Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauges out

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooked up a couple 100watt lights to my truck using just the lead for the reverse lights to power them, grounded to bumper. When messing with them tonight I heard a loud pop and now reverse lights wont work, ( just got a new switch) and not a single gauge on my cluster works. What do you think happened? Where do I start? 95 3.0 standard pickup.

Last edited by iamwieb; 09-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Ouch. Have you checked the fuses? Thats exactly what a fuse is for.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
100 watts! Goodness! That's more than a headlight! You should not hook up just anything without first checking how much power/current the circuit can carry.

10-Amp "Gauge" fuse, connected to integration relay.

That means approx 120 watts is maximum for that circuit to power gauges, back-up lights, etc. add 100-watt bulb and BOOM!

If you want brighter back-up lights, you need a relay circuit OR LED lights-more light for low power.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I really want to know what the loud Kaboom was ??

The arc right where you were grounding might make a snapping noise but never a popping sound.

When a fuse opens unless you have your head right at the fuse block I doubt you would hear it.

Now since the back up lights were on I wonder did the bulbs explode??

adding 2 100 watt bulbs to the circuit caused a massive current draw
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 AM

Thanks guys, it was dark and I had some beers in me so I didn't wanna fumble dome fuses, already changed it this morning and gauges are back on. Love a simple fix, I do live in Texas so it could have been a gun or something, it just kinda happened when I was messing around with the lights.

Reverse lights still don't work but a switch is only 20$ so I'll replace that.

I got these lights off CL for cheap and I'm an ok electrician but that comes with a few blown fuses along the way.

I'm wondering how I could get these hooked up?
Where would resistors go along the power path, should I just go to the battery and a toggle? I'd like them to work seemlessly with the reverse lights and eventually with a toggle for the trail.

Thanks for the help. Btw I hooked both lights to one lead coming off the reverse light power wire, had to try, sometimes I just want stuff to be easier.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I really want to know what the loud Kaboom was ?? The arc right where you were grounding might make a snapping noise but never a popping sound. When a fuse opens unless you have your head right at the fuse block I doubt you would hear it. Now since the back up lights were on I wonder did the bulbs explode?? adding 2 100 watt bulbs to the circuit caused a massive current draw
Thanks, bulbs look ok. Loud noise was like a gunshot. I live in Texas so maybe it was that, or my neighbors screen door slamming or something.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
100 watts! Goodness! That's more than a headlight! You should not hook up just anything without first checking how much power/current the circuit can carry. 10-Amp "Gauge" fuse, connected to integration relay. That means approx 120 watts is maximum for that circuit to power gauges, back-up lights, etc. add 100-watt bulb and BOOM! If you want brighter back-up lights, you need a relay circuit OR LED lights-more light for low power.
What is a relay circuit?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 AM

Guessing this is what I want to do.

Gauges out-image-2362103115.jpg
Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by iamwieb
What is a relay circuit?
Your an "ok electrician" but don't know what a relay is?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Your an "ok electrician" but don't know what a relay is?
I know what one is but never installed one.

As far as my skills go, you're right, I'm a lousy electrician. Wish me luck.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-10-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:39 AM

Well, you need a relay as you've figured by now. You don't need the one you showed a double throw, just a SPSD. It's just like a switch, except 'flipping' a relay requires a little power. First of all, make sure you get a relay rated for 100 watts at 12 volts. Most relays will have the rating in AMPS. Use a simple online calculator to convert the amps to watts at 12 volts. Once you have that, buy the relay and it's fairly easy to set it up. I imagine the current draw of the relay circuit is not very much and can be wired right into your back-up light circuit. Oh, make sure you get a NORMALLY OPEN relay.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:21 AM

I prefer the "quick and dirty" approach to hooking up lights.
step 1) run wire from battery to switch, then from switch to lights
step 2) ground lights.
step 3) replace switch every two weeks.
step 4) buy an industrial switch that can handle everything.
step 5) melting and fires.
step 6) "yes, officer, im aware that my right turn signal is the only light on my truck, and that it only illuminates when I hit the brakes."
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 AM

no but seriously I never understood relays until I took an electrical engineering course (don't worry, that's not my major). Theyre awesome. Try to understand how they work before you go hooking them up. Google some stuff.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by turkeykiller365
no but seriously I never understood relays until I took an electrical engineering course (don't worry, that's not my major). Theyre awesome. Try to understand how they work before you go hooking them up. Google some stuff.
Then you must have been working on your BS in ME or CE .. maybe MSE... ?

"Replace switch every two weeks".. lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by iamwieb
I'm wondering how I could get these hooked up? Where would resistors go along the power path, ...
Resistors? There shouldn't be any resistors in a lighting hookup

Originally Posted by Gevo
... Most relays will have the rating in AMPS. Use a simple online calculator to convert the amps to watts at 12 volts. ....
Power (watts) = volts x amps. If you need an online calculator for that ...

100 watt 12v bulbs, therefore, draw 8.3 amps. When they turn on, there's a big in-rush current (when the filament is cold the resistance is lower), so you'd need a minimum 10amp relay. Which, fortunately, is a run-of-the-mill relay. (PS: it has to be rated for at least 10amp DC; DC is harder on relays than AC.)

For the lead from the battery to the relay to the lights, 12ga will (just barely) be enough, but you'll get a 6% voltage drop. Bigger wire would be a little better, but 12 is pretty hard to pull already. I would recommend running a separate ground wire back to the battery, rather than relying on the frame; the factory lights have a wired ground. (And don't try to "ground" anything to the bed; it's mounted on insulators!)

Last, if your battery is not brand new, don't leave those lights on for very long without the engine running. 8.3 amps is a big load.

edit: Oh, wait, you're talking about "a couple" of 100watt bulbs. Make that a 20amp relay, and 10ga wire minimum.

Last edited by scope103; 09-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Listen to Geveo and Scope and ^^, except for turkeykiller365' joke, of course- LOL!

Originally Posted by turkeykiller365
...Try to understand how they work before you go hooking them up...
Yes.

Disconnect those bulbs, troubleshoot back-up lights first.

Got a Digitam Multi-meter? Next to our senses - sight, touch, smell, hearing, and common- the DMM is the best tool for troubleshooting our trucks. Do not even do anything electrical until you have one.

Wait for a diagram. It's simple.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Power (watts) = volts x amps. If you need an online calculator for that ...

LOL!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 AM

You know .. we get so hung up trying to help a guy solve his problems, we forget to stop and say.. wtf you need two 100 watt rear facing lights for ONLY when you're backing up?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Wouldn't say I need them, I just had them and didn't want to mount these huge lights up front (they're huge in size) ( pro comp explorers) and wanted to see a bit better to back up, maybe light up a field when backed up.

Dunno, just trying to hook up something that came on from a stock switch.

Appreciate all the help and I've learned a lot. Thanx
Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM

I would add that you can get 40 amp bosch-style relays with harnesses on Amazon for dirt cheap. I usually buy the 5 pack, since I end up using them a lot for various on-car and off-car projects. For this project, you would only need one. The leads on the harness are not very big, but you can pull the sockets out, open up the clamps, and put in bigger wire if you desire.

Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive Amazon.com: AGT (5 Pack) 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style (40AMP-HRNS): Automotive

For what its worth, I have these on my headlight upgrade wiring harness. They've been there for over a year with no problems. That said, I do carry a couple of spares, just in case. I also used 4 of them to install a bluetooth handsfree in my wife's car, with no problems.

I should add that I am pretty impressed that you did not lash out at the forum folks having a little fun with you. Most folks get up in a snit, which really does not accomplish much at all.

Last edited by Sturmcrow; 09-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Gauges out