Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

gas selection and jet fuel

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas selection and jet fuel

well i been driving with the unleaded gas all these years and wanted to know if its all right to put in supreme in it.
I bought one of those STP addititives cleaners its a new one with JET FUEL. Hope this could give me a boost. But I don't want to follow through if putting supreme is a negative.

Its a 3.0 all ready slow and have the stock gears 4x4 with 12 wide rims and 33'' s tires so yeah its freakin slow.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Supreme gas will not harm your engine at all. It might even have a few more additives to clean your engine. The garbage about needing to stick with one grade of gas is garbage.

The benefit you might see is as follows:
When your engine is running at driving speeds (not idling), the combustion occurs a little before your pistons reach top dead centre. This is so the explosion has time to propagate throughout the combustion chambre and so that it begins exerting pressure on the piston exactly when it starts its down stroke. The faster the engine is running, the sooner the spark occurs to light the fuel, so that it has time propagate before the piston starts going down.

At full throttle, lots of air and fuel enter the combustion chambre each intake stroke. During the compression stroke, the air/fuel mix is compressed. As it is compressed, the molecules get closer together and it heats up. If it heats up too much, it will explode before the spark (recall the spark is supposed to occur at the optimum time) and the explosion exerts force on the piston while it is traveling upwards, effectively slowing it down.
This is the "pinging" sound people talk about. It sounds like marbles/ pebbles being shaken inside a tin can. It robs power and is bad for the engine.

Octane levels are higher in premium gas. Really all octane does is to be less combustible and less prone to detonating too soon on the compression stroke. As a result, if, and only if the fuel you are using is resulting in pre-detonation, will premium or a higher grade of gas will help.

For instance, I started out with 87 octane gas, got about 375km to a tank. I then switched to 89 octane and got 410km to a tank in similar condtions. I tried one tank of premium (91 octane) and got pretty much the same milage as the 87 octane.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Supreme" fuel has a higher octane rating which likely will make little or no difference to your vehicle. Higher Octane means that the fuel resists detonation better so it is generally recommended for vehicles that would have spark knock on lower octane fuels. Usually these are vehicles with higher compression ratios than yours.

There is one other reason to use "supreme". most fuel companies put in the full additive package in their top grade of fuel so that it is better at reducing deposits in the engine and fuel injectors.

I don't know anything about your "jet fuel" additive. The actual fuel that is used in jet engines is very much like diesel fuel and won't work in an automobile
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM

thanks matt and targetnut,
ima gon try the supreme first then the plus (89 octane) and test it out. As for the jet fuel it wait wait!!! I'll try the plus first and use the STP octane booster, it's made with jet fuel and says it's safe for all gasoline engines.
It says its an boosting octane plus the cleaning additives.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM

The STP additive (assuming it goes in the tank with the fuel) is only going to clean you injectors. That may give you some increase in performance, but Seafoam and cleaning the intake will probably to more.

Speaking of cleaning, you might as well clean out the intake. Remove the black pipe coming from the air box and with a long screwdriver or stick wrapped in a rag, wipe out the black goo. Spray some intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner) in there and let it stew a while. Afterwards, Seafoam it.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All gas is the same, save the octane. Gas stations have two tanks, on for high octane and one for low octane. The mid-grade is formed by mixing the two.

Additives.. well, for 20 cents more per gallon (low grade to high grade) you have to decide if its worth it.

For an engine designed for the low grade, you will see zero benefit for using higher octane. New cars can adjust to the octane, so the engine designed for 93 will get certain HP and if you use lower octane the engine will compensate and you will lose some HP. The inverse is not true, where is you use higher octane the car will adjust and give you more HP. It is all about what the car was designed for.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Out of high school I worked at a "major name" gas station, one day the tanker pulled up and begain filling the main tanks. After filling up the regular tank, he had an extra 600 gals of regular fuel with nowhere to put it.

The tanker operator looks at Me and said "I'll just put it in the premium tank". Just like it was no big deal. Just another day. I told My manager and he looked at Me like I was stupid.

Jet fuel is basically kerosene

If your compression ratio is less than 9.5 to 1, your wasting your money any ways. even if it is 100% premium

Thanks Kiwi
Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

you can put jet-A in diesels its dryer but it works. we do it all the time with our aircraft tugs
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 PM

Does the fuel additive actually say CONTAINS JET FUEL? If so that's the funniest promotion I've heard in a while. Would you buy it if it said, CONTAINS DIESEL? Because jet fuel is similar to diesel which isn't that much different that veggie oil. I wouldn't put glorified veggy oil in my truck. It's probably going to smoke like crazy. In fact, "smoke" in war plane movie, is often diesel injected into the exhaust.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my mom and i go to this "special" gas station and get 100 octane gas (100 octane= jet fuel) for 6 dollars a gallon before we go to race. my mom's got a mustang cobra that gives her more problems than its worth, but damn does that thing rocket!!!

now shes got an old ass toyota carolla that she drives to the store.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM

so far it's going good. I feel that it is much smoother and more sensitive, the throttle. It picks up pretty fast and as far as miles, looks like it takes the same about as the unleaded. I have to wait till prob friday or saturday to calculate the results.

