Front/rear diff and transfer case plug sizes? - YotaTech Forums

Go Back  YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Reload this Page >

Front/rear diff and transfer case plug sizes?

Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front/rear diff and transfer case plug sizes?

Reply

Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front/rear diff and transfer case plug sizes?

This must be some national security top secret information because I can't find it anywhere, not in my Chilton's, Google, other forums or here. Does anyone happen to know the fill/drain plug sizes for front/rear differential and transfer case on a 1995 4Runner, 4x4, 3.0 auto? Also the wheel hub nut size? Was told 54mm in a previous thread but need to confirm before buying a socket.

thanks in advance!

Coffee
TheCoffee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco East Bay
Posts: 6,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
That's why sockets come in sets.

I don't think you're going to find reliable "published" information for something that's so easy to measure yourself. And so easy for the manufacturer to change mid-production.

So do that. Get one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...per-61585.html You'll use it all the time.
scope103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM
  #3  
Fossilized
Staff
iTrader: (6)
 
dropzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 18,976
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCoffee View Post
This must be some national security top secret information because I can't find it anywhere, not in my Chilton's, Google, other forums or here. Does anyone happen to know the fill/drain plug sizes for front/rear differential and transfer case on a 1995 4Runner, 4x4, 3.0 auto? Also the wheel hub nut size? Was told 54mm in a previous thread but need to confirm before buying a socket.

thanks in advance!

Coffee
54 mm is the size of the nuts for the front hub

24mm is the normal drain plug size
however you will find some as low as 14mm
dropzone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
That's why sockets come in sets.

I don't think you're going to find reliable "published" information for something that's so easy to measure yourself. And so easy for the manufacturer to change mid-production.

So do that. Get one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...per-61585.html You'll use it all the time.
Which is why I asked here rather than buying entire set/s for 2 sockets ranging from 14mm to 54mm. Fortunately someone else had the answer.
TheCoffee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 37
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
54 mm is the size of the nuts for the front hub

24mm is the normal drain plug size
however you will find some as low as 14mm

Thanks a bunch for the information! Very helpful.
TheCoffee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM
  #6  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
wyoming9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I live in New Tripoli Pa out in the woods
Posts: 13,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Red face

Then you might find Allen Head plugs .

The thing with these trucks is you never know what your going to find unless you owned it from new .

Changing the first time Go to or Oder all new plugs from Toyota

Always remove the fill plug before draining I bet most of us have stories
wyoming9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Valvoman
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
0
08-28-2014 06:23 PM
Dom2332
Newbie Tech Section
8
03-04-2014 12:20 PM
4wheelingyota
Newbie Tech Section
5
08-30-2010 05:45 AM
swerks
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
0
10-23-2006 03:38 PM
dave89144
03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas
5
10-26-2005 01:15 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front/rear diff and transfer case plug sizes?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: