Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

handling in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Back end, on the strong side of the gears.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the BFG ATs in the snow. On the ice your hosed unless you have some good studded tires, even the studless snows slide.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed today driving into work that it's really easy to break the rear end loose from a dead stop, like it happens whether I want it to or not. I remember the last time I went wheeling in the snow and then was spinning like crazy trying to get onto the highway from an iced up access road.

I'm thinking it might be the darn tires (great in everything else) that are the problem. That and with the locker back there if one tire decides to spin then the other has no choice but to do the same.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive not yet been stuck with my ADD system,but I havent tried to bury it either.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I forgot to mention, I run 31x10.5 BFG M/T's year round. I siped the center treadblocks, and they seem to do alright.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Jpeters I got a question for you,is it better to pull someone out with your front end or back end? Ive never pulled a stuck vehicle out before but it would be nice to know how to do it.
Joking making fun of me? I would rather do it with my back end. Never pulled anyone out before? Well if you are serious i would rather do it with my back end. Id rather put most of my strain of my front drive axle. When you tow a boat do you tow from the front or back. And on the other vehicle Im towing out I dont care. Its not my rig. lol
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
70 in snow, was there a fire to get too?
Totally depends on the snow. When its -20 back here in Bozeman like it is now , the snow is like driving through dust. It literally just blows out of the way as you drive and you can do 70 on the straights of the interstate no problem.

Now california snow, or like Seattle where I'm from originally, has that typical west coast cement snow, and likes to do the freeze/thaw cycle each day. I would never imagine driving 70 in that stuff.

It all comes down to being comfortable with the weather and your rig.

Btw... my 'RIP' case didnt even have anything to do with snow. That was up in the hills at the end of summer
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Still hear this argument everytime a snow driving post comes up. I can yadayada. I've never driven in Montana snow. So perhaps physical properties of water are different there, its possible. Perhaps they have roads in which ice does not form on. It doesn't really matter. After all in subzero temperatures it has to warm up to snow. I've driven Northern Germany 300 miles south of the artic circle, got pretty cold there. Wisconsin in January gets really cold, driven their too. Yes, I've personally seen the carnage and aftermath of miss judgements and mistakes. Which I'll wager that any vehicle that had three barrel rolls had some sort of misjudgement or mistake going on that caused it. Well with a few exception, perhaps you a a stunt driver or had a catastauphic mechanical, tire, etc failure.

So in argument, no it doesn't come down to "comfortable with weather and rig." It comes down to common sense. You may have done Xspeed in whatever hazardous condition everyday of your life but it only takes once. Trust me there are many ppl on this board that answer the call when that "oh " just once incidence happens.

I know you are a young male that is educated and knows it all. Yes, I've met the same traits in more than one in my line of work, and it was never good that caused the introduction and many times had something to do with a misjudgement or mistake.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
here in north dakota sometimes we get the same kinda snow that rideexileex is talking about its a real light snow and basically just blows off the road as you travel over it, iv done 70 in this kinda snow, a wet heavy snow no way. around here the biggest hurdle in snow driving around here is visibility there isn't much to block the wind. the drifts can get pretty bad sometimes as well
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM

I appreciate the long post, but here is my quick summary:

Common sense is derived from being "comfortable with weather and rig". One makes judgments from those facts.

Has to warm up to snow? Funny that its -11 and snowing outside right now... I believe some of your assumptions to be false. I suggest a bit more research on your end.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I am comfortable with firearms, and there are things I N E V E R do, comfortable, schmumfortable, slow down in snow.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Must have not read the whole thread... the word 'snow' is too generic. It depends on what moisture content/density, humidity, and temperature is in question. Obviously, and please... don't do 70 in coastal california cement
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM

i feel its not what limits we can push to as the original poster asked, but keeping in mind that the laws of physics will trump every other law and good intention every time. don't mess with them.

coming from a land of lake effect snow we see more than our share of snow. all kinds of snow. i ride for endurance and stamina, not speed. what i like best tho' is not how fast i can go but take comfort in the fact that i'll be able to get out of the ditch and back on the road if i do happen to break a law of physics. tow truck drivers here love the winter. there's enough idiocy and bad luck around to keep them very busy.

i used to drive 35 miles each day one way to and from work and my favorite memories was getting on the expressway/freeway in downtown grand rapids during "rush hour" one snowy evening, and being one of the few vehicles on the "s" curve (for those from mi who know what i'm talking about) and driving where ever i wanted 'cause there were no visible lanes, the snow plows couldn't keep up with how fast it was coming down and they gave up, and hardly anyone else was on the road. still minding my manners but how cool that was. its a strange thing to feel like you're offroading in the middle of downtown.

just keep safe everyone. its gonna be a long winter and its only just begun. i'd like to know you'll all still be here with us in the spring....
peace.
l
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I 2nd that one.........
Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Nice post loislane.

Yes, if it gets cold enough it has to warm up to snow
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one thing you guys need to remember...in SNOW you want a WIDE tire...(check out artic trucks) SNOW resembles sand..you wanna stay on top of it

now ICE is a different animal all together..you want a skinny tire on ice..it increases the pressure put on the road.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 PM

and my swampers did jusstt fine in the ice

im hoping the X-terrains are just as good or better lol
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM

My wide tires do better in deep snow, but may be the ice underneath. And with the locker a little throttle goes a long way
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
My wide tires do better in deep snow, but may be the ice underneath. And with the locker a little throttle goes a long way
So does having a little extra weight in the bed of your truck.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
last winter i had No problems plowing through the 4ft+ high drifts of snow on the sides of the road. Or romping through the 2ft of snow on the backroads. Even managed to get myself into about 3ft of nasty stuff on the side of the road (slight hill to a BIG ditch). Thankfully I was able to get back onto the road, was stuck sliding sideways for a few hundred feet

But I tell you what... if im driving in .5-3" of snow... its a beast to handle. Any bit of throttle has the rear end walking out on you...

i was able to link some pretty incredible drifts last winter!

Last edited by Jay351; 12-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: handling in the snow