86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauges to install??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauges to install??

I have bought a cool 3 gauge pillar for my '87 truck. I am having a hard time figuring out which gauges to install to accent the factory cluster. I am considering an air/fuel ratio gauge (since the truck is EFI), tach (since I don't have one), and an ampmeter for the third. Can you guys give me some insight on this from all of your past trail experience as to which ones might be most valuable for me. Please keep in mind that I am limited to 2 1/16" gauges in the gauge pillar. I have the following gauge readings in my factory cluster.

Speedometer
Oil Pressure
Water Temperature
Battery Voltage
Fuel Level

I would also like any input that anyone has on the brand of gauges to use. Thanks.

Last edited by lVlr_87; 02-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2-1/16" is going to be one TINY tach...
ammeter is kinda redundant to the voltmeter

Hard to think of what would be real valuable, maybe EGT?

Can you return it and get a 1 pod unit big enough for a "real" tach?
Old 02-07-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think an A/F gauge is more useful on something with either a carb or forced induction. your EFI system isn't gonna let you make many adjustments there, so it probably won't tell you anything too useful.

ammeters are a BAD idea in my book, go with a voltmeter.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:07 PM

Get Autometer gauges- I believe in a good temp gauge (with the numbers instead of hot and cold), maybe a good oil pressure gauge with numerals, if you have auto transmission, try to get an A/T temperature gauge
Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Good input. I am liking the idea of a transmission temp guage for the A/T, tach(small is fine with me), and I would like to install a temp guage for my transfer case. Is there any way to get a temp sensor for it? I am also planning on installing an onboard air system at some point- do you guys think it is possible to get a guage that shows vacuum and air pressure kinda like -psi/+psi and have a switch for it. Or maybe just wire up the vacuum sensor so it could still just show as +psi and as long as I have it switched to vacuum I would know that to actually be the vacuum pressure. My plan would be to primarily monitor the engine vacuum system with it and use the switch to activate the air pressure monitoring "side" of the guage and the compressor simultaneously- will it work? I would have to do some engineering with the switch for two sensors (one for vacuum and one for the air tank) and to also act as the switch for a relay that would controll the higher amperage needed for the compressor. Rough idea for now- what do you guys think?

hijack my own thread- Kyle we have to get together sometime and have a beer and do some wheeling. I need someone to show me some trails around here. I have been to Shelton, Elbe and Evans Creek on my quads. I just got the truck a few months back so I haven't found the good places for some mild to medium wheeling in it yet. There is some wheeling here on the base but it is mostly just holes to go get stuck in and break stuff. No trails with an objective or an end point or something worth while to go see. Last time I went here on the base I accidentally found one that put water over the hood, flooded my carpets in the cab, and put water in the bed. It cost me an air filter, starter, alternator, diff fluid, and lots of cleaning. The cool thing is I made it out and home with no problem.

Last edited by lVlr_87; 02-07-2006 at 08:46 PM.