Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Got the ST2 back home.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the ST2 back home.

Well I finally got the SwampThing2 back home. What a headache, dealing with the damn insurance for nearly 3 months... But anyways, it's good to have it back in my driveway! And I had the brilliant idea to have the frontend loader use his forks to pry up the smashed cab. Solve at lease on of my headaches for me. Some pictures:

So done with one headache, onto another...

Beat the doors open (had to get inside and kick the holy effin hell outta them to get them open), then took em off cause they wouldn't even make a good candidate for half doors. Then I charged the battery, bled the sparkplugs, added a couple quarts of oil cause it was barely on the stick, checked all my other fluids which were groovy (rad still full, oil looks like oil not milkshake), then stared it up...

I have never seen so much white smoke in all my life. It was worse than a seafoam demonstration on 10 cars in a sealed box. So I figure it's just burning oil out of the cylinders and possibly the tailpipe. Plus I couldn't breath after 20 seconds so I shut it off. Figured I probably got all the oil mixed up so I went ahead and changed the oil and oil filter just for giggles.

Well I started it again to drive it maybe 1/10th a mile up the road to the carwash so I could spray off everything and whatnot. 7 second diesel dragsters could not cover lanes of traffic in smoke as well as the poor ST2 did. So I started to get worried cause it was smoking soooo bad, and running pretty badly (bogging down in the low rpm range), so I figure there must be at least 3 quarts of oil stuck in my tailpipe to account for all the smoke being burnt off, so I leave it running for about 5 minutes while I spray the truck to try and let it burn all the oil out.

I stopped it after about 5 minutes cause I wanted to check my oil level cause it still didn't stop smoking even after 5 minutes of it idling and me revving it up ever now and then. So I check my dip stick, and to my surprise, it's a hillbilly **** hair away from being completely empty. "Well," I say to myself "that's where all the white smoke is coming from..."

Soooo now I've got to figure out what the heck could have happened in a roll over to cause my motor to burn off all it's oil as if it were cheech and chong... Ideas? And more pics to come.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm white smoke thats not oil. If its whiteish blue then its probly oil.

It's normal to burn for quite a while after a flop.. sometimes you will see the remains even after 3 hours of run time.

As for the consumption... If you checked cold the first time, added some then checked warm, your probly reading less because most of it is in circulation through the motor and not so much is down in the sump where your dipstick is reading from
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM

It has to be. Maybe it's not burning oil, which would cause it to be blue, but it's loosing it's oil somehow. And I know people hear white smoke and think blown hg and coolant is leaking into it, but my rad is still full. I did a full oil change 4.5 quarts, ran it for a few seconds to get oil into the new filter, then added the other .5 quarts. Showed full on my dip, then once I let it run for a while at the car wash, after I stopped it, the oil was damn near gone.

And there's no visible leaks anywhere.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:38 AM

And, I think something is tweaked motor/tranny wise. The motor is sitting a little rolled in the engine bay, and the shifter is way over to the right inside the cab. It's weird.

Some more pics:

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-23-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ST2 is back!! Yay, im so happy you got her back from the insurance company Clint
Old 05-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
cool to see you get her back!

yeah take a look at the driver's side motor mount; probably pulled apart in the roll
Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
ST2 is back!! Yay, im so happy you got her back from the insurance company Clint
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
cool to see you get her back!

yeah take a look at the driver's side motor mount; probably pulled apart in the roll
Thanks yall. Yeah I've missed the beast! I'll get out there and check that motor mount once it stops raining. Just my luck, it rains when my toy isn't in running condition...

But yeah I'm still up in the air about what I want to do to it. One part wants me to take the cab completely off and leave the firewall and floor board and go fully tube buggy, the other part wants to chop the top and leave the rest of the body on and do a tube cab and finish exo'ing the front, then the other half wants to put a new cab on that my buddy said he could get me for about $100

My buddy also has a 22re laying around for me to have since he took his out and dropped a small block 350 in it, and all I would have to do is get a wiring harness, but I dunno if I wanna go to the trouble of dropping it in. We'll see on that account.

I need ideas on what to do with the cab though.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing

I need ideas on what to do with the cab though.
Leave the firewall and floor and go full buggy. You know you want to.......
Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM

chop the top off and tube the top of the cab and finish exo
Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
convertable with a plexi window, and a roll cage

just cut off only the roof and the back
Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I'm probably gonna chop the top to just see how it looks first thing. Waiting for my cousin to get back from school up there in Colorado to give me a hand.

Speaking of which, does anyone who lives up there in Colorado (tc or lys?) ever see this truck driving up there where ever the heck Johnson & Wales University is?

But anyways, yeah I think it'll look awfully strange with no cab, no doors, and beat up body before it gets it's tube work lol.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 PM

bled the sparkplugs,

How do you do that? You havta teach me that 1!!!!! Glad to see it back where it belongs!!!! Tube it and trug it, I say!!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
How do you do that? You havta teach me that 1!!!!! Glad to see it back where it belongs!!!! Tube it and trug it, I say!!!!
Lol you know what I mean. Popped em out and turned it over for a couple seconds.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A torch will clean those plugs pretty good (An old metal rake works perfect as a holder)
Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Lol

Well, a quick little photochopping, and you can see what I mean about how it would look weird lol.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Lol

Well, a quick little photochopping, and you can see what I mean about how it would look weird lol.

Ah yes. The Swampthing 2.5....
Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Keep that idea but put some chopped welded doors and filled seams... and one of those little hot rod/speed boat windshields... and maybe re profile the rear cage so there are just some hoops behind the headrests...
maybe a proper "deck" with a bait box/cooler and a fighting chair out back?

but then again with your record maybe not...

glad you got her back... good luck with her...

Last edited by aviator; 05-23-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Keep that idea but put some chopped welded doors and filled seams... and one of those little hot rod/speed boat windshields... and maybe re profile the rear cage so there are just some hoops behind the headrests...
I'm thinking maybe something like this. But then again yeah I want to figure out how to protect the side where the riders are a little better.

What is this speed boat windshield idea you were talking about?

Originally Posted by aviator
maybe a proper "deck" with a bait box/cooler and a fighting chair out back?

but then again with your record maybe not...

glad you got her back... good luck with her...
Lol I had seriously thought about putting a stripper pole on it the day before I took it down to the beach when I rolled it...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Maybe... But it looks alot less weird once you draw up a tube cab.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM

I'd wheel that

Quick Reply: Got the ST2 back home.