Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

got a new truck!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a new truck!

hey guys, been wanting to get one of these for a long time, and finally found the perfect one for me (price, model, and condition wise)

im pretty noob to 4x4ing and trucks in general, generally more of a car guy, but i love offroading too!

its a 93 hilux surf with the 1KZ-TE, and 5spd, i was dead set on those 2 things as the "must haves" for the criteria, pretty rare to find one in that configuration, in good condition and a reasonable price

anyways, so my exporter has no idea how much/what kind of lift it has, but he says that it has:
· Rancho RS9000 Shocks
· Rancho Bump Stops
· ZEAL Coils
· Zeal Rear Swing Arm
· Zeal Front Drive Shaft

i never knew Zeal made offroading parts! unless its not the same company as the Zeal that makes the car suspension that im familiar with.

still only IFS, but ill probably do the SAS later on.

my question is.. can you guys tell if its just mostly body lift from the pic? or is it a combination of body and suspension lift?

and how good is rear coil spring for offroading compared to leafs?? i know coils usually make the ride more comfortable for on road driving but..

heres some pics, theres quite a few things im gonna change on it when it gets here, the rims and that horribly gay exhaust definately has to go, maybe ill just chop that can off, and keep the nice piping... but heres what it looks like as it sits at the moment!

(yes, its missing the side step on the left side, but that just means its one less for me to take off when it gets here )
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 PM

That's a susp lift my brother. I have no idea what kind though. I've been drooling over the diesel Surfs FOR-EVER! And you def need to get rid of that ricer tip and those weird visor things on the windows. I've never seen ones that huge. That is a sweet ride though.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 AM

looks good and i love the color
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
x2 on getting rid of the tin can on your exhaust pipe..pretty dang cool truck.
The front light rack/bar on the front must be for a later model 4runner...
Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 AM

What's that thing on the hood in the third picture?? Also i think it would be funny to take a vid of your fart can exhaust. Just for the hell of it and a good laugh.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM

its a 4th rearview mirror to eliminate that blind spot behind you
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIcJw8o7VQ

it actually doesnt sound like a rice cannon, because its a 1kz not a 1.6L VTAAAAAAK haha.

though it does look horribly gay, so i might chop off the can, ill see how loud it is without it, if its too loud then ill probably put the can back on, but tuck it higher up so you cant see it.. im used to loud cars, but it IS gonna be a daily driver after all..

thanks for the compliments guys!

got lots of stuff planned for the truck, should look waaay better after i fiddle with it
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
they got diesel surfs in Australia right?? i think im moving to Australia and that would prob make me wanna move more
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM

remove the 4th mirror pop off the rain guards on the windows and the extendafenders deffinately cut or hide the ricer exuast and your set.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990mudslut
remove the 4th mirror pop off the rain guards on the windows and the extendafenders deffinately cut or hide the ricer exuast and your set.
x2. lol.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM

niiiice i wish i had the extra power of the 3.0 turbo diesel but mine can still pull a house down...
good purchase youll have it forever if you want!
sont listen to these guys the rain guards maybe but the flares and parking mirror are a must so you can see if your in the right lane...there just jealous of all your jdm toyota goodies and are used to stick toyota with no options and not as good of build quaility

Last edited by bigt; 06-06-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rb26
heres some pics, theres quite a few things im gonna change on it when it gets here, the rims and that horribly gay exhaust definately has to go, maybe ill just chop that can off, and keep the nice piping... but heres what it looks like as it sits at the moment!)
I'll take those rims if you don't want them. I'll run them till they're all bent up.

Nice find. What country is it coming from? Can't read the writing on the plates.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Nice find keep us posted with build pics. what size are those tires?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:16 PM

holu crap those window visors ARE HUUGE i though they was like my TOYOTA ones which are kinda big but i love them in the rain those ONES ARE MASSIVE!!!
i assume the OP is in canada as the 93 with the 3.o are just allowed in this year!

i cut my chrome tip off too!

Last edited by bigt; 06-06-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:11 AM

yup! im in Canada

haha, the window visors are rather massive, maybe i can trade someone for a set of oem jdm toyota ones haha

Originally Posted by 1990mudslut
the hell would i want to take off the fender flares? they are awesome! im indifferent about the 4th mirror so ill just leave it on, and the window visors ill have to decide when i see the car inperson, but yes, ill have to do something about that exhaust for sure...

and yeah, ill document the build as i go, got a prety good idea of what im gonna do to it in mind already, should be pretty awesome
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM

I have a 91' 2.4 surf and straight piped it and it sounds beautiful... like a mini cummins. and the window visors are window flares (like mud flares for your window) for when you are flinging mud and want your window cracked, like when smoking etc. very dope, and i would buy them if you were to sell them! and that is the cleanest surf I have seen bro, how much was it? if you dont mind my asking. peace!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by bezrq surf
I have a 91' 2.4 surf and straight piped it and it sounds beautiful... like a mini cummins. and the window visors are window flares (like mud flares for your window) for when you are flinging mud and want your window cracked, like when smoking etc. very dope, and i would buy them if you were to sell them! and that is the cleanest surf I have seen bro, how much was it? if you dont mind my asking. peace!
thanks man

believe you me, it took quite a while to find one that is 5spd, has the 1kz, isnt rusted to hell, isnt maroon, and isnt overpriced!

as for price.. i import cars myself, so i paid roughly half of what the market value is on these let me tell ya.. shops here that imports cars makes a killing! massive mark-up's on these jdm vehicles.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM

update!

got the truck finally! and im SUPER pleased with it, its everything that i expected, i gotta get used to driving with the 1kz though, im used to cars, and i keep shifting when i dont have to in the Hilux haha, its got so much torque its crazy!

runs very very well, only 139,000km's on the clock, so just barely broken in! haha

removed the running boards on the drivers side, looks 100x better now, it also came wtih a pair of PIAA foglights.. but they were hidden behind the lower plastic part of the bumper... and they also dont work, im not getting any power to the plug for them, so ill have to diagnose and figure that out.

also found out that the lift is made by a company called Pro-Staff, Zeal, its a 4" suspension lift with Rancho 9000's, the kit costs 176,000JPY, thats over $2000 canadian!

the interior was HORRID when i first got it, the previous owner tried to do some reupholstery himself, and failed miserably, he just stuck red vinyl on everything.. spent a good half a day removing all that crap and the goop underneath! looks much better now:

interior when it first arrived:

interior now:

oh and rims and tires are forsale if anyone is interested!

they are 17x8" 4.5" backspacing, forged 3 piece rims, super strong and very light, made in JAPAN so you know its top notch quality, these rims cost well over $500 each brand new.. comes with BFG Radial T/A's 275/60/17 im asking $1200CAD for the set.

Last edited by rb26; 07-28-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:02 AM

Cool truck, good find. It looks to me like stock front JDM fender flares and aftermarket rears. I'd definitely leave the fender mirror on, it makes it look like an import, but those window flares are a little much.

They still sell nudge bars like that brand new in Asia, I can get them, the identical hood mirrors, and JDM flares if anybodies interested.

Nice job on cleaning up the interior too. I figured that it must be torn up under that red vinyl, thats awesome that it was in good shape underneith.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Don't go postal" lol
Seriously though that thing would be great for mail delivery.

Nice truck. I couldn't imagine driving on the passengers side though that must take some getting used to.