As for the seaform, can I pour that in the gasoline? Didn't hear of this product before.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
my mom and i go to this "special" gas station and get 100 octane gas (100 octane= jet fuel) for 6 dollars a gallon before we go to race. my mom's got a mustang cobra that gives her more problems than its worth, but damn does that thing rocket!!!

now shes got an old ass toyota carolla that she drives to the store.
jet fuel is basically diesel, not high octane gas. the gas you are getting at the airport (i assume your talking about gas that normally goes into planes with you calling it "jet fuel") is aviation fuel or avgas.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
STP has been calling it jet fuel for as long as I can remember. I believe their definition of jet fuel is kerosene.

"The only other jet fuel that is commonly used in civilian turbine engine-powered aviation is called Jet B, a fuel in the naphtha-kerosene region that is used for its enhanced cold-weather performance."

From wiki...

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 02-28-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

A lot of injector cleaners are just diesel.

Jet A has a flash point higher than 100 deg F.

I just started working on our fueling trucks for the jets. Jet A is different than diesel, kind of burns the skin. We use it to pre-fill the fuel filters for the diesel engines that run the trucks.

Been changing the filters for the aircraft fuel pumps. Cost is more that $1000 per truck. It is done once a year, or earlier if they become restricted. The most fuel flow I have seen so far was 450 GPM.

Last edited by Yoda; 02-28-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
jet fuel is kero + deicers

100 octane isnt jet fuel, its just 100 octane regular gasoline.

Octane is just a measurement of how well it resists combusting because of pressure...which is opposite of cetane (the ratings that you see on the diesel pump) which is how well it combusts under pressue

You're actually better off running the lowest octane you can run without it knocking. the higher octanes just have things like toulene/xylene in them to raise the octane, and toulene/xylene has a lower energy per gallon than gasoline, hence premium actually has less energy in it. Very slightly anyway. The reason high end performance cars run premium is because it wont "explode" before the spark goes off (detonation). Performance cars have higher compression than most street cars, and so regular gas will detonate in those engines.

If you're worried about detergents because you've been watching too many shell commercials or something just get some injector cleaner every once in awhile to put in the gas.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 02-28-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM

The only difference in gasoline is the additives. It even all flows out of the same pipe, when the conoco tanker pulls up to the dispensing pipe at the refinery that was just spewing out exxons gasoline the only thing that changes is what they dump into the tanker to mix with the gas LOL........

......IMHO only; no proof of this later thought------> it's more important to get gasoline from newer stations tanks than to worry about octane rating. The longer a tank has been in the ground the more chance of water & debris being in it but even that is minor since there should be filters on the hose.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
The only difference in gasoline is the additives. It even all flows out of the same pipe, when the conoco tanker pulls up to the dispensing pipe at the refinery that was just spewing out exxons gasoline the only thing that changes is what they dump into the tanker to mix with the gas LOL........

......IMHO only; no proof of this later thought------> it's more important to get gasoline from newer stations tanks than to worry about octane rating. The longer a tank has been in the ground the more chance of water & debris being in it but even that is minor since there should be filters on the hose.
well as far as the tanker thing goes there is a difference on what we get on the tanker (I moved hess gasoline, ethanol, and diesel for awhile) It is refined the same, and then additives are added on their end. Most of the tankers aren't owned by the companies anymore for liability reasons so it pretty much comes down to short term (1-5 year or so) charters by a specific company... enough of my rambling about the tanker business
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
well as far as the tanker thing goes there is a difference on what we get on the tanker (I moved hess gasoline, ethanol, and diesel for awhile) It is refined the same, and then additives are added on their end. Most of the tankers aren't owned by the companies anymore for liability reasons so it pretty much comes down to short term (1-5 year or so) charters by a specific company... enough of my rambling about the tanker business
You pretty much just affirmed what I said from how I read it....that the only difference is the additives. My sisters professor was a chemist at a refinery & said it's all the same gas, flowing from the same pipe, refined the exact same way & only the individual brands additive is different (Chevrons techron etc. etc.) This professor said that they billed per so many gallons of crude to fuel & when the meter said they had refined that much they shipped it.....in essence you may be buying Texaco gasoline from an Exxon station because it's all stored together in the same place & just gets metered out according to who is owed how many gallons of what & is identical until the additive is added (if any not all companies use additives, some don't)

So what exactly do you mean by "as far as the tanker thing goes there is a difference on what we get on the tanker"; that part confuses me. Not being facetious or anything I just really don't understand what you mean.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 PM

i mean the 87 and the 93 are different. they flow us the 87. stop the transfer. then flow the 93. the additives are on their end. They stay in different tanks on the ship, and come off separately. There is a little mixing because the pipelines have some leftovers in them, but its tested from the tank by an inspector hired by the company to make sure the right amount, and the right quality comes out...same thing for all refined products. Measuring and testing is a fairly complex process because oil expands as its heated up, as well as the trim of the ship, etc.

The refineries have chemists that work for em, and decide how to mix what to make it what it is, so i'm not 100% on the differences, but it comes off the refining tower at the same level, and the additives change the octane.

Thats all probably way more than you ever wanted to know.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Ah, you're referring to the octane level, I'm talking about gasoline of the same octane & the additives (such as Chevron with Techron or Brenjens with Seafoam lol) being the only difference. I.E. the local Wal-Mart's Murphy oil gasoline vs. Exxon of the same grade will be identical since government regulations require that all octane levels of all gasolines sold in the U.S. contain cleaning additives that prevent the accumulation of deposits in engines & fuel supply systems; the only difference would be the type of additive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gas selection and jet fuel