86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel leak at pump/sending unit, need a new. . .something

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel leak at pump/sending unit, need a new. . .something

edit again: i need the fuel pump mounting bracket assembly, not the sending unit (duh). i think the part number is 23206.

edit: upon further inspection, i don't believe i'll be able to replace the one line. i'm pretty sure that it is welded to the sending unit. so i'll need an entire sending unit. can anyone tell me what models there are and what vehicle years are interchangeable? the one listed below looks different than mine so i'm not sure if i can use it or not. anyone know?

so i finally had to re-drop my tank again to properly fix what i 1/2 a$$ed fixed this past summer. i got a major fuel leak. i assumed that i knew right where it was coming from, cuz, like i said, i only 1/2 a$$ed fixed it when it was a problem this summer, and when i dropped the tank a couple inches (so i could see) and turned the engine over, i was right. i have 2 pin-hole leaks in the metal line coming off of the sending unit that turns into the flex hose that mates to the metal line that heads up front to the engine. i tried patching it with JB weld (i said i 1/2 a$$ed it!) this past summer. it held for awhile, but finally REALLY gave way about 2 weeks ago and now i can barely get enough fuel pressure to start the truck (although oddly once i get it started it runs flawlessly, despite the constant leaking of gas underneath the truck).

anyways though, i can't find my camera, so i had to scan the page out of the repair manual. what is circled in red is the portion of metal line that is leaking, the green lines are where the pinholes are located. (if i find my camera (my wife might know where it is) then i'll attach a real picture). is it possible to replace just this line? everything is pretty rusty back there. i'd prefer to just replace the entire sending unit while i'm at it. the problem is, i'm one of the millions that are unemployed right now, so money is tight. which is why if that one line can be replaced i might just do that. any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails fuel leak at pump/sending unit, need a new. . .something-fuel-pump.jpg  

Last edited by ayoung101; 02-24-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I have this, Dont know if its exactly what you need, I believe it came off of my 91, let me know if ya wanna work something out..
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM

yeah, i don't think that's the same one as mine, i'm not sure if it'll work or not. i'm going to have to find out. it sure is in a helluva lot better shape than mine, that's for sure. . .
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM

This is a real easy fix, just get a piece of I think 3/8 brake or fuel line whatever is the same size. Also get a Ford PCV valve kit. I am not sure what it is but you can find it in the HELP section part at the parts store. It is the one with the metal line. You will need the fitting it is the same as the fuel line fitting. Just drill out your old one, bend the new tube the correct way and install it. Put some JB around the top and your good to go. I have done this many times no problem. I would recommend doing all of them as once you move them all usally something else breaks.