo-0027.jpg  
murdarunna19 is offline  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM
  #20  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Colorado :-(
Posts: 1,758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you guys are pretty daring. I don't think I'd ever go into deep snow. I'd be too affraid of getting stuck and being late to work. I might go have some fun tomorrow on my day off. Test out the toyota in deep deep snow.
DupermanDave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: handling in the snow


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: