86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel rail spraying fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel rail spraying fuel

I was replacing the idler pulley between the cams on 3.0vze. In order to do so had to remove a fuel line that crosses from one side of the fuel rail to the other across the front of the engine. After I put it back together when I start it fuel sprays out of the left side of it but not the right. I checked and everything is tight. I also removed a bunch of vacuum hoses in the process.dont know if that changes anything. Also there is a cable near the throttle body that runs to a black box o the drivers side the when the gas is pressed I would think would retract but doesn't. It is the cable with the ball on the end in a rubber grommet. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
the crush washers that are used with the union bolt of the hard lines are not reusable. get some new ones directly from the dealership. cheap.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
the crush washers that are used with the union bolt of the hard lines are not reusable. get some new ones directly from the dealership. cheap.
Absolutely. Good advice.

(I always advise getting two more of each size you need; in your case, you'll only need one size. Somehow, if you only get just what you need, one of the washers will manage to "jump" into the grass!)

Last edited by scope103; 04-28-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Fuel psi bypass regulator

Washers are a must IMO any time you mess with fuel lines. Never hurts to get several from dealership and why wast the time having to take something back appart for a leak. Also make sure you didn't get junk in the bypass or the system will be over pressurized and find week spots/damage injectors.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

With my Fumble fingers I buy them in bags of 50

I am good for at least ten to do two connections

I watch them just vanish I think they are a advanced life form able to teleport to another dimension.

Last one took my Snap On Line wrench with it
Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM

replace fuel injectors

My son and I just replaced the original injectors with upgraded injectors. His idea, not mine, but it runs better now. We followed the advice of not taking off the coolant hoses to the throttle body. Took off all the various hoses to the upper plenum after digital picture of where everything went. Unbolted and held plenum out of way forward with bungee cord to bumper. Carefully bent forward fuel line away from fuel rail to get the hold down bolt, took both hold down bolts from rail and lifted fuel rail up and toward passenger side. Unplugged and removed all four injectors. Super lube that came with injectors used on both ends and refitted into rail. First attempt at pressurizing found #3 injector spraying fuel. Removed rail, cleaned out seat and replaced. Second attempt found #4 injector dripping so took out bolts and removed again. Cleaned out seat and noticed that the plug wires were twisted on each other and causing tension. Untwisted and put everything back and no leaks. YAY! After test drive found some coolant sprayed on passenger side wheel well and found the lower hose to throttle body had step partly off from the repeated movement. Repositioned and tightened and all good without gas or coolant leaks.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by lharvey16
.... We followed the advice of not taking off the coolant hoses to the throttle body. ...:
So how do you feel now about that advice?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 AM

advice

made the whole thing doable in two hours, so, good!