86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gear swap Front Diffirential

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear swap Front Diffirential

I just finished swapping my rear 3rd with 4.88's and I found a set of gears at the junk yard for the front for 100.00. I have a couple of questions will this be a direct swap with my non auto hubs? The 4.88 this is coming off of is a 95 4runner with auto hubs. How hard is it to swap the front axle? Do I just need to pull out the carrier bolt in the front of the axle and pull off the CV's and the whole carrier drops out? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it should be a easy swap. It should bolt right in.
Also you need to know if your old diff had ADD or non ADD. ADD is automatic differential disconnect it was on trucks and 4 runner without manual hubs.
Likely the one you got is ADD. The old the shaft on a non add diff is swappable to the add diff.
You need to disconnect the cv shafts and pull the driveshaft and the 3 bolts holding the carrier in.
It may take some shoe horning.
I was able to compress the cv's enough with a pry bar to slip the differential flange bolts past the cv shafts.

Last edited by 934rnr; 03-30-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Ok that sounds easy enough. What will I have to swap as far as the ADD? Where are the needle bearings at? Can I just swap my axle shafts off of my carrier to the one with ADD?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Needle bearings are in the nuckle/spindle. You don't really touch them at all during the swap.

Just swap over the NON-ADD parts of the diff (it'l be obvious once you have both diffs sittin in front of you). I swapped in a set of 93 4runner diffs in mine. I had to swap most of the parts from my 91 front diff to the 93 diff, the wrecker torched everything off!

Swap is easy with two people. The hardest part was getting the diff in there with the stupid CV's in the way. The inner caps cept falling out on me...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks Jay I am getting the Diff tomorrow and I am hoping that I can have it installed in one night. The rear only took me and my brother about 2 hours for the whole swap.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM

Can you guys please confirm for me that with non ADD like I have with the hubs unlocked nothing in the front turns? I ask because I need a new fill plug it is completely stripped and I drained the oil last night and I only have one car. Will it hurt me to run it around town with the hubs unlocked with no gear oil in the front differential? Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
It'l be fine if the hubs are unlocked and you do not go into 4wd.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm about to do the same thing later this spring, I've got a 4.88 e-locker third coming my way and am trying to get ahold of a 4.88 front to swap in. So from what I get from the above posts, to swap a ADD axle into a non ADD front end, you just take some parts off or does the non ADD have a part that the ADD doesn't have or what?

Also, upinsmoke- how does your truck accelerate etc. with the 4.88's and 31's? What about freeway? I'll be running 31's with 4.88's until I get my 33's this summer.

Thanks! and sorry for the semi-thread jack
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Alright the swap is complete. I took me and my brother about 4 hours for the whole swap. It is a pretty easy swap the only things that I ran into was trying to get the CV bolts off what a PITA EVERYTHING has locktite on it. Also make sure you have a E-14 Socket (Star Socket) to take the Axle tube off of the ADD Diff so you can swap your Axle tube from your non ADD diff. I am running the 4:88's right now with 30" tires and reving around 3K at 55-60 mph. I am going to put on some 31's in the near future. 4:88's made a huge difference I live at about 3500 ft and I went up a couple of hills where before with the 4:10 gears it was 3rd gear 45 mph now I can go up the pass with ease 5th gear 60mph and only halfway down on the pedal. Let me know if you need anymore info Silver since the swap is fresh in my head
Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Sorry I forgot to post some links that might help you in the swap.

This one shows you the ADD carrier with the E-14 Sockets and Make sure you go buy one it was like 5 bucks for one at Napa. Dont round them off they are on there tight and took having that socket and a breaker bar!!!!!!

http://gearinstalls.com/rickdiaz.htm

This link will show you how to remove the front diff if you didnt know already but it helped me.

http://gearinstalls.com/ifs.htm
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by UpInSm0kE
Sorry I forgot to post some links that might help you in the swap.

This one shows you the ADD carrier with the E-14 Sockets and Make sure you go buy one it was like 5 bucks for one at Napa. Dont round them off they are on there tight and took having that socket and a breaker bar!!!!!!

http://gearinstalls.com/rickdiaz.htm

This link will show you how to remove the front diff if you didnt know already but it helped me.

http://gearinstalls.com/ifs.htm
Awesome! Thanks for the links I'm sure they'll be very helpful! You just completely swapped your axle tube from ADD to non ADD is what I'm getting right?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM

I got the whole carrier from the junk yard out of a 95' 4runner 3.0 auto tranny w/31" factory tire package with ADD. I pulled my carrier completely out of the truck and set the 2 side by side. It is pretty obvious what parts need to be swapped. I had to swap my axle tube (non ADD) to the 4:88 carrier and pull out the short axle shaft that looks like a gear it was something for the ADD but you will have to remove it to get your non ADD axle shaft in place. Then it is a piece of cake just reinstall your axle shaft into the carrier and bolt your axle tube back on. Make sure you clean all the surfaces for the tube and the front plate and use a gasket maker this would be the pits to put it all back together and have to pull it back out again.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by UpInSm0kE
I got the whole carrier from the junk yard out of a 95' 4runner 3.0 auto tranny w/31" factory tire package with ADD. I pulled my carrier completely out of the truck and set the 2 side by side. It is pretty obvious what parts need to be swapped. I had to swap my axle tube (non ADD) to the 4:88 carrier and pull out the short axle shaft that looks like a gear it was something for the ADD but you will have to remove it to get your non ADD axle shaft in place. Then it is a piece of cake just reinstall your axle shaft into the carrier and bolt your axle tube back on. Make sure you clean all the surfaces for the tube and the front plate and use a gasket maker this would be the pits to put it all back together and have to pull it back out again.
Thanks!