Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front crank seal change in truck?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front crank seal change in truck?

1993 4x4 pickup w/22RE
Today I noticed oil spray all around the engine compartment and it looks like the front seal is starting to go. I've never done one on a 22RE before and was wondering if it's possible to do without pulling the engine. Is there enough room to play around in there if I pull the radiator, shroud, and front grill? I guess I'm figuring correct that the crank pully bolt is going to be a total bitch to get off too
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My V6 doesn't need to pull the engine to replace the seal, has pretty much space there, and I am currently diong mine also... Yeah the darn crank bolt is a b*tch... but you can try this though, get a long ranchet or you can use the torque ranchet and lay the other end touching the frame and make sure that it is in the opening position then crank your engine, but don't start it, just by cranking it a bit, that should have a chance that it will come loose, try heating the bolt first before cranking it ( 500 F?). But I fail on mine trying that cranking. We successfully done it before so no doupt that you can't do it that way.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea its totally possible with the engine in the truck. Might as well just pull the oil pump and put the seal in with it not mounted to the motor.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal4Running
Yea its totally possible with the engine in the truck. Might as well just pull the oil pump and put the seal in with it not mounted to the motor.
you could but thats not necessary.. its easy you dont need to pull the grill.. just the rad, shroud, fan(i think), belts and of course the crank pulley (use the starter to get it off). then your there
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 PM

OK, done the same procedure today and finally got it loose, if you have the tool this is all you need, picture below, save you $100+ on tool.

Name:  DSC03071.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  84.5 KB
Just as the picture shown, and make sure that you have it on the opening position then just by turning the key to start then immediately shut it back down, DO NOT START IT, so goodluck man.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 10-15-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Nice Trick with the starter for a Impact Gun hehe
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM

I think I'm finally getting around to doing this on this weekend, getting to be about a quart of oil a week now and getting things messy. My question is am I going to need a gear or crank pulley puller or does it come off fairly easy once you get the crank bolt out? Hopefully the starter/breaker bar method will make easy work of that.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
Nice Trick with the starter for a Impact Gun hehe
Had a buddy helping me do my truck. When I took my clutch out I saw the damage it did to my ring gear.

But hey, ifn' yas want to ruin your flywheel, go for it.

Make sure you put some lube on that seal when you put the balancer back in. Lube up the balancer too.

Don't be afraid to put a speedy sleeve on your old balancer either, you will be changing it real soon again if you have a nice gouge in your old balancer.

I opted to just replace my old balancer with a new one. Found it on Ebay and it's been about 4 years since I put it in.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You'll need a puller to get it off. It has a keyway that it slides off of.

The starter/breaker bar works well enough. Just soak it with some penetrating fluid well enough beforehand. Also, disconnect the distributor before you bump the starter. Saves on mishaps, eh.

One more thing. You might go to O'Reilly or NAPA and get a repair sleeve in case you've some wear on the front of the crank. A new seal won't stop the leaking if so. And, if you don't need it, you can always take it back. They're cheap enough.....less than $10, atleast.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by farmerj
Had a buddy helping me do my truck. When I took my clutch out I saw the damage it did to my ring gear.

But hey, ifn' yas want to ruin your flywheel, go for it.

Make sure you put some lube on that seal when you put the balancer back in. Lube up the balancer too.

Don't be afraid to put a speedy sleeve on your old balancer either, you will be changing it real soon again if you have a nice gouge in your old balancer.

I opted to just replace my old balancer with a new one. Found it on Ebay and it's been about 4 years since I put it in.
That's a good point. I've never had a problem chipping the flywheel, but it's a possibility. You're not the only one I've heard this happen to.

O'Reilly, NAPA may have a tool for the pulley to hold it in place. Check it out.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM

I ended up putting the truck in 5th gear, low range and blocked the tires.

using my big breaker bar, everything popped loose just fine.

I also got lucky in that when I did pull my balancer, it slid right off with no puller. Ya never know how lucky you might git.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input, got a balancer off ebay. Won't have to worry about damaging the old one now if it's stubborn coming off and my gear puller damages it.

Last edited by Beaniam; 02-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Speedy sleeve slips onto the balancer. It's purpose is to create a new surface for the seal to fit against. It's really quite "flimsy" when it's now on the balancer. Easy to damage while handling.

Slip it onto the balancer, slide the balancer on, piece of cake... Make sure you put a touch of sealant, NOT RTV, on the balancer before you put the sleeve on. a really light coat is what I do. Stops it from weeping out the balancer.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the groove
Name:  4RUNNER463.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  22.5 KB
Name:  4RUNNER464.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  44.9 KB
sleeve installed
Name:  4RUNNER468.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  24.8 KB
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM

thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warning!

If you use the starter method for breaking loose the crank pulley bolt,

Stand clear and don't watch!

I used to work with a fellow that had a 4" scar on the side of his head from when something broke when someone else cranked it while he was watching

He's lucky he did not lose an eye,

Or his life!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM

yeah I'll be working alone, won't be anyone around the engine when I'm breaking it loose. That's only if I can't do it with a breaker bar first which I hope I can. I'm also not too worried about chipping a tooth or two on my flywheel. My clutch is going to need to be replaced soon and I'm going with a marlin clutch and flywheel so it's coming out anyway. Thanks for the heads up
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 AM

I guess on the upside I don't have to worry about rust or any bolts in the front end of the truck seizing up

Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM

i had a bad time w/the crank bolt and it had to be chiseled off.

i found 2 different thickness seals so i didnt need to use a repair sleeve, just the other thickness seal.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet the tie rod adjustments are still stuck/rusted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front crank seal change in truck?